Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #39,722 of 46,514
I heard a PS500 and 1000 and they were too U shaped for me. I really liked my buddies Symphones Magnum and actually the Koss KSC-35.
do you remember if they were the latest "e" series, it makes all the difference in the world, also if they were stock or not since the mods make a noticeable difference that anyone that has average hearing will notice.

Same with the Magnums, need to know the version of the driver since they have changed from the V6 to V7 and now V8. The V6 was good (about the same as the HD600) but the V7 took it to another level and I have yet to hear the V8. I'd take the V7 over a HD600 any day even at the higher price to build a V7 headphone and the Nhoord Red V2 over the HD650 if I didn't have the BH Crack.

Aug 26, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #39,724 of 46,514
do you remember if they were the latest "e" series, it makes all the difference in the world, also if they were stock or not since the mods make a noticeable difference that anyone that has average hearing will notice.

Same with the Magnums, need to know the version of the driver since they have changed from the V6 to V7 and now V8. The V6 was good (about the same as the HD600) but the V7 took it to another level and I have yet to hear the V8. I'd take the V7 over a HD600 any day even at the higher price to build a V7 headphone and the Nhoord Red V2 over the HD650 if I didn't have the BH Crack.
I'm pretty sure the PS500 and 1000 were "e" series as they were dealer headphones. I'm not sure on the Magnums, probably V6, could have been V7. I'll definitely check out the Nhoord and see about the V8.
The headphones I regret selling the most, maybe i should get another pair?
If you had an old "veiled" version you'll be really impressed with the new HD650. It's a diamond in the rough.

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #39,726 of 46,514
Today I did the coin mod (removed the foam behind the drivers and cut a hole in the foam on the earside matching the center of the drivers) to my HD650, so far I think I like it more than stock. Clarity and air is better and overall sound is less wolly if that makes sense. Not a night and day difference but still easily noticeable, haven't really found any downsides yet.

Listening to Katie Melua - Secret Symphony right now and I'm really enjoying it.

Using the LH Labs Geek Out V2+ and balanced cable, really wouldn't need any other amp/dac than this imo.

I know it's bad taste to quote oneself but here we go:
I went one step further and added Dynamat on the back of the drivers as suggested other places and I'm now very satisfied with the result. More air, better clarity, less wooly sound and tighter bass.

My only regret now is that I don't have a stock pair to compare them with ha ha.

@DavidA I think you're going to have a lot of fun when you get those HD6XX eventually.

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #39,727 of 46,514
If these headphone would have more upfront vocals, they would've been my endgame

What headphones would you consider having more forward vocals if you don't mind me asking?

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #39,729 of 46,514
What headphones would you consider having more forward vocals if you don't mind me asking?
Philips Fidelio L2, Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads, Hifiman HE-400i without EQ (but I HAD to EQ the highs down, and with the highs EQ'ed down, the vocals were more recessed than the HD 650), Audio Technica AD1000x (they're very bass lean though), JVC HA-S400, Creative Aurvana Live (sound artificial though, compared to the more expensive headphones)

The Philips Fidelio L2 and DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads resemble the sound of the HD 650 the most, in the sense that they're well balanced, but the HD 650 is a step up in timbre ofcourse.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #39,730 of 46,514
@peter123, how much dynamat and which guide did you follow, one has a lot of dynamat all over and the other has dynamat only in specific areas from what I've seen so far
I'm always puzzled by people doing mods without even a cheap mic to measure stuff when symmetry might be an issue. it's really easy to create some imbalance depending on what we stick inside the headphone.
I plan to fool around with some sorbothane soon, I've delayed that too much because I try to follow the order of my todo list, and summer is summer, but I'm almost there.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #39,731 of 46,514
I'm always puzzled by people doing mods without even a cheap mic to measure stuff when symmetry might be an issue. it's really easy to create some imbalance depending on what we stick inside the headphone.
I plan to fool around with some sorbothane soon, I've delayed that too much because I try to follow the order of my todo list, and summer is summer, but I'm almost there.

I use a small weight for all modding to make sure that I use the same amount of material everywhere.

I also think that if you don't hear any imbalance then what's there to be conserned about.......

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #39,732 of 46,514
Philips Fidelio L2, Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads, Hifiman HE-400i without EQ (but I HAD to EQ the highs down, and with the highs EQ'ed down, the vocals were more recessed than the HD 650), Audio Technica AD1000x (they're very bass lean though), JVC HA-S400, Creative Aurvana Live (sound artificial though, compared to the more expensive headphones)

The Philips Fidelio L2 and DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads resemble the sound of the HD 650 the most, in the sense that they're well balanced, but the HD 650 is a step up in timbre ofcourse.

Thanks for clarifying, it does indeed seem as we hear things differently, what's new :wink:

I've only heard the L2 and HE400i of those and I wouldn't say that either has a more forward, let alone better, midrange presentation than the HD650. So as always (and obviously) YMMV.

I do think that the HE400i is a better all-round headphone than the HD650 though (the L2 I didn't care for).

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #39,733 of 46,514
I've never noticed any imbalance with dynamat in cups since I usually cut one long strip and divide it in to two equal lengths and try my best to install them in a similar fashion, but I haven't tried with the HD650 yet and it presents some unique challenges with the various structures that you want to install the dynamat on.

Same with sorbothane, about getting the size as close as possible and then scoring them as similar as I can, this I a little easier to work with since aside from the HE400 where there were 21 individual pieces per cup it was a bit more challenging to space them out evenly.

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #39,735 of 46,514
I haven't heard a modded HD650 but colour me strange because I happen to like the way my phones sound just the way they are.

So did I for 5 years but then curiosity got the better of me.

My only regret was not modding it sooner.

You'll always be satisfied with what you have in this hobby until your hear something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back