Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #42,857 of 46,520
Check the post I just made on the 58x thread regarding soundstage/imaging. I disagree that it's smaller. Just my opinion though.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...x-jubilee-review-measurements.867972/page-261

No, I have not heard the 58x yet. They are on my short list for consideration of next headphone purchase. I like what I'm reading from others' impressions, except for the grain some hear, but more importantly, the smaller soundstage compared to 6xx.

What is this mod? Is this the same as the foam removal mod others have mentioned?

I think you make a very important point. Volume and tonal balance are very much related when it comes to what people ultimately hear. I prefer to listen a bit loud (just a bit), just enough to feel the bass a bit. This may be why I prefer cans with slightly recessed vocals and why I found the 650 a bit too forward with some vocals. Of course, at low volume, no can should sound shouty.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #42,859 of 46,520
I and many people would disagree with you. To me, without an amp, the HD650/HD600 are dull and lifeless, regardless of whether they are "loud enough." YMMV.

I know people disagree with me, that's why I said it was a persistent myth...
Look, the fact that you think they sound dull and lifeless without an (external) amp regardless of what source you're using indicates a level of irrationality with this.

An iPhone generally is a very high quality source with sub 10 ohm output impedance: https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm
and contrary to popular belief, the higher impedance of the HD600 (or HD650) makes it less picky when it comes to internal/external amplifiers because it draws less current.
The "synergy" arguing is basically an attempt at altering the frequency response by using imperfect amplifiers, and frankly it's a fool's errand. Get headphones who have a sound signature you like or use EQ.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #42,860 of 46,520
Look, the fact that you think they sound dull and lifeless without an (external) amp regardless of what source you're using indicates a level of irrationality with this.

An iPhone generally is a very high quality source with sub 10 ohm output impedance: https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm
and contrary to popular belief, the higher impedance of the HD600 (or HD650) makes it less picky when it comes to internal/external amplifiers because it draws less current.
The "synergy" arguing is basically an attempt at altering the frequency response by using imperfect amplifiers, and frankly it's a fool's errand. Get headphones who have a sound signature you like or use EQ.

It's not that I "think" they sound dull and lifeless without an amplifier. It's that I literally hear it that way. And not just once, but repeatedly. For now, I will trust the report of my senses, rather than your opinion.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #42,861 of 46,520
The "synergy" arguing is basically an attempt at altering the frequency response by using imperfect amplifiers, and frankly it's a fool's errand. Get headphones who have a sound signature you like or use EQ.[/QUOTE]

The effect on the output impedance of the amp (which varies with frequency) will have quite a noticeable effect on the sound so I'm going to have to disagree with you saying that a iPhone + HD650 will sound the same as BH Crack + HD650. You should try an amp that you can alter the output impedance on the fly and see if you still say that it makes no difference, if you don't hear any differences then lucky you that you can stick with an iPhone and never have to get an amp or DAC.

It's not that I "think" they sound dull and lifeless without an amplifier. It's that I literally hear it that way. And not just once, but repeatedly. For now, I will trust the report of my senses, rather than your opinion.

Agree, trust your senses!

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #42,862 of 46,520
Just listened to my HD650 on my Topping NX4DSD for the first time in a while. I have been using a simple Hidizs Sonata HDII USB-C dongle with them for a while now. I honestly cant tell a difference at the low volumes I tend to listen at, so back to the Hidizs Sonata HDII I went. On USB Audio Player Pro with the Hidizs I listen with the software volume at -20 to -12 depending on the album and how loud it was mixed.

There is an obvious major difference between the headphone jack on my Pixel 3a and the Hidizs Sonata HDII plugged into the USB-C port, but can't tell a difference at lower levels between the Hidizs and the NX4DSD.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #42,863 of 46,520

I personally heard a difference with the HD 650 and different amps (iphone 6, E10K, Magni 2). With the iphone 6, I tend to more or less agree with RickB's assessment. It sounded okay, clean, smooth, but lacked dynamics and punch. With the E10K, it sounded better: more soundstage depth and width, and a bit more punchy bass. With the Magni 2 (E10K used as DAC only), it sounded better and worse: much better dynamics, but soundstage closed up, and sounded a bit too bright for my taste. So I'm not sure exactly what your point is, but different amps do sound different, regardless of volume level.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #42,864 of 46,520
2257A8EB-59A5-41A3-A0CF-7121F3D575D7.jpeg

Late weekend night chilling with my M11 + 6XX.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #42,866 of 46,520
Thinking of getting that Dap. How’s it sound with the 6xx? Also what’s the cable?

It sounds very transparent but a little dry with the 6XX. Personally I liked it sounding with my N5ii better or Magni 3, as the low end had a bit of thump on it with some sparkle at top.

Regarding the cable, I got it at a local retailer called Headfoneshop. It’s a custom SPC cable that feels, looks and sounds super nice with the 6XX.

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #42,867 of 46,520
People who're saying the Chord Mojo is bass light or thin sounding with the HD 650 on USB, should try out 2 Audioquest Jitterbugs placed on the 2 different USB ports that are connected to the same bus, this high speed USB isolator (https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps), and the Moon Audio Black Dragon USB cable.

Bass is thundering with impact, and everything else so smooth and natural. Just pure bliss.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #42,869 of 46,520
People who're saying the Chord Mojo is bass light or thin sounding with the HD 650 on USB, should try out 2 Audioquest Jitterbugs placed on the 2 different USB ports that are connected to the same bus, this high speed USB isolator (https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps), and the Moon Audio Black Dragon USB cable.

Bass is thundering with impact, and everything else so smooth and natural. Just pure bliss.
Isn't the cost of 2 USB isolators + Black Dragon more than the cost of a HD650? Seems like a waste of effort/funds to get them to sound good on a Mojo to me, just my opinion but wouldn't it be easier to get a DAP (for portable use) or DAC+amp that didn't need the USB isolators and I'm one that doesn't believe that headphone cables makes any audio difference that I or any of my friends and family could hear.

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #42,870 of 46,520
Isn't the cost of 2 USB isolators + Black Dragon more than the cost of a HD650? Seems like a waste of effort/funds to get them to sound good on a Mojo to me, just my opinion but wouldn't it be easier to get a DAP (for portable use) or DAC+amp that didn't need the USB isolators and I'm one that doesn't believe that headphone cables makes any audio difference that I or any of my friends and family could hear.
Yes it is, but the Mojo itself is also more expensive than the HD650. I also got 2 other headphones that sound fantastic with the same setup.

The Mojo isn't thin and bass light by itself, it's just needs shielding from RF/EMI to perform it's fullest, and to me it is a noticable and endgame upgrade from the Mojo stock, even though the additional gear is a bit expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back