Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #42,886 of 46,514
I thought 110dB (or 115, or 120, or whatever) is chosen to account for maximum dynamic range of music (plus whatever EQ is being applied) over the hypothetical maximum average listening level?

So, say I normally listen at 85dB, but on occasion I like to rock out at closer to 95dB, and the classical album I'm listening to has a dynamic range of 30dB. Keeping in mind that half of the dynamic range will fall below the average listening level, that means I need power for 15dB on top of 95dB average = 110dB max.
If I apply +8dB of EQ, then the total should be 118dB (though I don't honestly know how EQ affects average loudness).

Anyway, that's what I've read and how I think about it, though, practically speaking, I don't think I ever get anywhere close to those levels.
Maybe we're talking about the same thing? Or maybe I'm misled on the how and why of it...
sorry, I should have specified that my personal example already considers peak level when I give my listening level. that's what I measure in the end with a full scale signal, not some average loudness based on crest factor or whatever other method that will better align with the subjective impression of overall loudness in a song.
so if on your hand you're thinking loudness as an average subjective value for an entire song or selection of songs(which is correct TBH), indeed you'll have to consider that this is not the loudest case scenario the amp will have to be able to "drive". the peaks in the song are.

about EQ, again probably my bad for keeping the basic assumptions in my head^_^. let's say I boost the bass by +5dB, I will usually also apply a -5dB gain setting in the EQ to the entire signal just to be safe about the possibility of the bass boost clipping the digital signal. so now if I want to listen to the same song and hear a bass boost instead of hearing that everything but the bass is quieter, I'll use my amp to compensate for those now missing 5dB. meaning it has to be able to do whatever it was previously doing+5dB.
is it clearer or did I still forget some super important detail?

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #42,887 of 46,514
is it clearer or did I still forget some super important detail?
Can't tell if you're being sincere or poking at me over my pedantry and semantics. :wink: I'm definitely not not a pedantic semanticist.

Also, yeah, what you said is very clear. I think we're both talking about the same thing.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #42,888 of 46,514
Can't tell if you're being sincere or poking at me over my pedantry and semantics. :wink: I'm definitely not not a pedantic semanticist.

Also, yeah, what you said is very clear. I think we're both talking about the same thing.
no sarcasm or irony here. I failed to be clear the first time, it's worth making sure the next. TBH, my writing "style" and my less than consistent English already justify that I sometime worry about being understood.

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #42,890 of 46,514
I sold my 6XX not too long ago due to the fact that I bought some Focal Exel and had stopped using the 6XX. I've been mulling around picking up another pair, because occasionally I try to reach for them now.

If it makes you feel any better, I've done the same thing in the past with my HD650. That was approximately 8 or 9 years ago. About two weeks afterwards I purchased a used pair. I haven't been without it since. I bought a new HD650 a couple of years ago.

Same with the HD600. I've owned a pair since 2003 and have never been without it since then. I bought two more over the years and sold the ones replaced.

One thing about the HD650 : when they're well amped their sound is something else.

Sep 1, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #42,892 of 46,514
define well amped
I believe the official definition is: when the casing of the amp is big enough to contain the headphone+entire cable. also the case must be silver or black, from an electrical perspective I've always been very suspicious of other colors. I have a scarlet 2i2 that has a red casing, and it's the one headphone out I never use with my hd650. coincidence? when asked, most experts reply: "wait, what?". but I don't let those haters distract me. I know a conclusive correlation when I see one.

or an amp that can handle near 4V into 300ohm(less is probably still enough for most needs unless you listen to music real loud).

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #42,893 of 46,514
They even sound good out of my laptops headphone jack... Surely loud enough, for quiet recordings as well.

Bass is a bit boomier as to compared to my Chord Mojo, but the midrange and treble still sounds great

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #42,894 of 46,514
define well amped

I can't define "well amped" in technical terms because I'm not good at anything much technical. What I do know is that when I listen to my HD650 on my vintage Kenwood integrated amp, 70wpc, [1974] the HD650 sounds great (yet another "non technical" term). The so called veil that seems to be forever associated with the HD650, is, non existent with the Kenwood. The sound is rich, the bass is tight and there's plenty of detail. The other factor is that my Kenwood has tone control adjustments. Nothing to do with volume of the music. I never listen to music at a high volume.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #42,896 of 46,514
About to get my hands on a pair of HD6XX from a local seller, how are these when paired with a DAP? This question may have been answered before but appreciate if you guys can save me from going through almost 3000 pages of replies here. ; )

they work really well, but need some power, FiiO M11, DX220, DX150, DX120, something with a bit of juice to drive them

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #42,899 of 46,514
My stock cable chose the quick way out and I'll fix it when I get the time but for now i ordered an aftermarket one. Now that I changed that it will be time to change the pads soon as it's like a year late for it... Is there anything I should know about pads for our cans? I see the stock ones are recommended over aftermarket ones. What's the community thinking about that? :D

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #42,900 of 46,514
My stock cable chose the quick way out and I'll fix it when I get the time but for now i ordered an aftermarket one. Now that I changed that it will be time to change the pads soon as it's like a year late for it... Is there anything I should know about pads for our cans? I see the stock ones are recommended over aftermarket ones. What's the community thinking about that? :D

I know that some people feel strongly about using new and new-ish stock pads for the best, most accurate sound. But I purchased the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin and I prefer them from both a sound and comfort perspective. I did some non-expert A/B-ing and to me it's clear, the Dekoni FSheepskin really do to the sound what the graph on their website says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back