Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #41,101 of 46,565
I had the chance past week to try the HD6XX and i can say that Hugo 2 with HD6XX are perfect match ,,
i cant stress enough how this combo sound sooo amazing ,,

the Cross-Feed option in the Hugo 2 DAC is a MUST for the HD6XX because they lack in sound stage ..

Anybody looking for a DAC i think the Hugo 2 was deigned with HD600 series in mind ,,
although they are not super detailed and don't utilize the full potential of the Hugo2 but still it is very enjoyable

the 660s is under my radar after my experience with 6XX :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #41,102 of 46,565
I finally wiped off the dust from the 650 seeing I upgraded to a Gumby and MJ2. Figured it was time to give a listen again and.....? Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Never heard these headphones sound so good. I slapped in a GE JG 5670 Black plate D getter and I believe I may have found an excellent match. There doesn't seem to be any veil to me from what I remember and the bass is just fine. The mids are the mids.....silky smooth that just make you float away and get lost in the music. It doesn't slam or go deep into the sub regions but has a nice mid bump with enough "oomph" where it satisfies my bass needs. The resolve pretty well with really good detail. I really like how they scaled up with my gear. Looks like these won't collect dust anymore.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #41,103 of 46,565
What phone are you using? I've heard some say that some phones have a pretty good DAC in them so its not surprising that your phone sounds better than the UCA-202. Also, you may want to consider a DAP since you seem to like the A5 which can be paired with a DAP if you need extra power if the DAP output is limiting to you. I have a Fiio X3ii and old X3, both which have digital coax output so I can connect them to my other DACs if need but as a stand alone player they are quite good with most headphones and a bit better than my phones (Galaxy S5 and S8). The S8 isn't as bad as the S5 but it takes almost max volume (13-14/15) on the S8 to drive the HD650 to my listening levels.

Just a cheap Nokia 3 (retails for $149). I guess the Behringer is just that bad. Apparently the line outs are even worse because of cheap opamps. Looking forward to trying the Topping DAC which have the OPA2134. That was my favorite OPAMP when I modded CD players a few years ago.

I have no use for a DAP since I listen to Spotify only.

Edit: I decided to try some classical music (Bach's Brandenburg Concertos) and it sounds extremely lifelike. Minus the bumped midbass it sounds the way it does when I'm attending a live concert. Maybe I should consider getting a HD600 if I ever see it on sale.

Hiphop and funk sound fantastic on this too.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #41,104 of 46,565
Just a cheap Nokia 3 (retails for $149). I guess the Behringer is just that bad. Apparently the line outs are even worse because of cheap opamps. Looking forward to trying the Topping DAC which have the OPA2134. That was my favorite OPAMP when I modded CD players a few years ago.

I have no use for a DAP since I listen to Spotify only.

Edit: I decided to try some classical music (Bach's Brandenburg Concertos) and it sounds extremely lifelike. Minus the bumped midbass it sounds the way it does when I'm attending a live concert. Maybe I should consider getting a HD600 if I ever see it on sale.

Hiphop and funk sound fantastic on this too.
I think you should also consider the HD660S since it doesn't have as much of the mid-bass hump, it sounds better on more varied gear and its a great mid point between the HD600 and HD650, only down side is the current price.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #41,105 of 46,565
Can anyone recommend a custom cable for the 6XX that isn’t the same damn price as the headphones themself? Lol, the stock cable is gross and too short for me.

I don’t need godlike sound/quality or anything. Just something around 7-9ft and looks good for hopefully under or at $50?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #41,106 of 46,565
Can anyone recommend a custom cable for the 6XX that isn’t the same damn price as the headphones themself? Lol, the stock cable is gross and too short for me.

I don’t need godlike sound/quality or anything. Just something around 7-9ft and looks good for hopefully under or at $50?

For less than $50 your best bet is to get the stock HD650 cable. Great sound quality and feels great, also 9ft long.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #41,107 of 46,565

I like the cables made by Periapt Cables. Check the link below: I configured their medium level cable ("Professional") to 7 ft. length w/XLR input & Sennheiser HP jacks. You can pick any color (red is pretty!) & the input jack is selected on the left. Total: $65 (not a lot in cable-land...)

https://periaptcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/professional-pro?variant=37807053586

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #41,108 of 46,565
I think you should also consider the HD660S since it doesn't have as much of the mid-bass hump, it sounds better on more varied gear and its a great mid point between the HD600 and HD650, only down side is the current price.
Is this really true? I was actually wishing that there would be an avg of the two headphones, like a birth child of the two. I found HD600 a tad bright and HD650 a bit dark.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #41,111 of 46,565
I listened to my HD650 on my smartphone through the Fiio A5 and it sounds better than through the UCA-202 line-out. I am confident that a better DAC will blow me away.
if you can try various stuff, go ahead. just remember that various DACs are likely to have different volume outputs. sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's really just enough to trick us into finding the sound different while missing that it's due to a volume level change making the bass tighter, the trebles more details the midrange louder, and whatever else due to how our ears and mind work. obviously there could be other causes for variations in sound, but you should really pay attention to that and try as much as possible to properly match the volume output before jumping to conclusion about how amazingly different all the DACs are.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #41,112 of 46,565

I have a 3m Venus Audio cable that I'm not using anymore since I've learned to build my own, paid $65 but will sell for $50 + shipping. It has a 6.3mm jack and looks like this:
10 ft Venus Audio.jpg
This is the other Venus Audio cable that I got for my HE400i a while back, sorry I don't have a picture of the HD6 cable since its in storage at present along with much of my other audio gear.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #41,113 of 46,565
Is this really true? I was actually wishing that there would be an avg of the two headphones, like a birth child of the two. I found HD600 a tad bright and HD650 a bit dark.
To me the HD660S is closer to the HD600 than the HD650 since its not rolled off in the highs like the HD650 and the bass is cleaner and more detailed with most gear where the HD650 does better with an OTL amp. I'm like you and found the HD600 a touch on the bright side and the small peak at 3.5-5khz did bother me at times.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #41,114 of 46,565
To me the HD660S is closer to the HD600 than the HD650 since its not rolled off in the highs like the HD650 and the bass is cleaner and more detailed with most gear where the HD650 does better with an OTL amp. I'm like you and found the HD600 a touch on the bright side and the small peak at 3.5-5khz did bother me at times.
Remember, for me it's not the upper mids treble, it's the lower treble that can bother me. So, we can differ in opinion on the treble quality of the HD660. You need to ask your GF for me instead. LOL.

I saw a video review stating that Sundara is brighter. Sundara is not really bright on the lower treble for me, so this leads me to think this reviewer is upper mids treble sensitive. And states 660 is on the dark side? But, it doesn't sounds like people consider it as dark as the HD650(for those that do find it on the dark side).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #41,115 of 46,565
Well, at least according to the graph(Innerfidelity), 660 seeming very close to 650 with 660 having more 5-6k presence with 650 reaching deeper in the subs. So, 660 looks(at least in measurement) to have slightly more treble quantity(5-6k), but maybe not the bass. Maybe this slight 5-6k lift would make a difference in dark/brightness level?

Here's Jude measurement(above I looked at innerfidelity).

MJT7kpSxVb-qug0CaPZucDkooFSfnaAcBY9lh7EH-i0.jpg

Looks so close in the treble, and different emphasis in his graph. They seem pretty similar in tonality with some difference in the mids.

Which is the closer response!? I'll just take it that HD660 is quite close to the HD650.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back