Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #46,411 of 46,533
I watched this, and the other video you didn't post here, when you posted them in the audiophile myths thread and was actually thinking of them as I read the burn-in comments here. Burn-in is basically a religious ritual for audiophiles at this point though, so there's probably no point in trying to logic it out of practice lol
I do not recall asking you for your opinion or approval on the subject.

Please prove that all we can currently measure is 100.00% of all that the human mind can hear.

If you cannot prove this then your opinion is based upon faith, the belief (not logic), that we can measure all we hear.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #46,412 of 46,533
Never heard 650s before and got myself a pair yesterday. I really like them! Very musical and buttery-smooth.

20240201212104_IMG_2214.JPG

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #46,413 of 46,533
I did not ask for your opinion on this topic.

I'm sorry, but when you post something on a public forum, then you gotta be prepared that you get replies and opinions. Isn't that what a forum is all about?
Fair enough that you don't agree with them, but as long as they present their opinion in a respectful manner, then I don't think it makes much sense to tell people not to comment on your posts.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #46,414 of 46,533
I did not ask for your opinion on this topic.
I agree with almost everything you stated. But most people are on head-Fi because they are interested in opinions of others. If you have no interest, why are you even on the forums? Not trying to be snarky, just wondering.

leo

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #46,415 of 46,533
Edit: I'm answering to @marone. Not sure how I managed to fail to quote his post(or did I just forget?), and now IDK how to do it in the edit as neither the reply nor quote button seems to do the trick).

I don't discount the possibility of change over time for various reasons, humidity and temperature are enough for that and measurements with a need for high accuracy need to and do account for it. Dropping the headphone on the floor or crushing the cable under a chair enough times, those can probably do it too. Playing some signals way too loud for a long time, like you might have done, might also do the trick. Many things can happen, really.

But at large, between the pads giving in over time(be it minutes or months), getting used to placing the headphone in a comfy and consistent way, and just what we could call human error(habituation, typical overestimation of the accuracy of our memories, long list of biases, stuffy nose, erroneous interpretation of an experience), I think only stubbornness remains to justify ignoring all the other possible explanations and sticking only with burn in as a cause for what we feel. Someone from Sennheiser not supporting the idea, got you thinking that you'd rather trust yourself anyway. You got great self-confidence, I can't take that away from you.

Your post in reply to @HipHopScribe is an instant classic of dishonest grumpiness. :smile_cat:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #46,416 of 46,533
Feb 3, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #46,417 of 46,533

Please prove that all we can currently measure is 100.00% of all that the human mind can hear.

If you cannot prove this then your opinion is based upon faith, the belief (not logic), that we can measure all we hear.

It’s weird for you to post your burn-in journey on a public forum and then get all defensive when someone comments about it.

Anyway, there’s nothing to be accomplished discussing this further. Enjoy your headphones

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #46,418 of 46,533
People tend to romanticize the burn-in process of the materials, where in reality, the ones that are really changing are ourselves. :xf_wink:

Anyone can try this experiment. Grab two headphones with a distinct sound signature, a HD650 and a typical Beyer, for instance. Choose one and listen to it for a few days/weeks. Then, swap the headphones. Big chance that one will end up hating the swapped phone on a first impression -- i.e., if one is coming from the HD650, the Beyer will sound harsh and piercing, whereas if coming from the latter, the HD650 will sound dark and veiled. Keep repeating the headphone swapping over weeks/months, and eventually one may end up enjoying both headphones.

Folks, the whole thing is quite simple. Just build a collection with different sound signatures, and then one will realize that brain burn-in plays an even bigger role than anything else. When everything starts "sounding the same", one will understand what I mean here. Some people are able to deal with that. Some don't. 🤷‍♂️

A fun note to finalize. My thing with Beyers, I do like them, but they require me to turn the volume down a little bit. :hear_no_evil:
1707063509102.png

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #46,420 of 46,533
I'm sorry, but when you post something on a public forum, then you gotta be prepared that you get replies and opinions. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

US President Harry S Truman: "If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #46,421 of 46,533
People tend to romanticize the burn-in process of the materials, where in reality, the ones that are really changing are ourselves. :xf_wink:

Anyone can try this experiment. Grab two headphones with a distinct sound signature, a HD650 and a typical Beyer, for instance. Choose one and listen to it for a few days/weeks. Then, swap the headphones. Big chance that one will end up hating the swapped phone on a first impression -- i.e., if one is coming from the HD650, the Beyer will sound harsh and piercing, whereas if coming from the latter, the HD650 will sound dark and veiled. Keep repeating the headphone swapping over weeks/months, and eventually one may end up enjoying both headphones.

Folks, the whole thing is quite simple. Just build a collection with different sound signatures, and then one will realize that brain burn-in plays an even bigger role than anything else. When everything starts "sounding the same", one will understand what I mean here. Some people are able to deal with that. Some don't. 🤷‍♂️

A fun note to finalize. My thing with Beyers, I do like them, but they require me to turn the volume down a little bit. :hear_no_evil:
I appreciate your thoughts and they are real for you. I would say that it depends on the HP's in question. For example, many on the forums can attest to the need to burn in the Grado RS1x for a very long time, as compared to the HD650 which you can pretty much open box, put them on your head, and you hear what you will be getting from a lifetime of use.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #46,422 of 46,533
Never heard 650s before and got myself a pair yesterday. I really like them! Very musical and buttery-smooth.

20240201212104_IMG_2214.JPG
oh yeah i just noticed that all these are headphones i plan to get myself (aside from the noire i got it already) how much different does the noire sound on an amp/dac like that? i use a schiit stack rn, modi dac and vali2++ with a 5670 Tube upgrade from the stock.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #46,423 of 46,533
Has anyone compared the Drop 6XX fenestrated sheepskin pads to the ZMF 6XX+ sub pads (on the 6XX, just to be clear!)? The ZMF pads seem to have the typical front-to-back asymmetry, but other than that is there anything meaningfully different?

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #46,424 of 46,533
I know this has been asked many times over the years but there does not seem to be any after-market pads that sound the same as the sennheiser ones and last longer, i seem to be getting through pads every 18 months (more or less daily use for an hour or so) and am looking for ones that sound the same but last longer.

Any ideas as of late 2023?

d
To increase HD650 highs I tried removing the part of the silver metal baffle filter that covers the edges of the drivers. Didnt go so well… Too difficult to simply cut with a knife, so accidentally ended up pushing the entire silver material off in one piece (its glued on).

IMG_1113.jpeg

IMG_1115.jpeg
^ back-side after putting back together without baffle filter

Now I am experimenting with replacement baffle material… Good news though, there is more highs.
Jesus, wouldn't it be easier to just use a bit of EQ than to massacre the HP? :relaxed:. No offense.

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #46,425 of 46,533

Users who are viewing this thread

Back