Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #46,382 of 46,499
More majickal faerie dust than fairytale, methinks.
Okay, let me explain for those nay sayers. Removing the stock, thin, foam pad from each ear cup opens the sound up. Increases separation and sound stage (a very little bit, but you can hear it). The mesh is to keep a loose hair, or other small particles from getting on the driver. The mesh itself has zero impact on sound.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Leo

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #46,383 of 46,499
Okay, let me explain for those nay sayers. Removing the stock, thin, foam pad from each ear cup opens the sound up. Increases separation and sound stage (a very little bit, but you can hear it). The mesh is to keep a loose hair, or other small particles from getting on the driver. The mesh itself has zero impact on sound.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Leo
I'm not a naysayer. I've removed the foam and replaced it with organza. I haven't noticed improvement to the soundstage, but more treble zing.

I meant "magical" as in "enchanting," not as a pejorative. I spelled it "majickal" to be silly. I said "faerie dust" because you can't have majick without faeries.

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #46,385 of 46,499
I picked up my 6XX for $199 last week.$218 after all tax and S&H

Break in: 20 hours of burn in unified tone, soundstage, sq and frequency response. Out of the box they sounded bright, brittle, and disjointed in comparison. Update coming after 100 hours of burn in.

Sound: Warmth of tone and slight mid-bass bump works well with my preferences and vinyl source. Soundstage is good, not spectacular. The Presonus HD7 are slightly better in that aspect even though they lack in most other aspects wrt the 6XX.
Tonality, instrument body, detail, timbre, are all very good with the 6XX.

Amp/Dac: Senn HD 6XX are an excellent choice to build a solid system. Upgrades to DAC, cables, and amp, all are audible and the 6XX reveal differences among various components.

Can spend $1400 to upgrade dac/amp and then have a solid foundation with which to jump to higher level headphones that need better source components, while still being able to enjoy much of the source improvements with the 6XX.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #46,386 of 46,499
are these more sibilant than the 58x jubilee? they hurt my ears
My experience having both the HD6XX and HD58Xj is that, in my ears, although the HD58Xj has more bass (which I find nice) it is also hotter in the treble. I wouldn’t call it sibilant though.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #46,387 of 46,499
What are your favourite cheap solid-state amps for HD650? I mean like up to 300 EUR used. I liked it on tubes but a little extra extension in treble would be welcome and it was already a little too thick for my taste. I don't like harsh and sterile sounding amps for all THX offerings are probably not for me. My DAC is Gustard R26 so I'm looking for a pure amp.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #46,388 of 46,499
What are your favourite cheap solid-state amps for HD650? I mean like up to 300 EUR used. I liked it on tubes but a little extra extension in treble would be welcome and it was already a little too thick for my taste. I don't like harsh and sterile sounding amps for all THX offerings are probably not for me. My DAC is Gustard R26 so I'm looking for a pure amp.

I like the Schiit Asgard 3 with the HD650. Warm neutral tuning with big power on tap, even though it is purely single-ended. Not harsh at all.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #46,389 of 46,499
I like the Schiit Asgard 3 with the HD650. Warm neutral tuning with big power on tap, even though it is purely single-ended. Not harsh at all.
That's what I was thinking, but Asgard 3 is currently unavailable in Europe and expensive. I can get used Asgard 2 for 160 EUR, do you think it's worth and safe to get such an old amp?

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #46,390 of 46,499
That's what I was thinking, but Asgard 3 is currently unavailable in Europe and expensive. I can get used Asgard 2 for 160 EUR, do you think it's worth and safe to get such an old amp?
If it has the sound you want, yes.
Solid State circuit parts last 30+ years.
Usually capacitors go bad first.

I own many vintage amps.
A used Schiit Asgard will work just fine.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #46,395 of 46,499
I picked up my 6XX for $199 last week.$218 after all tax and S&H

Break in: 20 hours of burn in unified tone, soundstage, sq and frequency response. Out of the box they sounded bright, brittle, and disjointed in comparison. Update coming after 100 hours of burn in.

Sound: Warmth of tone and slight mid-bass bump works well with my preferences and vinyl source. Soundstage is good, not spectacular. The Presonus HD7 are slightly better in that aspect even though they lack in most other aspects wrt the 6XX.
Tonality, instrument body, detail, timbre, are all very good with the 6XX.

Amp/Dac: Senn HD 6XX are an excellent choice to build a solid system. Upgrades to DAC, cables, and amp, all are audible and the 6XX reveal differences among various components.

Can spend $1400 to upgrade dac/amp and then have a solid foundation with which to jump to higher level headphones that need better source components, while still being able to enjoy much of the source improvements with the 6XX.
30+ hours of burn in and the HD 6XX have settled into their sound. Slightly dark, rolled off highs, not for bassheads. Lots of detail, harmonic realism, excellent timbre.

Sound good on rock such as Time by Pink Floyd and Clash. Jazz such as Miles and Coltrane. Old fake-mono Pop via Wrecking Crew and their 1000s of hits.

But they really shine on piano and orchestral works.
Sound as though they were designed to do well on Beethoven piano concertos.
Not a surprise from Austrian or German firms.

Just a really good headphone and for under $200 nearly a "Must purchase".

If you want "audiophile" level sound this is where it begins.

If money is a concern then save up and get these first. Amp and dac can come later.

Not for portable setup - home amp only.
For portable I still recommend CAL! as decent all-arounder and cheap enough that you won't regret forgetting them at your airplane seat. Also driving the 6XX from a phone would be a mistake. Needs an amp.

Edit:
One point I fogot is that the 6XX has a non-technical aspect.

It has toe-tapability.

In that, I find my foot tapping in rhythm to the music when listening via the 6XX and not via any other can I have ever heard or own. That ranges from vintage Beryerdynamics and Koss and AKG to modern planars and the current 650 and all in my signature.

This reaction occurs across all styles of music on the 6XX.

A highly recommended headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back