Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #44,686 of 46,499
Just used amazon. I'm sometimes hesitant about them because of their counterfeit issue but the German on the packaging was promising lol

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #44,687 of 46,499
I've been well enjoying my HD650's lately. I bought them years ago, but they had been sitting around for quite a while since I was mostly using my PC 37X for chatting with my friends for the longest time. I then ended up moving onto the HiFiMan Arya V2's but the left driver recently died on me so I pulled out the HD 650 and have been enjoying them on my A90/D90 stack.

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #44,688 of 46,499
I've been well enjoying my HD650's lately. I bought them years ago, but they had been sitting around for quite a while since I was mostly using my PC 37X for chatting with my friends for the longest time. I then ended up moving onto the HiFiMan Arya V2's but the left driver recently died on me so I pulled out the HD 650 and have been enjoying them on my A90/D90 stack.
Great to hear, the A90/D90 stack is audibly transparent, so you’ll hear every potential of the HD650 :)

Feb 2, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #44,689 of 46,499
Seems Drop have raised the price of HD6XX to $240. I just saw it now as someone posted in the HD58X that those were up to $190 and I had to go check on the HD6XX price.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #44,693 of 46,499
Has anyone here tried the new ZMF pads with the Sennheiser 6 series?

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #44,694 of 46,499
How do you know you want the latest model? 😈

The current ones are made in Romania instead of Ireland, and among other telltale signs, the yokes are slightly squared instead of rounded, they don’t have L and R stamped into the outsides (on the yoke, just above the cups - they are stamped on the inside) and the three braille dots on the left side are on the front instead of on the side. I’m sure there are other slight differences as well. I don’t know if any of them affect the sound quality, one way or the other. Supposedly the drivers are still made in Ireland and then shipped to Romania for assembly in the Romanian made bodies. Also, I have heard/read a rumour that production is moving back to Ireland, but I don’t know the details or even if it’s true.

Hope that helps.
Source?

I just bought a used set without original sleeve (that says place of assembly) and was wondering if it was Romania or Ireland. The serial number is 1XXXXX which sounds like a lot so Im guessing Romania.

6XX mod2 vs 6xx stock
- mod2 = sealing driver baffle (reduce rear wave cancellation), adding 3layers of felt to back of cups (increase acoustic impedance).
- mod2 has decreased THD in EARS and fpc measurements
- Subjectively, I cant tell the difference on bass improvement. I shouldve took notes... I just got this 6XX and just did the mods so not that familiar. Stock I found the bass a little wooly. Not sure I would say the same about mod2 but this is still first impressions, more time will tell. Stock I found the upper mids a little much, too forward vocals etc. Mods seemed to have been a step forward and back. Vocals are now in line but every once in awhile they can be a bit glaring.

Next mod would be adding damplifier pro to baffle (see KISS). Then maybe remove spider cage. Not sure if removing spider cage would be a good idea. Its function is to hold the stock rear driver vent foam AND the magnet in place. I would have to use damplifier pro to hold magnet in place if I were to delete spider cage. Would it work well enough? KISS mod tutorial measurements say yes. I'll save that mod for last I think.

Does this compete with @Bill-P BP800? 6XX highs are a little smoother (tone and ringing). But otherwise HD800 driver is better. I bought the 6XX for a BP800 comparison but I lent out my BP800 to another user. So in the meantime Ill be modding and getting familiar with 6XX (again).

6XXm2 vs 6XX (1).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #44,695 of 46,499
Source?

I just bought a used set without original sleeve (that says place of assembly) and was wondering if it was Romania or Ireland. The serial number is 1XXXXX which sounds like a lot so Im guessing Romania.

6XX mod2 vs 6xx stock
- mod2 = sealing driver baffle (reduce rear wave cancellation), adding 3layers of felt to back of cups (increase acoustic impedance).
- mod2 has decreased THD in EARS and fpc measurements
- Subjectively, I cant tell the difference on bass improvement. I shouldve took notes... I just got this 6XX and just did the mods so not that familiar. Stock I found the bass a little wooly. Not sure I would say the same about mod2 but this is still first impressions, more time will tell. Stock I found the upper mids a little much, too forward vocals etc. Mods seemed to have been a step forward and back. Vocals are now in line but every once in awhile they can be a bit glaring.

Next mod would be adding damplifier pro to baffle (see KISS). Then maybe remove spider cage. Not sure if removing spider cage would be a good idea. Its function is to hold the stock rear driver vent foam AND the magnet in place. I would have to use damplifier pro to hold magnet in place if I were to delete spider cage. Would it work well enough? KISS mod tutorial measurements say yes. I'll save that mod for last I think.

Does this compete with @Bill-P BP800? 6XX highs are a little smoother (tone and ringing). But otherwise HD800 driver is better. I bought the 6XX for a BP800 comparison but I lent out my BP800 to another user. So in the meantime Ill be modding and getting familiar with 6XX (again).

6XXm2 vs 6XX (1).jpg
The Made in Ireland say Made in Ireland on the inside headband clip right above the ear cup.
B8B7258A-2BFE-4B6E-B600-CF4E923E9D3E.jpeg

No box necessary.

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #44,697 of 46,499
6XXm2 vs 6XX THD at 100db
6XXX m2 vs 6XX 100db THD.jpg

^ I'm still learning how to post proper graphs. I probably should be adding the fundamental or something. wip

6XXm2 bass a little compressed / lagging in macrodynamics, but everything else as you know is bar setting.

6XXX m2 vs 6XX 100db 2nd order distortion.jpg

6XXX m2 vs 6XX 100db 3rd order distortion.jpg

6XXX m2 vs 6XX 100db 4th order distortion.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #44,698 of 46,499
I have had many headphones here....and the 650s have stayed around for a long time. Prior to these I had a set of 600's. Great as well, but prefer the 650's more.
I have found that one particular setup with these cans have always made me smile alot:

This is a Class A amp designed by Pass himself. Its the recent ACP + headphone amp. Simple. Brilliant.
The dac I feed it with is a Soekris 2541.
The result is very very good....and we have cans and amps etc north of $4000 etc...not bragging, just sharing this set of cans and this amp and dac are close to being 90% of the way there for most listeners...

1644621434230.png

28d2fc753948af8a5edd509f9e3d912267dc9ceb_2_1380x898.jpeg

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #44,699 of 46,499
Whats the best bang for buck cable upgrade these days? I'm skeptical of the cheap ones on Amazon that are 'disposable cables'...

I need a 1/4" one, and also XLR. I prefer readily available options in the US.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #44,700 of 46,499
Whats the best bang for buck cable upgrade these days? I'm skeptical of the cheap ones on Amazon that are 'disposable cables'...

I need a 1/4" one, and also XLR. I prefer readily available options in the US.
I've had great luck with LQi cables. They are very well made and fairly reasonable compared to some of the other cables out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back