Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #41,521 of 46,527
Picked up some XLR connectors to convert the stock cable, but does anyone have any other suggestions for aftermarket cables? I was looking at the Venture Electronics ones but everyone says they're meh quality. Thinking Periapt Cables might be the one to go with.
I've got a set of cables from Venture and Periapt - both terminated in balanced XLR. I'd say both are at least good quality, but Periapt is noticably better given similarly priced cables. That's where I look if I need more cables. Though they are a little heavier if that's a concern.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #41,522 of 46,527
20180731_213203.jpg

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #41,523 of 46,527
I

I listen to alot of instrumental and vocal music. I like the laid back and smooth sound of 6xx. Currently all I have is a SoundblasterX AE-5 amp/dac which is surprisingly good but I want a taste of OTL/hybrids as I think it will likely suit my music preference more.

I have narrowed down to list of amps below:
- Cavalli Tube Hybrid (MCTH) = currently my top pick as I like the aesthetics + many report good synergy
- Schiit Valhalla 2 = Seems to have good synergy but I am not too sure I like so many tubes (4 tubes will be costly)
- Bottlehead Crack + Speedball = everyone says its got great synergy, but I think its really ugly and also I cant DIY
- Schiit Lyr 3 = not sure how well this pairs
- Darkvoice 336se = bit concerned with build quality and fire hazard
- Massdrop Eddie Current ZDT Jr. = bit of mixed reviews on this one so unsure
- One of the LittleDot amps = don't know too much about these
- or other???

What do you think?

Add a Woo Audio WA3 to your list and spend some money on replacement tubes (which you will be doing with any of the above amps).

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #41,524 of 46,527
I got my HD6XXs a month and change ago - and I had these Kennerton Amaranth cups waiting for them. Took a couple weeks to break in, and analyze the sound, then modded them - to my surprise, the cups made them sound a little better - tad brighter, little more forward mids. They weigh a ton now, but I love the sound so I'm keeping the cups. Can't wait to get back home and listen to 'em some more! I'm just loving electronic music through them!

20180720_191001.jpg 20180720_191106.jpg

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #41,526 of 46,527
I got my HD6XXs a month and change ago - and I had these Kennerton Amaranth cups waiting for them. Took a couple weeks to break in, and analyze the sound, then modded them - to my surprise, the cups made them sound a little better - tad brighter, little more forward mids. They weigh a ton now, but I love the sound so I'm keeping the cups. Can't wait to get back home and listen to 'em some more! I'm just loving electronic music through them!

Wow, amaranth cups, I had no idea such product was available.

Since I'm a beer hunter, I should look for some barley cups! :ksc75smile:

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #41,527 of 46,527

have you rolled the pads to dial in the closed sound?

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #41,529 of 46,527
Hey guys, are there any great disparity in sound with the hd650 vs hd6xx?

I have both headphones. Most everyone agrees that they are identical sounding, however I and a couple others here on headfi.org noticed that the HD6XX is slightly more sparkly in the high frequencies. Not majorly so, just audibly noticeable to a few of us. Other than that they are pretty much identical sounding.

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #41,531 of 46,527
Hey guys,

Am about 3 weeks in to my new HD6XXs and am loving them with the Modi2/Magni3 combo that's been championed so much in the HiFi world.

For two days last week I brought this setup to work to see if I'd irk or annoy anyone with my music. Surprisingly nobody cared, and that's great for me!

But it's a big hassle to pack up the stack and to set them up only to repeat for when I go home.

My source is my personal laptop that I also bring to work, and I was wondering if investing in a portable DAC/Amp like the Mojo to take the place of the travelling Schiit stack would be ideal?

While there are many DAC/Amp choices out there - at least, from what I've tried to research - I've settled on the Mojo because I can buy it locally - I come from a very un-audiophile-friendly country, but the one shop that does stock a decent selection of hifi equipment has this.

I also travel back to my parents' home every weekend, from Friday night to Sunday night, and lugging my entire setup to and fro is time-consuming and I also find it risky to be subjecting sensitive equipment to moves and changes every time.

What say you fine folk?

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #41,532 of 46,527
Hey guys,

Am about 3 weeks in to my new HD6XXs and am loving them with the Modi2/Magni3 combo that's been championed so much in the HiFi world.

For two days last week I brought this setup to work to see if I'd irk or annoy anyone with my music. Surprisingly nobody cared, and that's great for me!

But it's a big hassle to pack up the stack and to set them up only to repeat for when I go home.

My source is my personal laptop that I also bring to work, and I was wondering if investing in a portable DAC/Amp like the Mojo to take the place of the travelling Schiit stack would be ideal?

While there are many DAC/Amp choices out there - at least, from what I've tried to research - I've settled on the Mojo because I can buy it locally - I come from a very un-audiophile-friendly country, but the one shop that does stock a decent selection of hifi equipment has this.

I also travel back to my parents' home every weekend, from Friday night to Sunday night, and lugging my entire setup to and fro is time-consuming and I also find it risky to be subjecting sensitive equipment to moves and changes every time.

What say you fine folk?
After using a friends Mojo for a few days a long way back, I found that its a bit too warm with the HD650 for me and the bass gets a bit loose. FWIW I prefer the HD650 with a tube amp (OTL - BH Crack or hybrid - Ember) since it seems like the HD650 were design for these tube amps but this is just my preferences and since we all hear differently and have our own preferences you may like the Mojo pairing.

Also, the HD650/HD6XX are not headphones I'd be moving around much since they don't fold up.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #41,533 of 46,527
After using a friends Mojo for a few days a long way back, I found that its a bit too warm with the HD650 for me and the bass gets a bit loose. FWIW I prefer the HD650 with a tube amp (OTL - BH Crack or hybrid - Ember) since it seems like the HD650 were design for these tube amps but this is just my preferences and since we all hear differently and have our own preferences you may like the Mojo pairing.

Also, the HD650/HD6XX are not headphones I'd be moving around much since they don't fold up.

Yeah that's the thing. My current portable setup is an AK70 with Momentum 2.0s - I plan to upgrade these to Aeon FLow Cs sometime in the future.

FWIW I've got a carry case that can supposedly fit HD650s in the mail. Anything's better than lugging that big showcase box around.

As much as I don't want to treat my HD6XXs as portable headphones (still finding the advertising images on their Massdrop page hilarious), they'll be following me home and back to where I stay for work every weekend either way.

So, for a portable DAC/Amp, not the Mojo then..? I might drop by the shop to give them a try with my 6XXs, but obviously wanted some feedback from headfiers on this first, since this obviously isn't a new topic or question.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #41,534 of 46,527
@chekrdnickrs, have you heard the HD660S? or HD58X? I think these 2 would be much better headphones for your use since they sound quite good without an amp, just a decent DAP or headphone output from laptop/desktop. The HD660S is about the price of the Mojo so its something to consider and the HD58X is $150 and many seem to like it like the HD6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back