Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #39,842 of 46,499
Congrats on getting the HD650, post back after you've had some time with them and I'd be interested in your impressions compared to the HD400S since I though it was similar to the HD650 when I heard them 2 years ago.
HE400S similar to HD 650? Not according to my ears. 650 is warmer, more bass, less treble. I found the mids warmer and more natural and realistic on the HE400S.
Y

I just mean they are at the perfect level between warm and bright
That would make them neutral.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #39,843 of 46,499
HE400S similar to HD 650? Not according to my ears. 650 is warmer, more bass, less treble. I found the mids warmer and more natural and realistic on the HE400S.

That would make them neutral.

If it wasn't for the lack of punch in the bass department I wouldn't have got the HE 400I as the HE 400S are so good in other departments especially the mids, the treble could be scaled back just a tiny bit

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #39,846 of 46,499
Please remove the YouTube videos and just post links to the videos instead. They slow down smartphones and really aren't appropriate.

Not sure why you think this in "inappropriate". He was asked to give some links, after all. Plus, lots of threads on this site share Youtube video links. Shouldn't slow your phone down too much, either (unless it is very old) unless you try to play them.

On a different note, @Paddy, how do I know if I can hear "sub-bass"? I have AKG 7XXs and DT 770 250 Ohm cans (both of which I love), listening through a Mojo.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #39,847 of 46,499
I said similar, not exactly :ksc75smile:. HE400S has a bit more sub-bass and the highs are a bit more forward but the mids of the HD650 were what I would consider more natural so its to each his own.

@Paddy, thanks for the links, I guess I've listened to "house" before but I considered it "trance" or a form of EDM.

@Chris1975, if you want to hear sub-bass try going here: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #39,848 of 46,499
Not sure why you think this in "inappropriate". He was asked to give some links, after all. Plus, lots of threads on this site share Youtube video links. Shouldn't slow your phone down too much, either (unless it is very old) unless you try to play them.

On a different note, @Paddy, how do I know if I can hear "sub-bass"? I have AKG 7XXs and DT 770 250 Ohm cans (both of which I love), listening through a Mojo.

For me I feel i know whether it's more sub bass based on the fact that I can feel the low as much as I can hear it. It is quite a thick and heavy low

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #39,849 of 46,499
Deep house is really a mix of mid and sub bass.

I like that last track. Plenty of bass for me but I expect there's so much more on the dancefloor.

Luckily, I don't dance. :L3000:

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #39,851 of 46,499
I deleted the video links and just recopied the url and pasted it and it has automatically turned them into videos viewable on the forum rather than just links. I'll try and change this

The solution is to just delete the video links. They are a resource drain to have to load them especially on a cell phone.

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #39,853 of 46,499
Thank you everyone who shared those music videos to illustrate the HD650's bass and sub-bass capabilities. In order to hear them through my laptop I needed to connect via USB, which I rarely ever do (incidentally quite the raging going on in the Modi MB thread about USB). I have to say that those tunes sounded terrific through my laptop's USB (with Bimby/Jot and also Bifrost 4490/Lake People G109S). Without a doubt the HD650 has plenty of pleasure in the bass & sub-bass region for Moi.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #39,855 of 46,499
I listen to a lot of prog house, trance, deep house, techno etc on my HD650 which I recently got and love them for it. I use a Jot w/DAC module and they power them great and add a nice lower end.

I have a pair of HD25ii that I DJ with and while they obviously have a little more punch to them due to being on ear and closed. The 650s are great when I'm home listening/digging/buying tracks to play out live. I previously used to use DT-770, but I wanted to try something open backed and I've always wondered about the venerable HD650.

I have a Valhalla 2 coming tomorrow also to play around with on other genres, and a pair of Hifiman 4xx from Massdrop in December.

I knew coming back to this website after I rebuilt my setup/desk was a bad idea lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back