Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #1,321 of 46,527
Yeah I agree. It's so hard to really come to any sort of idea about what a headphone will sound like reading opinions on the forum. You can get a general idea, but that's still no substitute. I was looking for a new phone after I disowned my AKG's and luckily stumbled onto the 650s next and have been VERY happy since. Somebody's gonna have to pry them from my cold, dead fingers before I let them go. You think I'm kidding.

May 7, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #1,322 of 46,527
This cable thing is quite a circus.

I got the Silver Dragon's for this HD650 here and there's now no doubt that I prefer them to the HD600's.

May 8, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #1,324 of 46,527

Quote:
Ok, my only problem i've having with the hd650's is at times they are a bit grainy. Is this because of low quality mp3s, no amp, and insufficient burn in? Thanks in advance. Other than the grainy at times the sounds is amazing.

I experienced that 'grainy' sensation with all three open Senns I own, HD600, HD595, PX100. It gradually disappears with use and leaves you with details and relaxation.

May 8, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #1,325 of 46,527

Quote:
Ha so what are you gonna do now with your 600's?

I use them at work.  Still love them you know. 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,327 of 46,527
I got a pair of used HD650 yesterday and been listening to them today.
I'm using the stock cable out of the Audio-GD Roc and Reference 5. I'll get a cheap balanced cable next week. My reference cans are a pair of balanced K702, and I listen mainly to classical and jazz.
So far I can say the sound is OK, different from the K702, but not as bassy or veiled as they are said to be.
The level of detail however is a notch below the AKGs, especially the positioning of instruments: there's less air around them and the stage is not as 3dimensional as with the K702.
Also dynamics are a disappointment: to me the HD650s sound more compressed, especially with symphonic music.
I hope they will sound better with a balanced connection :)
But they're so comfortable, no comparison here against the K702! I could wear the HD650 for hours without any pain.

May 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,328 of 46,527
I never liked the sound of the HD650 when I had it (I owned it twice), although I understand the newer versions with white drivers have a brighter balance (despite Sennheiser saying there is no change in SQ). It seem to be quite amp-dependent, it made very good sounds out of a Darkvoice 337 at the last UK meet.

Comfort-wise, I found it had a vice-like clamp. The K701 is fine is that regard but gave me a headache with the bumps on the headband. The HD800 I use now is the most comfortable set of cans I've used.

May 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,329 of 46,527
I just received my second go around of HD650's.  They are used with the white drivers.  I don't find them dark at all.  Much much better than my old pair with the black drivers.  Not quite as detailed as the k701, but easier to.  I run them out of a Nuforce HDP.  The sound is awesome.  Great complement to my akgs

May 9, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #1,331 of 46,527

Quote:
Hey I'm curious what you guys mean when saying the hd650's are "Laid back". Is that the opposite of "bright sounding" headphones, or does it mean something else? Thanks in advance.

I would suggest it is because the 650's have a balance on the warm side of neutral and are not hard to listen to. All the frequencies are there but the presentation is very smooth. I think a lot of this is tuned with the bass response, a loudpspeaker or headphone with a very neutral bass response will sound more neutral and analytical in comparison.

May 9, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #1,332 of 46,527

Quote:
I would suggest it is because the 650's have a balance on the warm side of neutral and are not hard to listen to. All the frequencies are there but the presentation is very smooth. I think a lot of this is tuned with the bass response, a loudpspeaker or headphone with a very neutral bass response will sound more neutral and analytical in comparison.

I do agree, the first time I heard them,I felt man these are a decent pair but that is it, nothing more, don't have the -BUY ME RIGHT NOW factor

May 9, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #1,333 of 46,527

Quote:
I do agree, the first time I heard them,I felt man these are a decent pair but that is it, nothing more, don't have the -BUY ME RIGHT NOW factor

I do understand what you mean here, but I would suggest that sometimes the "wow" factor wears off, somethings in life that are initially a little more understated then tend to be the better option over longer periods of time.

I think this applys to the 650's, they simply allow you to relax and enjoy music without trying to listen to the equipment instead.

May 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #1,334 of 46,527

Quote:
I think this applys to the 650's, they simply allow you to relax and enjoy music without trying to listen to the equipment instead.

Funnily, it was this very trait that formed my 'wow factor', i.e., that lush, laid back, and yet articulate sound.  Bass, treble coming at you, or a huge head stage, don't have to be the wow factor. 

May 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,335 of 46,527
After trying AKG K702 for a month, and then DT990 600 for another month I decided to try HD650 and I'm blown away by its perfect balance of lows, mids, highs. Perfect amount of bass which is deep, not bloated, textured.

1) AKG K702 - not enough bass
2) DT990 600 OHM - too much bass, not enough mids
3) HD650 - wins, perfect amount of each

HD650 is the first headphone that made me appreciate music on a level never reached before - truly involving and engaging sound that takes you to intended destination. I'm using Xonar Essense ST with FLAC records.

Btw, DT990 600 is up for sale $210 including shipping, will make thread soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back