Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #41,567 of 46,527
The thing I've noticed most about my HD 6XX currently, is that the movement on your head makes a DRAMATIC difference in sound, really. This hasn't been said much, but it's a VERY important factor that users get the impressions of the sound with. Depending on the fit they can literally go from having an actual veil, to being sparkly.

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #41,568 of 46,527
Tube amps are interesting but would probably be a pain. Also I can't see how those can be clean and neutral but I guess that's why some like them... and it comes down to personal preference instead of pure neutrality.

It's good to know that HD 6XX works well with AE-5 since I have HD 6XX coming.

Yes, I am not expecting a tube amp to be better (just different),but never heard tubes before and many rave about how well tubes go with HD650/6xx so just want to hear for myself in case I may be missing something.

I think you should be happy with the 6xx pairing with AE-5, I am actually fully satisfied with this setup and have no real need to try another setup, but as you know curiosity killed the cat (hence looking to try tubes).

Anyway, please give us all your impression once you receive it.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #41,569 of 46,527
Tube amps are interesting but would probably be a pain. Also I can't see how those can be clean and neutral but I guess that's why some like them... and it comes down to personal preference instead of pure neutrality.
Don't assume all SS amps are neutral since most are not, same with tube amps, some are more "neutral" than others and since "neutral" is subjective what you consider "neutral" may or may not be what I consider "neutral" but there are a few things that most will agree with it is somewhere close to neutral.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #41,570 of 46,527
Don't assume all SS amps are neutral since most are not, same with tube amps, some are more "neutral" than others and since "neutral" is subjective what you consider "neutral" may or may not be what I consider "neutral" but there are a few things that most will agree with it is somewhere close to neutral.
if I purchase a warm amp from a Swiss manufacturer, is it still neutral? :ghost:

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #41,571 of 46,527
if I purchase a warm amp from a Swiss manufacturer, is it still neutral? :ghost:
My amp isn't neutral, it's non-aligned.
I'll have get it properly aligned sometime (or is that only tuners?)
Maybe I'll have to get it tuned up.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #41,573 of 46,527
I finally picked up a pair after putting it off for a long time. I ended up buying a pair off of Amazon because imo, the titanium finish is soooooo much better looking than the midnight blue of the HD6XX. But initial impressions are good. I purchased a pair of HD600 first, and going back and forth between them I can see why people are divided on the two. It has a certain romantic thick quality to it's presentation that is kind of different from every other warm headphone I have heard. I definitely see why they are often considered to have a veil. Very interesting headphone, I'm looking forward to doing some extended listening :p

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #41,575 of 46,527
Although I'm legally blind (literarily) I do believe my 6XX is flat black in color, not midnight blue.
I received them around March '18 I believe.

It is a very dark blue and depending on the light it could look black, but on the Massdrop page they are specifically mentioned as having been changed to a "deep midnight blue". Many of Massdrop's collaborations use a dark blue colorway, like the 4XX, NuForce EDC, MEE Planamic IEM's, Noble Universal IEM's, Massdrop's own Plus IEM's etc... Personally I just don't care for it. But I'm picky :p
Screenshot_20180822-220151_Chrome.jpg

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #41,577 of 46,527
Yeah, I thought mine were black, too, until I shined a bright light on them.
I'll have to get my magnifier out and take a good look under the right lighting to see the blue color on mine then Even though I'm legally blind, I would've put a million dollars on it that mine were flat black, but I'm in no position to argue with my vision.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back