Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #41,506 of 46,518
I received an HD6xx. Great headphone. Only complaint is the energy being relaxed and the midrange being a little sweet. Other than that, decently neutral. Details are above expectations. Very musical. Top choice at this price.

If someone is interested I am selling it to try more headphone. PM me if interested.
Sounds like you might like HD 58X Jubilee.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #41,507 of 46,518
Sounds like you might like HD 58X Jubilee.

Noted :)

I am willing to do a 1 for 1 trade. If you have a Jubilee and want an HD6xx contact me.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #41,510 of 46,518
just purchased a brand new open box hd650 for ~$220 to pair with a burson amp. hope it live up to the hype ive been hearing all these days!
Not much hype on these, its the HD58X that has the hype these days and a few months ago it was the HD660S that had the hype. The HD650 and HD600 have been around for a rally long time but you do need to consider the supporting gear (DAC, amp) and personal preferences as to if you will like them or not. I probably will never part with mine but they don't get much use these days since I've gotten some speaker gear out of storage.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #41,511 of 46,518
just purchased a brand new open box hd650 for ~$220 to pair with a burson amp. hope it live up to the hype ive been hearing all these days!

What a great deal, that is just $20 more than HD6XX, or about the price of an original spare HD650 cable (which was the first thing I purchased for my HD6XX, the one that comes with it is too short) :)

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #41,512 of 46,518
Noted :)

I am willing to do a 1 for 1 trade. If you have a Jubilee and want an HD6xx contact me.
Unfortunately I like my Jubilees too much. :D

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #41,514 of 46,518
what is so good about the jubilees that are different from your 6xx if you dont mind explaining?
I don't have my HD 6XX yet so can't comment.

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #41,515 of 46,518
what is so good about the jubilees that are different from your 6xx if you dont mind explaining?

The HD6XX is a terrific sounding headphone but in order to get the best out of them you really need an amp to drive them properly. The HD58X is easier to drive but since I already have a few amps naturally I listen to them through the amps. Although very similar sounding to the HD650, the HD58X is more lively and musical sounding with slightly better bass. Due to the fact that they are only 150 ohm impedance (compared to the HD650 being 300 ohm) they become louder more quickly than the HD650. I haven't heard the HD58X un-amped so I don't know how they would compare to an amped HD650. I am really enjoying my HD58X and have been listening to them almost exclusively since receiving them a few weeks ago.

Jul 25, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #41,516 of 46,518
The HD6XX is a terrific sounding headphone but in order to get the best out of them you really need an amp to drive them properly. The HD58X is easier to drive but since I already have a few amps naturally I listen to them through the amps. Although very similar sounding to the HD650, the HD58X is more lively and musical sounding with slightly better bass. Due to the fact that they are only 150 ohm impedance (compared to the HD650 being 300 ohm) they become louder more quickly than the HD650. I haven't heard the HD58X un-amped so I don't know how they would compare to an amped HD650. I am really enjoying my HD58X and have been listening to them almost exclusively since receiving them a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your explanation! So more lively and musical sounding is the difference! Glad you are enjoying them.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #41,517 of 46,518
Can anyone who has done/heard a KISS-modded HD650 attest to their improved sound? Still love the 650 out of my Crackatwoa despite owning "better" headphones, curious enough that I might pick up some driver housings direct from Sennheiser and give the mod a try.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #41,518 of 46,518
Question:
I had a bad power tube on my DV336SE. I took out the driver tube in doing some testing but forgot to unplug the headphones(HD650)

When the amp was turned on, this bad tube put out loud pops into HD650 atleast 7 times before i could turn it off and unplug headphones.

Luckily i was not wearing the headphones so the ears are safe. HD650 seems to work fine now, but it still bugs me something 'may' have gone wrong.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #41,519 of 46,518
Picked up some XLR connectors to convert the stock cable, but does anyone have any other suggestions for aftermarket cables? I was looking at the Venture Electronics ones but everyone says they're meh quality. Thinking Periapt Cables might be the one to go with.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #41,520 of 46,518
Picked up some XLR connectors to convert the stock cable, but does anyone have any other suggestions for aftermarket cables? I was looking at the Venture Electronics ones but everyone says they're meh quality. Thinking Periapt Cables might be the one to go with.

Funny thing, but I picked up a balanced HD650 cable from Periapt recently for my "J-Mod," the Jupiter Audio Research modded HD650 I recently reviewed. But my J-Mod has been circulating as a review loaner ever since the review--so I've never actually heard the Periapt cable (a very snappy looking red "Professional XLR" model).

I did purchase one other Periapt Cable, a single ended "Professional - Pro" model for the Sony MDR Z7 I was about to list F.S. (needed the SE cable to round out its cable set). That cable sounded very good to me, at least as good as the stock XLR cable...hardly an apples to apples comparison.

My 3 other aftermarket cables are double or triple the cost of Periapt (a couple OFC cables from ZMF; and a ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir cable). They're great, but kinda pricey for the HD650.

So yes, my vote would be PeriaptCables.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back