Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #41,536 of 46,527
@chekrdnickrs, have you heard the HD660S? or HD58X? I think these 2 would be much better headphones for your use since they sound quite good without an amp, just a decent DAP or headphone output from laptop/desktop. The HD660S is about the price of the Mojo so its something to consider and the HD58X is $150 and many seem to like it like the HD6XX.

Yes! There was a 660S in the shop I spoke of, gave it some of my time but for its price, and the fact I already have the HD6XX, it'd be more of the same no? My head and heart are set on getting Aeon Flow Cs next. They look incredible and I have read little to no negative comments about them.

At least with a portable amp, I can expand my range of headphones as well as make my portable listening experience much easier.

I hear great things about the 58X Jubilee too. But Massdrop doesn't ship to my country! I got my 6XXs on eBay from someone who bought five units in a drop to make money off of the unfortunate fobs like me!

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #41,537 of 46,527
But it's a big hassle to pack up the stack and to set them up only to repeat for when I go home.

My source is my personal laptop that I also bring to work, and I was wondering if investing in a portable DAC/Amp like the Mojo to take the place of the travelling Schiit stack would be ideal?

For the price of Mojo (found it at $536 amazon just now), you can get not one but two sets of Modi2+Magni3 ($99/ea, $198 for the both of them, $396 for two sets) with at least $100 to spare.. one set for work, one set for your parent’s place and no lugging, except for the headphone.

Just a thought :)

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #41,538 of 46,527
For the price of Mojo (found it at $536 amazon just now), you can get not one but two sets of Modi2+Magni3 ($99/ea, $198 for the both of them, $396 for two sets) with at least $100 to spare.. one set for work, one set for your parent’s place and no lugging, except for the headphone.

Just a thought :)

Now there's a thought! Don't forget the shipping from Schiit to me though, which IIRC was about $50 with FedEx!

Decisions, decisions!

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #41,539 of 46,527
Hey guys, who tryed the HD6XX’s with NFB-11.28 and other amps ? Is this good compo ?

I haven't heard a 6XX, though I did recently do a lot of listening to stock & heavily modded HD650s for a review posted here (the HD6XX is said to sound nearly identical to the HD650). In this process, I listened to both the stock & modded HPs on 4 SS amps (V281; LC v2; Lake People G109-A; M Stage Matrix HPA-1) + an OTL tube amp, the Woo WA3. The surprise was I preferred solid state amps by a large margin.

The HD650 does not need tremendous power IMO. This is a reasonably sensitive/efficient design, so that the main effects of amp power are to overcome mismatched impedances--the HD650 is 300 ohm impedance, while the output impedance of most SS amps is very low unless impedance switching is provided.

I got really excellent sound out of the HD650 out of my 2nd least powerful amp, the M Stage Matrix HPA-1 with my favorite of the opamps I tried, the dual OPA827AIDs. In fact, I could happily live with this pairing. Didn't think to try the HD650 with my lowest power amp, the tiny but pretty good DAC/amp combo FiiO E10K. That would've been interesting...
  • I'm guessing any amp (standalone or part of DAP or DAC/amp combo) w/>1/2W/ch power would be more than sufficient.

Re Audio GD, I haven't heard the DAC/amp/preamp you mention (though many here rave about it), but my guess is this would be way more than enough to get great sound out of the HD650. I have 1 AGD amp (the extremely powerful SA-31SE standalone amp); and owned one combo unit that had a really powerful, good sounding amp section (NFB 15.32). My guess is you can't go wrong w/Audio GD amps & the HD650.

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #41,540 of 46,527
Now there's a thought! Don't forget the shipping from Schiit to me though, which IIRC was about $50 with FedEx!

Yes, I know, living in Europe the shipping costs were about $50, and then taxes and customs fees on top of that.

However, I think the shipping will not rise by that much when ordering more units in the same shipment. I’m sure you can email them to get an exact shipping quote.

Also, on the Schiit website there is a list of official distributors, if you live closer to one of them it could be beneficial to order from there. For me that would be schiit-europe.

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #41,541 of 46,527
I haven't heard a 6XX, though I did recently do a lot of listening to stock & heavily modded HD650s for a review posted here (the HD6XX is said to sound nearly identical to the HD650). In this process, I listened to both the stock & modded HPs on 4 SS amps (V281; LC v2; Lake People G109-A; M Stage Matrix HPA-1) + an OTL tube amp, the Woo WA3. The surprise was I preferred solid state amps by a large margin.

The HD650 does not need tremendous power IMO. This is a reasonably sensitive/efficient design, so that the main effects of amp power are to overcome mismatched impedances--the HD650 is 300 ohm impedance, while the output impedance of most SS amps is very low unless impedance switching is provided.

I got really excellent sound out of the HD650 out of my 2nd least powerful amp, the M Stage Matrix HPA-1 with my favorite of the opamps I tried, the dual OPA827AIDs. In fact, I could happily live with this pairing. Didn't think to try the HD650 with my lowest power amp, the tiny but pretty good DAC/amp combo FiiO E10K. That would've been interesting...
  • I'm guessing any amp (standalone or part of DAP or DAC/amp combo) w/>1/2W/ch power would be more than sufficient.

Re Audio GD, I haven't heard the DAC/amp/preamp you mention (though many here rave about it), but my guess is this would be way more than enough to get great sound out of the HD650. I have 1 AGD amp (the extremely powerful SA-31SE standalone amp); and owned one combo unit that had a really powerful, good sounding amp section (NFB 15.32). My guess is you can't go wrong w/Audio GD amps & the HD650.

really great reaplay, i already have the NFB-11.28 but idk if this combo really good but the NFB-15 have the same power as NFB-11.28 so do you think it's enough ? and also i ordered the HD6XX from massdrop,

NFB-11.28:
3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

NFB-15.32 i can't find it on audio-gd website but i found the NFB-15 and i think it has the same amp :

3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

so this amp is cannot power HD6XX ? because it's only 300mW at 300 OHM !

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #41,542 of 46,527
really great reaplay, i already have the NFB-11.28 but idk if this combo really good but the NFB-15 have the same power as NFB-11.28 so do you think it's enough ? and also i ordered the HD6XX from massdrop,

NFB-11.28:
3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

NFB-15.32 i can't find it on audio-gd website but i found the NFB-15 and i think it has the same amp :

3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

so this amp is cannot power HD6XX ? because it's only 300mW at 300 OHM !

more than enough power. really.

if you were asking about a planar headphone, maybe my answer would be different. but this should be more than enough.

remember, I was getting really excellent results with an amp (M Stage Matrix HPA-1) that's probably rated ~500mW/32 ohm, w/far less at 300 ohm. And it not only produced more than enough volume, but also drove the bass and lower frequencies (which suck power) very well.

dynamic headphones have certain advantages, and this is one--relatively easy to drive (most of them, anyway).

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #41,544 of 46,527
more than enough power. really.

if you were asking about a planar headphone, maybe my answer would be different. but this should be more than enough.

remember, I was getting really excellent results with an amp (M Stage Matrix HPA-1) that's probably rated ~500mW/32 ohm, w/far less at 300 ohm. And it not only produced more than enough volume, but also drove the bass and lower frequencies (which suck power) very well.

dynamic headphones have certain advantages, and this is one--relatively easy to drive (most of them, anyway).

Thank you man I appreciate that help :)

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #41,548 of 46,527
I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).
Guss2, I agree with you about the wonderful sound of the HD650. I have found the HD650 to be a very satisfying headphone with accurate timbre of acoustic instruments like you would hear in a concert hall--and I have attended many classical music concerts. A non-fatiguing, relaxing sound that I can listen to for extended periods in many music genres. My headphone setup below has proved to be a very good match with the HD650.

27" iMac--> Pure Music 3.0.9--> UpTone Audio Regen--> Schitt Eitr--> Eastern Electric Minimac Plus DAC with Burson V6 Classic opamps --> Wireworld Silver-Eclipse cables--> Burson Lycan headphone amp with V6 Classic opamps--> Massdrop HD650

Roger

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #41,549 of 46,527

Decisions, decisions!

I'll add another variable to your decision. You should consider getting a closed-back headphone in case your workmates attitude changes over time. They may not mind it now but they might in the future.

If you like the HD650 sound signature you should consider the Meze 99 Classics. They are easy to drive so no need for amps and you'll spend less than getting another Schiit stack or a Mojo. If your laptop DAC is lacking you could go for an Audioquest Dragonfly Red...it pairs very nicely with the Meze's.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #41,550 of 46,527
I'll add another variable to your decision. You should consider getting a closed-back headphone in case your workmates attitude changes over time. They may not mind it now but they might in the future.

If you like the HD650 sound signature you should consider the Meze 99 Classics. They are easy to drive so no need for amps and you'll spend less than getting another Schiit stack or a Mojo. If your laptop DAC is lacking you could go for an Audioquest Dragonfly Red...it pairs very nicely with the Meze's.

Hey thanks for the feedback! When I'm too lazy to bring my whole setup to work I usually just go with my portable option - AK70 to Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s with a balanced cable.

I've actually given some serious thought to upgrading my closed-back headphones, and am quite close to settling on the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed. Almost nothing negative said about them!

I love my HD6XXs and wish I could bring them everywhere, but I really like the look (and will hopefully love the sound) of the AFCs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back