Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #5,776 of 46,499
Hi. I'm really glad to see this thread. I just got HD650 about 6 days and as soon as I got it on the first day, it sounds really muddy. I even thought that I did wrong decision to buy it....But after 50+ hrs burn in its sound really better and extend high frequency and more clear even without any amp (55hrs is enough to know its sound?) Actually I bought it for mixing and mastering purpose but some said it's not suite for my need and HD650 is for music not for analytical. However I don't wanna sell it cos I like it more and more. So is there any head-fiers use it as mixing headphone? And buying the decent amp can make HD650 more analytical nature? Please help me I really want to love my HD650 :)

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #5,777 of 46,499
I just purchased the HD650s from Gopacker87, and should have them within a few days! I'm really looking forward to them! I don't have much amp wise, but have a PA2V2 on the way. I understand this won't be enough to power these awesome headphones, but I a little stripped of cash right now.

Any good cheaper amps for this set? Suggestions?

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,778 of 46,499
i really like the o2 objective amp. only about 150 from jdslabs and it makes the hd650s sound great.

Quote:
I just purchased the HD650s from Gopacker87, and should have them within a few days! I'm really looking forward to them! I don't have much amp wise, but have a PA2V2 on the way. I understand this won't be enough to power these awesome headphones, but I a little stripped of cash right now.

Any good cheaper amps for this set? Suggestions?

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5,779 of 46,499
The HeadRoom Total BitHead and Total AirHead portable amps also do surprisingly well with the HD650s. They're $100-150 at headphone.com.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5,780 of 46,499

Quote:
The HeadRoom Total BitHead and Total AirHead portable amps also do surprisingly well with the HD650s. They're $100-150 at headphone.com.

Airhead can drive the HD-650 with ease, even the Q701 fairly well. Will it sound as good as a full desktop amp? Probably not, but it's quite good.
You can crank the Airhead to very loud levels with the HD-650 and it will almost never give you the clipping/over voltage red light.

Supposedly the silver grill HD-650 is very slightly easier to drive..however this is possible.

Or you could TRY to find a used Fiio E9. Despite what some say, it can drive the HD-650 with ease and even sound good. IMO it's a better match for the Sennheiser's than any AKG.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,781 of 46,499

Quote:
Is the T1 a refined HD650, with the natural tones and excellent bass rendition of the LCD-2? I've got to hear one if that's the case.

I bought the T1 but sold it after two weeks. Kept my HD650 though. The T1... was quite different. More leaner but not as sweet. Midrange and midbass I felt were better on the hd650. It boils down to taste. I'm kinda interested to try the HD 800 but as I preferred the HD650 to the T1, I'm not that enthused.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #5,782 of 46,499

Quote:

+1 on the Total Airhead.   I also have a vintage Headroom Supreme that sounds wonderful with the HD650's 
and has more drive than I'll ever need.  Lot's of slam and bass weight.
Hibuck....

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #5,783 of 46,499

Quote:
Hi. I'm really glad to see this thread. I just got HD650 about 6 days and as soon as I got it on the first day, it sounds really muddy. I even thought that I did wrong decision to buy it....But after 50+ hrs burn in its sound really better and extend high frequency and more clear even without any amp (55hrs is enough to know its sound?) Actually I bought it for mixing and mastering purpose but some said it's not suite for my need and HD650 is for music not for analytical. However I don't wanna sell it cos I like it more and more. So is there any head-fiers use it as mixing headphone? And buying the decent amp can make HD650 more analytical nature? Please help me I really want to love my HD650 :)

The HD650's are on the darker side of headphones (compared to my much brighter Beyer T70s [more high frequency] the HD650's are deeper.

The thing to remember when mastering is to use multiple playback devices, if it sounds good on HD650's it may not sound good on DT770's, if it sounds good on headphones it may not on some speakers. Play with it and find a happy medium. The HD650's would be fine for mastering, but I would think any engineer would benefit running their track a few times through sensitive cans to check the noise floor, I've noticed that noise my HD650's don't pick up the T70's or my IEM's do. That adds grain and hiss to some tracks when compared between the phones.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #5,784 of 46,499
Still waiting for mine, unfortunately. I ordered them a week ago tomorrow, which isn't that long ago, but the situation surrounding their delivery has me annoyed.

UPS attempted to deliver at 2:00 PM on Thursday so, of course, no one is home to sign for them. Why they would attempt to deliver an item that needs signed for this early, i have no idea, especially since they normally come around 5 PM without fail. No big deal, whatever. Well the next day i want and wait and when i finally check online, i'm greeted with the message "Exception occurred, UPS has solved the issue - Delivery Rescheduled". Hwait, what? SO they lost them temporarily, forgot to put them on the truck.

What the heck, how does that happen? They were just on the truck yesterday.

So again, i wait for them today. Wait, and wait and wait. Someone has to be home at all times during the day, because they could come at any time to drop them off.Finally i check the status; they rescheduled the delivery for MONDAY. Why Monday? Why not today? UPS delivers on Saturdays and it's way more likely for people to be home on Saturdays. 

So UPS came at the wrong time, then lost them, then decided to reschedule the next delivery two business days later FIVE days after they were supposed to arrive. Obviously i'm upset more on principal than actual time, but seriously, that's almost a week after they were supposed to come. What if that package was important? What if it was time-sensitive?

Frustrating stuff 
mad.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,785 of 46,499
Delivery issues are the worst. I hope you have no more problems with UPS and that you enjoy your HD650's that much more. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Still waiting for mine, unfortunately. I ordered them a week ago tomorrow, which isn't that long ago, but the situation surrounding their delivery has me annoyed.

UPS attempted to deliver at 2:00 PM on Thursday so, of course, no one is home to sign for them. Why they would attempt to deliver an item that needs signed for this early, i have no idea, especially since they normally come around 5 PM without fail. No big deal, whatever. Well the next day i want and wait and when i finally check online, i'm greeted with the message "Exception occurred, UPS has solved the issue - Delivery Rescheduled". Hwait, what? SO they lost them temporarily, forgot to put them on the truck.

What the heck, how does that happen? They were just on the truck yesterday.

So again, i wait for them today. Wait, and wait and wait. Someone has to be home at all times during the day, because they could come at any time to drop them off.Finally i check the status; they rescheduled the delivery for MONDAY. Why Monday? Why not today? UPS delivers on Saturdays and it's way more likely for people to be home on Saturdays. 

So UPS came at the wrong time, then lost them, then decided to reschedule the next delivery two business days later FIVE days after they were supposed to arrive. Obviously i'm upset more on principal than actual time, but seriously, that's almost a week after they were supposed to come. What if that package was important? What if it was time-sensitive?

Frustrating stuff 
mad.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,786 of 46,499
Wow. That sucks. I live in Europe and I ordered them on a wednesday at like 2 in the morning. My packaged arrived at my local post office early thursday morning. So basically 36 hours between order and pick-up. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #5,788 of 46,499
Hello Sennheiser fans! I am in the market for a 650, but the word seems to be that the headphones work best with modified cords. Could someone point me in the right direction for that information please?  I guess it would be cool to buy a used one with the cords already modded out, but I imagine those don't make it to the market very often. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #5,789 of 46,499
Here ya go:

http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger

I believe there were other tests as well with even better testing conditions, but I couldn't find it. I do remember though that the results were the same.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #5,790 of 46,499
Here ya go:

http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger

I believe there were other tests as well with even better testing conditions, but I couldn't find it. I do remember though that the results were the same.

Not to imply I am a believer, but I do think it is prohibited to point to ABX results in this subforum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back