Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #43,021 of 46,514
These guys sell original Sennheiser cables reterminated with different balanced options - I got mine for £25

https://oidiosound.co.uk/sennheiser-hd-092885-balanced.html

They also make their own cables, many different options.
I've always found it amazing that Sennheiser sells the stock 6.3mm cable for $11 and the balanced cable for $240. Isn't that the same cable with a different connector?! That's one freakin' expensive connector!
Not a bad idea to just mod a stock cable if you're thinking of DIYing. That way you don't have to fiddle with the little Sennheiser connectors.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #43,022 of 46,514
I've always considered the HD650/HD6XX as one of the more forgiving of poorly recorded tracks compared to something like the HD700, HD800 and pretty much any Grado. While I haven't heard a DT770 in a long time I still have my DT990 premium and to me its really unforgiving of poor recording compared to my HD650/6XX and even HD58X. I think once you hear other headphones that are even more unforgiving than the HD650 you may realize why most consider the HD650 fairly forgiving of poor recordings.
Honestly, they can be forgiving or unforgiving depending on how you fit them on your head.

There is some annoying 4khz resonance, if the fit isn't ''right'' (with these headphones, meaning if you don't angle the cups) that can easily make non-perfect recordings shouty and unrefined in the upper mids.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #43,024 of 46,514
I've always found it amazing that Sennheiser sells the stock 6.3mm cable for $11 and the balanced cable for $240. Isn't that the same cable with a different connector?! That's one freakin' expensive connector!
Not a bad idea to just mod a stock cable if you're thinking of DIYing. That way you don't have to fiddle with the little Sennheiser connectors.

From my experience with these guys, you are correct, it's probably the same cable. They even included the cut off original termination in the package - an it was all in the original Sennheiser retail plastic packaging (opened, obviously)

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #43,028 of 46,514
Hi, how good pairing is iDSD Micro BL with HD650 ? Please share your thoughts, view about this combo if you have experienced.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #43,031 of 46,514
Dec 13, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #43,032 of 46,514
I have been the owner of the 6xx for some days now ( coming from DT770 ).

Been enjoying them for the most part, but I'm kinda suprised that they are so unforgiving of poorly recorded tracks, maybe the opposite for veery poorly recorded tracks, but the kind of quality that's somewhere in the middle of great and bad is suprisingly unforgiving.
I guess it's maybe a feature of "neutrality", or maybe I'm mentally scarred from everyone talking about the veil.

Still got a lot of exploring to do with these.
can you give an example of ''poorly recorded tracks''?
IME poorly recorded music is extremely rare, if music sounds ''poor'' (lacking detail? harsh?) it has always been a deficiency in the playback chain.
You could call this music ''challenging'' rather than ''poor''... if it was truly poor it would get worse with better gear but that was never the case for me.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #43,033 of 46,514
can you give an example of ''poorly recorded tracks''?
IME poorly recorded music is extremely rare, if music sounds ''poor'' (lacking detail? harsh?) it has always been a deficiency in the playback chain.
You could call this music ''challenging'' rather than ''poor''... if it was truly poor it would get worse with better gear but that was never the case for me.
One extreme example is Damien Rice's My Favourite Faded Fantasy album. Listen through the whole album, some tracks are recorded/mixed/mastered badly and it shows. Objectively bad, not a sound signature or subjective thing.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #43,035 of 46,514
I understand that the Meze 99 is consumer oriented, with enhanced bass. Do you want that or do you want the more neutral, natural sounding Sennheiser sound? If you care about the quality of the vocals, pick the HD-650.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back