Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 4, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #1,306 of 46,499
Well i have a pair of beyerdynamic dt 48 and they are up there with the k1000 and hd 800 and they have been in production for over 70 years and have been used in tv stations, etc.

They have no veil and i have the dt 48 e 200 ohm model and they do a good job at balanceing timbres from what i read and it makes the timbres sound like they have no veil.

You ought to try out a dt 48 sometime but it has no eq.

May 4, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #1,308 of 46,499
True, the veil is a popular complaint. To be honest, I'm not sure if I agree with the term "veil". It implies that there's something wrong, or less than optimal, and there really isn't. I view the HD650's with the stock cable as simply neutral. In fact, once in a while I'll plug the stock cable back in when the mood strikes me for that ultra reference type of sound. The Cardas cable will wipe that neutrality away, and replace the factory Sennheiser sound with more pop and presence. Some call that removing the veil. To me, the Cardas makes the HD650's sound a little more "Grado-ish", at the same time retaining about 85% of it's trademark Sennheiser sound. I happen to like that pseudo-hybrid kind of sound - it's like the best of both worlds. Although, like I said, the original factory cable is still perfectly fine - remember the engineers who designed the 650's did so with their own cable in mind. The drivers and baffles in the headphone are all meant to compliment each other to produce a certain sound. Personally, I'm OK with a tweaked headphone. It may not be what the engineers intended, but it works for me.

May 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #1,310 of 46,499
I got my 650's in today and they sounded great right out the box. Honestly I didn't think they sounded bad straight from my ipod. For sure they are not loud with the ipod but I don't hear that "veil" everybody says sennheiser has. So far i've only burned them in for 4 hours but I love them. I will for sure get a amp in a couple of months though. Overall glad I ordered them.

May 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #1,311 of 46,499
It seems that the older version (pre-2007 or 8?) was the source of the terms "veil" and "bassy." My new unit is much less so, perhaps not at all. Bass hangover is almost gone. I had both in the house on the same cable(s) for comparison and was very pleased with the change. (I use a Cardas cable but the stock one was only a little warmer and softer.) Maybe it is time to put the "veil" term to bed. OTOH, many headphones are rather excessive on upper-mid detail (and sibilance in some cases), so by comparison I could see someone "criticizing" the 650s.

May 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #1,312 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel760 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my 650's in today and they sounded great right out the box. Honestly I didn't think they sounded bad straight from my ipod. For sure they are not loud with the ipod but I don't hear that "veil" everybody says sennheiser has. So far i've only burned them in for 4 hours but I love them. I will for sure get a amp in a couple of months though. Overall glad I ordered them.

This surprises me. I had a chance last week to listen to a brand new 650 and compare it to my 2 year old pair with Headphile Blacksilver cable. Frankly, there was no comparison: the new pair sounded muffled, harsh and closed in. Since I can't believe an aftermarket cable could make such a significant difference, it has to be burn-in.

I've had a lot of experience with many different 650s, and I know that they only get better with use. I personally couldn't listen to an out-of-the-box pair, and I can well understand people listening to new pairs not liking them. So if you like them already, Miguel, you're in for a very pleasant ride as they gradually burn-in. Happy listeninhg.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,313 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that the older version (pre-1997 or 8?) was the source of the terms "veil" and "bassy."

Er, no, they don't go back quite that far. I think you mean 2007/8.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #1,314 of 46,499
Ok, my only problem i've having with the hd650's is at times they are a bit grainy. Is this because of low quality mp3s, no amp, and insufficient burn in? Thanks in advance. Other than the grainy at times the sounds is amazing.

May 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #1,315 of 46,499
I received my HD 650 today. First impressions are good. For the moment, I can only compare with my Beyerdynamic DT880.

The only thing that bothers me is that the HD 650 clamps too hard. As result the sound is like you're listening to it in a small little box. The DT880 doesn't clamp at all and gives a more spacious sound, which I like.

However, as said before: first impressions are good. I expected a bit more bass, but that's no negative point... just a wrong expectation from my side. I will give the HD 650 the time to burn in now.

May 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,316 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel760 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, my only problem i've having with the hd650's is at times they are a bit grainy. Is this because of low quality mp3s, no amp, and insufficient burn in? Thanks in advance. Other than the grainy at times the sounds is amazing.

You NEED an amp with HD650s.

May 6, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #1,317 of 46,499
My first pair of the high-end side of headphones and I must say, I wasn't a fan of the Sennheiser sound, I was a Grado fan. But after getting my HD650 cheap from Hong Kong, I am impressed. Never got sick of it one bit. Runs well with any music you give it. I adore the soundstage and the lows the most! Definately worth getting

May 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #1,318 of 46,499
how do the 650 compare to ultrasone 900?

am i missing out on this iconic phone?  i just had some unpleasant sennxperience in past and never gave another try........ everyone loves this phone, what are its weaknessess???

May 7, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #1,320 of 46,499
I got my HD650 two or three days ago. They have around 50 hours of burn in. As some people explains in this thread, I must say I was surprised with the differences between what I expected and what I got:

1. People usually say they are dark: I find them quite neutral.
  2. Others say they have too much bass: I find it present, but also balanced and never gets into the mids. It's great.
  3. I also hear a lot of times that they "no not resolve voices well". Well probably speakers like Dali or Monitor Audio make voices more real, but I find them quite natural. Maybe *just a bit* recessed, but never so distant.

Jazz and Grado probably play well together, but I clearly prefer my new HD650 for this: now I can follow basses easily and hit-hats don't dominate too much the scene as happened before.

I tried them with my Audio-GD Compass, Gamma1 DAC and the headphone out of a Cambridge Audio 540R. They are a lovely pair of headphones and all I expect is that things will get even better after proper burn in.

I never thought I could be so happy getting something so far away from my expectations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back