Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #43,036 of 46,499
Hi guys,

I can't decide to buy Meze 99 Classic or HD6xx? HD6xx cost 100€ less.

Please help me decide :)

Thanks!

Do you need noise isolation? What's your DAC/Amp situation?

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #43,037 of 46,499
Hi guys,

I can't decide to buy Meze 99 Classic or HD6xx? HD6xx cost 100€ less.

Please help me decide :)

Thanks!
Hd650 is almost 2 decades old and is still one of the most popular high end headphone choices... there's a reason for that.
You will find many people whose favourite headphone is the HD650, who even prefer to objectively better headphones (HD800) because its just so smooth and enjoyable to listen to while still being exceptionally resolving.
The headphones are also really well built and most of the parts are replaceable and cheap anyway.
That's ignoring the fact that its the cheaper option here, HD6XX is a steal if you dont already have a HD6X0 HP (hence the long wait before you get it).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #43,038 of 46,499
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #43,039 of 46,499
Do you need noise isolation? What's your DAC/Amp situation?

Unfortunately I don't have head amp.
I have stereo receiver and HRT Music Streamer II DAC. But the difference in price is 100€ between HD6xx and 99 classic so I can get head amp for that money.

I'm a little worried abot bas in HD6xx. I'm not a bass head but I enjoy bass in music

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #43,041 of 46,499
Hi, how good pairing is iDSD Micro BL with HD650 ? Please share your thoughts, view about this combo if you have experienced.

@Ichos @HungryPanda many thanks to your feedback. Cheers !

I received my iFi audio iDSD Micro BL recently, pairing with WM1A to HD650... I was stunned with the soundstage came out from HD650 and DAP/DAC/AMP, more dynamic, more layers of sound with depth once hidden and now can be heard. I don't know how to describe my satisfaction ... Holiday coming soon, time to re-listen to all my music collection.

Happy Holidays folks

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #43,042 of 46,499
Hello guys ! So the left driver of my HD600 broke.
I am really disappointed with this, because it has just been few years since I bought it. I take a good care of it and I dont even use it that much . Like few hours per week.
I thought HD600 would last me years and years, but apparently not.

Is it normal for headphone's driver to break that easily? What is the expected life span of headphone?

Do you think it will be a wise decision to purchase 2nd hand HD 600 driver or HD650 driver to replace my left driver?
I am really afraid that the sound will not be balanced. Even if I change it with a 2nd hand HD600 driver.
Because I read that, as time goes on, the sound quality produced by the driver will change. Is this true and is it significant/noticeable?

Thankyou :) !!

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #43,043 of 46,499
Hello guys ! So the left driver of my HD600 broke.
I am really disappointed with this, because it has just been few years since I bought it. I take a good care of it and I dont even use it that much . Like few hours per week.
I thought HD600 would last me years and years, but apparently not.

Is it normal for headphone's driver to break that easily? What is the expected life span of headphone?

Do you think it will be a wise decision to purchase 2nd hand HD 600 driver or HD650 driver to replace my left driver?
I am really afraid that the sound will not be balanced. Even if I change it with a 2nd hand HD600 driver.
Because I read that, as time goes on, the sound quality produced by the driver will change. Is this true and is it significant/noticeable?

Thankyou :) !!

Are you sure the driver is the problem and not your cable?

If it is the driver, things break, I don't think Sennheiser's drivers fail at any higher rate than other headphones. You definitely don't want a HD650 driver. You can get a new HD600 driver

https://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro...e-300-ohm-loudspeaker-driver-unit-091570.html

Sound produced by the driver doesn't change significantly over time, especially only a few years, but the potential issue is that the drivers won't be a matched pair like they are from the factory, and if the variance with your other driver is big enough it could potentially make an audible difference. Chances are you'll probably be fine, but you can't really be sure the drivers are well matched unless you buy new headphones

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #43,044 of 46,499
Are you sure the driver is the problem and not your cable?

If it is the driver, things break, I don't think Sennheiser's drivers fail at any higher rate than other headphones. You definitely don't want a HD650 driver. You can get a new HD600 driver

https://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro...e-300-ohm-loudspeaker-driver-unit-091570.html

The potential issue is that the drivers won't be a matched pair like they are from the factory, and if the variance with your other driver is big enough you it could potentially make an audible difference. Chances are you'll probably be fine, but you can't really be sure unless you buy new headphones

Yeah, I have tried to swap the cable left and right, but still sound not coming from the left driver.

I understand, things break. I am just disappointed because I took a good care of it and I didnt even use it that much. Especially when I expected that I can use it for years and years.

I already called the only and biggest authorized reseller of sennheiser in my country but they dont sell HD600 driver anymore :frowning2:

Do you think it's a good idea to find a 2nd hand HD600 driver?
Will the sound be balanced with my right driver?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #43,045 of 46,499
Yeah, I have tried to swap the cable left and right, but still sound not coming from the left driver.

I understand, things break. I am just disappointed because I took a good care of it and I didnt even use it that much. Especially when I expected that I can use it for years and years.

I already called the only and biggest authorized reseller of sennheiser in my country but they dont sell HD600 driver anymore :frowning2:

If the cost isn't too much I'd go with a 2nd hand driver, but there is a chance it won't be a good match for your driver

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #43,046 of 46,499

Have you tried wiggling the connector or pushing it a bit while listening to see if it’s an intermittent contact problem?

Also, though not being a problem in later years, there are contact springs in the connector port on the headphone that the pins on the cable connector make contact with. These springs have been known to wear out. Innerfidelity has a good video that shows how to open up the headphone cups and replace those springs.

Sound produced by the driver doesn't change significantly over time, especially only a few years, but the potential issue is that the drivers won't be a matched pair like they are from the factory, and if the variance with your other driver is big enough it could potentially make an audible difference.

As I understand it, the drivers for the HD600 are not matched from the factory, but the HD650 drivers are.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #43,047 of 46,499
As I understand it, the drivers for the HD600 are not matched from the factory, but the HD650 drivers are.

Ah good to know, then doesn't really make a difference to replace one driver, chances are just as good for matching as from the factory

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #43,048 of 46,499
If the cost isn't too much I'd go with a 2nd hand driver, but there is a chance it won't be a good match for your driver

Thanks! I will try to find one, even though it will be very difficult to find one.
I hope I will be lucky!

Have you tried wiggling the connector or pushing it a bit while listening to see if it’s an intermittent contact problem?

Also, though not being a problem in later years, there are contact springs in the connector port on the headphone that the pins on the cable connector make contact with. These springs have been known to wear out. Innerfidelity has a good video that shows how to open up the headphone cups and replace those springs.

I watched the video, and when I opened the driver, I saw a lot of dusts in it.
I tried to gently brush the driver to clean it from the dust, but because of that I broke the very thin (vocal?) wire :").

I am not sure whether it's intermittent contact problem or not. But do you think even after I broke the thin wire, is it still repairable? I may try to find a repair shop, but it's very hard to find a good one here in my area.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #43,049 of 46,499
Thanks! I will try to find one, even though it will be very difficult to find one.
I hope I will be lucky!

I watched the video, and when I opened the driver, I saw a lot of dusts in it.
I tried to gently brush the driver to clean it from the dust, but because of that I broke the very thin (vocal?) wire :").

I am not sure whether it's intermittent contact problem or not. But do you think even after I broke the thin wire, is it still repairable? I may try to find a repair shop, but it's very hard to find a good one here in my area.

I don’t know, but maybe not easy to fix such a thin wire, it would depend on where it broke off. But since the driver is most probably broken anyway, I’d go with ordering a new and replace.

You can always order from Sennheiser direct a new driver or other spare parts, including the small contact springs.

Dec 20, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #43,050 of 46,499
Hey guys I have been looking for a new cable for my 6XX for a while and was wodnering if spending the money on something from custom cams is worth it? I have gone through 3 cables now, the original one and 2 from amazon. I take care of my headphones, they lay flat on my desk when I am not using them and are not getting thrown around or anything or dropped however without fail it seems about 6 months to a year of usage, one headphone will start cutting out and if I wiggle the cable it cuts in and out. I love these headphones and have hated not using them, but I do not want to keep spending 30+ dollars a year to keep using them. I see some of the amazon cables have really bad reviews and they have broken off inside of the headphone etc so I am worried about continuing to use anything from there. Is it worth it to spend the money on something from custom cams and would it be more durable and last me longer without having to be replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back