Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #39,811 of 46,514
Because of a Massdrop, they aren't making cables other than for Massdrop customers.

Ah, that sucks. I didn't know that, I guess I was lucky as I received a new delivery from them last week.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #39,812 of 46,514
Sep 8, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #39,813 of 46,514
Maxing out my HD650, source-wise. I was just using them to test phono grounding and preamp noise, but damn they sounded so good that I had to stop and listen for a bit. Truly a classic audiophile headphone, for a bargain price, that scales almost endlessly. The Headroom Maxxed Balanced Home is no slouch for driving them, either.

Clearaudio Master Innovation TT / Koetsu Onyx Platinum cart / Graham Phantom Supreme arm > Bob's Devices Sky 40 SUT > Rogue Ares Magnum phono > Rogue Hera II preamp > Headroom Maxxed Balanced Home amp > HD650

EybvEpK.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #39,817 of 46,514
Well most balanced amps DO use 4 pin XLR for desktop sized amps. You kind of answered your own question as DAPs obviously can't use a 4pin XLR connector so they have to use TRRS.

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #39,818 of 46,514
Sep 9, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #39,819 of 46,514
All but one of those links have the appropriate cable. All the others that do use XLR. I don't want XLR and the one site that has the correct cable is charging too much.
Can you do some basic soldering? It might be cheaper to just build your own balanced cable with the 2.5mm TRRS jack. The Eidolic 2.5mm TRRS is $11 from Double-Helix and you can find Cardas HD6XX jacks for $10/pair, add some Mogami cable and a 1.4m cable could be built for under $30, granted it might not look the best but its functional. One thing you might want to consider is to get a 2.5mm TRRS to 4-pin XLR female then you can get other balanced cables that have 4-piin XLR jacks to what ever headphone you are using instead of trying to always find the 2.5mm TRRS jack to headphone jack combo since it might be harder to find.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #39,820 of 46,514
Venture Electronic has great (and cheap) adapters from XLR to whatever you need. They'll be up and running again as soon as they're done with the MD order.

After playing around with a lot of balanced headphones/IEM's/DAPs and amplifiers the last year I'd definitely go with XLR termination with anything except IEM's and just put on the proper adapter on for all my different sources. This way you will only need one good cable that fits your headphones.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #39,822 of 46,514
All but one of those links have the appropriate cable. All the others that do use XLR. I don't want XLR and the one site that has the correct cable is charging too much.
Most of the cable makers in the links should be able to make what you need if it is not listed. Have you contacted any of them about your needs ?

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #39,823 of 46,514
Wow I'm amazed at how inactive so many popular threads have become since they went to the new format (website).
Agree, I've notice that anytime a headphone that goes on sale the thread for that headphone gets active for a few months with many new owners and then slows down or its a new product that is a good value. Seen this with the HE400i, HE560, Hugo2, M1060 and some of the newer DAPs. This thread will probably pick up when the HD6XX starts shipping in Dec

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #39,824 of 46,514
In the 10+ years that I've owned my HD650s, there hasn't been a dull moment. Granted, there are days when my ears are fatigued, but for the most part, I wouldn't get rid of them unless I had to buy a new pair, and I would in a heartbeat. Using the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost 4490 really opened up what I hadn't experienced before with the HD650, and I'm sure they'll scale nicely once my setup evolves in the future. It's such a comfortable headphone once they're broken in, and I just lose track of time listening to music with them. I would be sad if Sennheiser had done away with them at a certain point, but if they could continue the design into a newer model, perhaps a lighter structure that had a similar sound signature at the same price point, I'd jump on it...

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #39,825 of 46,514
Just bought a second hand set of HD 650 which should arrive in a few days. My main set at the moment are my HE 400I and while I'm confident they will remain this way I've always been so curious to try the HD 650 based mostly on hype and to rule out that there isnt anything better than the HE 400i to me in this price range. I'll be running them on my desktop or s8 plus with a FIIO A5 amp which has more than enough guts to drive my HE 400S AND HE400I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back