Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #42,902 of 46,514
Sep 16, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #42,903 of 46,514
Does dekoni have any EU distributers. Looking at their site it would with shipping and taxes cost me around 125usd for the pads and that's way over budget for 2 pads for me :D
Drop is selling pads for HD6xx, I bought hybrid velour. People who already received say they are as good as Dekoni. Standard shipping to India is just $2.38.
If they are good, I will buy another.
Drop Earpads for HD 6XX & 58X
https://drop.com/buy/drop-earpads-for-hd6xx-and-hd58x#imagecarousel

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #42,905 of 46,514
New cable arrived, pads are on their way.
I'll never sell these, that's why there's an balanced connector on the cable. Next up changing that magni 3 for something, need to see if it's worth paying taxes for a THX 789 or the new THX 887 :jecklinsmile:

https://i.imgur.com/AkC7eVi.jpg?1

Attachments

• IMG_20190919_142349.jpg
    IMG_20190919_142349.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #42,907 of 46,514
Is the HD650 know to change for the better after a few hundred hours use? I didn't use my HD6xx much after I bought them because I didn't have a high impedance capable source and I prefer my other cans for their soundstage. But since I picked up a LG V20 fone which you might know has a high impedance dac built in, and after using the HD6xx significantly since, I've recently been checking the equalizer app to see if I have "field surround" or similar turned on but no. A gripe I initially had with the Senns is that the soundstage was narrower than I was expecting. Well maybe it's not the SS that has improved but the sense of depth if that's the correct description.

Also really tempted by those sheepskin pads.I find the stock pads just a tad itchy around the bottom of the ears especially ( I have hypersensitive skin which does't help). I feel if they were just a few millimeters deeper and wider they would be completely comfortable but as it is just a tad on the tight side.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #42,909 of 46,514
Is the HD650 know to change for the better after a few hundred hours use? I didn't use my HD6xx much after I bought them because I didn't have a high impedance capable source and I prefer my other cans for their soundstage. But since I picked up a LG V20 fone which you might know has a high impedance dac built in, and after using the HD6xx significantly since, I've recently been checking the equalizer app to see if I have "field surround" or similar turned on but no. A gripe I initially had with the Senns is that the soundstage was narrower than I was expecting. Well maybe it's not the SS that has improved but the sense of depth if that's the correct description.

Also really tempted by those sheepskin pads.I find the stock pads just a tad itchy around the bottom of the ears especially ( I have hypersensitive skin which does't help). I feel if they were just a few millimeters deeper and wider they would be completely comfortable but as it is just a tad on the tight side.
When I first got my HD650, Christmas 2010, I found them to be a little too much for my tastes - I was used to HD555 - I had them running 12 hours a night in their box at higher than my normal listening levels, every few days I would get them out and listen to them briefly, then put them away again. After 3 or 4 weeks I decided I liked them and have used them as my main phones ever since.
@dgozalie I would disagree with your friend's thoughts on finish quality if it was the HD650, the HD6XX does look a little plain but has the same build quality (my HD6XX are still in their box). I don't have a HE-400, I do have the HE-4XX, which has the same dull finish as the HD6XX, it is supposed to have a better build than the HE-400i (?)
I find that although the HE-4XX seems to do all the frequency range OK it just doesn't do music like the HD650 does, YMMV ...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #42,911 of 46,514
My stock cable chose the quick way out and I'll fix it when I get the time but for now i ordered an aftermarket one. Now that I changed that it will be time to change the pads soon as it's like a year late for it... Is there anything I should know about pads for our cans? I see the stock ones are recommended over aftermarket ones. What's the community thinking about that? :D
If you don't mind me asking, what cable are you using? My stock one died on me about a year after owning it, the let ear slowly would go out if I moved the cable it would come back, eventually died altogether. Bought a replacement, worked fine for about a year and now the left ear is doing the same thing again. Just wondering what other people are using for cables that I may have a better chance with.

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #42,912 of 46,514
Found a guy on ebay from the UK that makes them. He's using van damme silver plated cables and I requested the black Neutrik connectors at additional cost. The cable is really well made and it was shipped next day after ordering.
It was a bit costly but I grew up looking at the HD 650 as the best headphones ever as a kid so buying them was crossing a thing off my bucket list, and now i couldn't let my babys just lay there with a dead cable :D

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #42,915 of 46,514
Hello

My friend just review this massdrop hd6xx.. check it out...

https://orronoco.blogspot.com/2019/09/sennheiser-hd-6xx-better-upgrade-over.html

Thanks
I'm very surprised by this statement "Sound wise, it is almost the same you got from the Hifiman HE-400."
From everything I've heard, this doesn't seem to be the trend at all. I've had the 4xx for awhile now and I've only had limited experience with the HD600 series, but the presentation was very different. The Senn where much more midrange focused from what I remember. I know amps can be a big factor in headphones like these two, so I was also surprised that the reviewer didn't make any mention of the amp in use. It's nice to see a straightforward honest opinion, but I would have loved more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back