Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,336 of 46,535
Anybody got both HD 600 and 650?

I just got my HD 600..I really think they are too bright with little sibilance...My HD 595 is less refined but definitely warmer...

my question is, will HD 650 warmer than HD 600? but more refine than HD 595?

anyway, it only burn in 20 hours...will the high tamed after more hours burn in?

May 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #1,337 of 46,535
A few weeks ago I actually posted that I'd fall out of my computer chair if I ever read someone posting that the HD-600 is too bright! Well, I just fell out of my chair and it hurt.

It sounds like maybe you are just too used to the HD-595 sound. I looked at some charts and the upper frequencies are definitely a lot lower then the HD-600's. Way lower actually.

Check out this chart that compares the 595, 600 and 650:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=683&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=853

To my ears, the HD-600 are never bright. They're about right for me and i'm one that absolutely hates very bright headphones. It just annoys me. The HD-600s are at just exactly under the point where the highs would get annoying to me.

Have you tried many other pairs of headphones? If you find the HD-600 too bright, definitely stay away from anything from Beyer with 880 and 990 in the name. Even the AKG 702 are much brighter then the HD-600.

I think the HD-650 would have been a much better choice for you. I thought the HD-600 was not bright at all, but the HD-650 is even more toned down on the highs. I hated the HD-650 in the past, but love the HD-600.

May 16, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,338 of 46,535
yeah...I think I will try listen to it 2 more weeks..whether it is burn in effect or wait for my ears to get accustomed..

and it seems that HD 650 gets cheaper this day...any good authentic place to get it?

May 16, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #1,339 of 46,535
Both the HD600 and HD650's have their strengths.  I'd not label either of the two too bright.  I love them both.  At times I think I prefer one to the other, but the preference doesn't seem to last. 

May 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #1,340 of 46,535

Quote:
Anybody got both HD 600 and 650?

I just got my HD 600..I really think they are too bright with little sibilance...My HD 595 is less refined but definitely warmer...

my question is, will HD 650 warmer than HD 600? but more refine than HD 595?

anyway, it only burn in 20 hours...will the high tamed after more hours burn in?

Quote:
yeah...I think I will try listen to it 2 more weeks..whether it is burn in effect or wait for my ears to get accustomed..

and it seems that HD 650 gets cheaper this day...any good authentic place to get it?

I used to own both sometime in the past. Short answer to your question, having done the exact same upgrade, is yes, the HD650 is warmer than both the 595 and 600, and more refined than both IME. Even after burn in I found the 600 to be a little brighter than neutral (in a scale of 0-10, with 0 being neutral, say around 0.5 or 1 at maximum), although not enough to call them a bright can per se. But I think that the fact that I found both the 595 and 600 a little bass shy might contribute to the thought of them being somewhat bright.

OTOH the 650 are a tad warmer than neutral (say -0.8 or so in the scale I said before), and might be what you're looking for if you don't get accustomed to the 600 (although you might, they are great).

May 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,342 of 46,535

Quote:
The 650s sound bright to me. . .

Meaning that they don't sound dark?  If that's the case, then I personally agree.  I don't find them dark.  Just not harsh and the musical image is largely a bit more away from your ears than with other popular cans.

May 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #1,344 of 46,535
offered a pair of 3 month old HD650 for 190GBP should I take it???

May 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #1,347 of 46,535
I would just like to generally post my thoughts on the brightness or darkness of the 650s.

Mine were very dark before burn in but when they settled down they became bright and marginally boomy. Not really what I expected from $330 headphones but ok.

I've been trying to equalize them by ear with SinGen + Electri-Q but because of a lack of a starting point/patience/skill I kind of gave up.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

I found this one thread about it in a google search though:  http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/3732-reference-earphones-rew-convolver.html
According to this guy there are peaks at around 3k, 5k, 8k, and 14k. Turning down these areas it seems about right too me (sadly). If you disagree, feel free to post.

Also keep in mind that there are supposed to be unofficial new and old versions of the HD 650 and the new version is supposedly brighter. . .

May 21, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,349 of 46,535
Mine sound better and better with each passing week of listening.  They were rather dark when I first started listening, and their sound signature was emphasized everytime I swapped to the HD650 from my K601 or DT880.  Now, they still sound quite a bit different from the aforementioned headphones, but I no longer think "dark."  Warm, yes, with impactful bass for sure.

They sound good out of my Micro Stack (listening to FLAC files from PC) and they are fine out of my Hornet (.mp3 files out of iPod).  However, they really sound great out of the headphone jack on my CD5003 (CDs).  My guess is that the lossless original CD files and the better source play a big part in the great performance.  The CD5003 has a pretty good headphone jack - "For private listening, the current-buffer headphone amplifier uses high slew rate op amps to bring you extraordinary sound quality" - per the Marantz USA site.  Not sure what "current-buffer" and "high slew rate" and other technical jibberish means, but my ears tell me it all sounds good. 

May 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #1,350 of 46,535

Quote:
I
According to this guy there are peaks at around 3k, 5k, 8k, and 14k. Turning down these areas it seems about right too me (sadly). If you disagree, feel free to post.

I don't disagree, but I would caution against trying to iron out specific small peaks. Firstly,
small peaks are rarely audible; it's the overall frequency balance of a phone that determines its signature. Secondly, what shows up as small peaks in one trace may not show up in another taken under different conditions, or different peaks may show in different positions; it's not that exact a science. And what shows as peaks under measuring conditions may not be relevant to your ears, since the interaction of ears and phones is different for each individual. In short, I think to some degree you'll end up chasing your own tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back