Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #42,271 of 46,499
I had an opportunity recently to compare HD650 (balanced) with HD800 (single ended) on HDVD600. I'm very disappointed of HD800. Is it better than 650? Yes. Deserved 3-4 times of price? Ridiculous.
Why not judge them equally? I have both and like them both but they are two very different headphones . I don’t know the difficulty of producing one over the other as to why one cost more than the other but would think the 800 would cost a bit more to produce as materials involved and how they are worked. I think it is worth at least 2x for comfort factor alone but after that it gets too subjective as per peoples likes . I just think ridiculous was a bit much as in my option and just mine the 800’s are a much better headphone but I will not get into precentages of worth though.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #42,272 of 46,499
Why not judge them equally? I have both and like them both but they are two very different headphones . I don’t know the difficulty of producing one over the other as to why one cost more than the other but would think the 800 would cost a bit more to produce as materials involved and how they are worked. I think it is worth at least 2x for comfort factor alone but after that it gets too subjective as per peoples likes . I just think ridiculous was a bit much as in my option and just mine the 800’s are a much better headphone but I will not get into precentages of worth though.

I listened in a store. They just use a balanced cable for 650, but not for 800.

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #42,273 of 46,499
Anyone else have the JDS Labs Atom with their 6XX? I read quite a few comments online about how this amp was the perfect match for the 6XX and had plenty of headroom left over after cranking it. I'm not having that experience at all. Its basically identical to my Magni 1, maybe just a bit cleaner. Volume wise, no difference. I literally have to dime it on high gain to get loud volume at the headphones. I've doubled check all of my volume settings and tested different headphones, etc. Does the Atom just lack the power for the HD 6XX or could something be wrong with my amp?

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #42,274 of 46,499
You say you’re starting to find it lacks bass punch so it had it but now it doesn’t or does it not sound like the headphone you want it to sound like. To me it has never been a real heavy hitter in the bass department good but not real slamming hard.
Yeah, it had it before, but something happened with either my Mojo or laptop, and now it lacks bass punch..

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #42,275 of 46,499
Anyone else have the JDS Labs Atom with their 6XX? I read quite a few comments online about how this amp was the perfect match for the 6XX and had plenty of headroom left over after cranking it. I'm not having that experience at all. Its basically identical to my Magni 1, maybe just a bit cleaner. Volume wise, no difference. I literally have to dime it on high gain to get loud volume at the headphones. I've doubled check all of my volume settings and tested different headphones, etc. Does the Atom just lack the power for the HD 6XX or could something be wrong with my amp?

You can always email JDS Labs and ask them ? The sales representative guy for JDS Labs is pretty good at addressing any problem related questions. I've dealt with him in the past and he was quite pleasant and easy to deal with. I did own the Atom a few months ago and I don't remember experiencing volume problems with the amp with either of my HD600 or HD650. The only reason I sold the Atom is due to it's lack of dynamics & clarity compared to the Objective 2 which I've owned for the better part of three years and am still enjoying. Good luck, hope you find a solution to your problem with the amp.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #42,277 of 46,499
Apr 1, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #42,280 of 46,499
Is there anyone here looking to trade their HD650s or 6XX for a shure se535? Thanks.

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-for-sale-trade.6550/

Make a topic and maybe you're lucky :wink:

The HD6XX at 200 bucks is an amazing value for the money, I will never sell mine, and if anyone who isn't already into this hobby asks me for recommendations, from a price/quality perspective, I will recommend the HD6XX before anything else. They are just incredible for the price, especially since they scale up to your gear a lot more than most. And I'm a Grado guy!

I recently purchased a HD6XX with a DAC and an AMP to enjoy listening to music even more than before. I can imagine that you'd recommend these headphones as first headphones. I'm very impressed as I enjoy these headphones for every type of music. Of course there are some minor things which could be improved for specific music genres, but the overal sound signature and the price-quality-rating is 10/10!

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #42,281 of 46,499
I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).
Have you had a chance to listen to 58Xs? Would love to hear your comparison.
How is the soundstage of 650s? Would you describe it as open?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #42,282 of 46,499
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-for-sale-trade.6550/

Make a topic and maybe you're lucky :wink:

I recently purchased a HD6XX with a DAC and an AMP to enjoy listening to music even more than before. I can imagine that you'd recommend these headphones as first headphones. I'm very impressed as I enjoy these headphones for every type of music. Of course there are some minor things which could be improved for specific music genres, but the overal sound signature and the price-quality-rating is 10/10!

Yep they are excellent headphones at any price, for $200 they are the best you can get by a wide margin.

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #42,283 of 46,499
Yep they are excellent headphones at any price, for $200 they are the best you can get by a wide margin.
Indeed. I personally find the HD 540 Gold to have cleaner mids and highs with the same natural tone, however the bass with current pads just doesn't cut them for me, the way the bass of the HD 650 does when my gear is perfectly set-up.

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #42,284 of 46,499
Hmm sure the hd650 doesn’t have the biggest soundstage but I wouldn’t call it “constrained”...

If I never heard any headphone but the HD650, I wouldn't have a thing to say about soundstage. It represents music & is entirely suitable/satisfactory IMO.

However, in comparing the HD650 to other headphones with really large, expansive soundstages (Eikon; HEX v2), the HD650's clearly is constrained comparatively. Maybe compact would be a better description.

People call the HD650's soundstage "intimate," and that's a pretty good description, either. No matter what it's called, I like and find it just right for the headphone.

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #42,285 of 46,499
Give them a tube, I find the sound stage opens up a tonne and broadens the three-blob effect nicely! Depth gets a bit deeper and feels less stuffy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back