Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #39,736 of 46,527
Can anybody comment or give any impressions about the HD650 in regard to its speed? Seriously considering getting some, but I worry that they'll be a bit sluggish in the bass for things like fast drum blasting etc. I previously owned the DT880 600 Ohm and was quite happy with its clarity and speed, but didn't like it tonally, so comparison to that would be really valuable.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #39,737 of 46,527
Can anybody comment or give any impressions about the HD650 in regard to its speed? Seriously considering getting some, but I worry that they'll be a bit sluggish in the bass for things like fast drum blasting etc. I previously owned the DT880 600 Ohm and was quite happy with its clarity and speed, but didn't like it tonally, so comparison to that would be really valuable.
The 650s have good bass good bass quantity, but it's quite slow. I can't compare to the 600 ohm 880s, but the DT1990s and T1.2s both have much faster bass. Other than that, I really like the 650s.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #39,738 of 46,527
The 650s have good bass good bass quantity, but it's quite slow. I can't compare to the 600 ohm 880s, but the DT1990s and T1.2s both have much faster bass. Other than that, I really like the 650s.

Agreed, the DT 1990, Amiron Home(most similar to the HD 650 of the Teslas), and the T1.2 are all much faster in the bass, especially the T1. I've always liked the HD 650 especially in terms of tonality, scalability, and transparency, but it's not really ideal for faster and/or more complicated bass passages or honestly hyper music in general. It's not bad at it, but I can tell it's one of it's weak spots.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #39,739 of 46,527
Disappointing to hear but I appreciate the input, guys. Would either of you be able to say the HD 600 is better in this regard or is it similar?

I suppose I should paint a better picture of what I'm after. I want an open circumaural headphone for less than $500AU that not only has the sound I'm after, but great comfort and good build quality. DT880 had the latter two and I did like its sound mostly but I found it a bit too bright as well as being a bit too thin and dry sounding. I'm guessing that asking for DT880 performance but without the tonal shortcomings would be too much to ask from my price range.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #39,740 of 46,527
I feel HD650 can have the speed given the right DAC and amp. You need a very neutral DAC and a SS amp such as the Jotunheim or Neurochrome HP-1. Dynamat and the "coin mod" will improve bass performance and clarity.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #39,741 of 46,527
Disappointing to hear but I appreciate the input, guys. Would either of you be able to say the HD 600 is better in this regard or is it similar?

I suppose I should paint a better picture of what I'm after. I want an open circumaural headphone for less than $500AU that not only has the sound I'm after, but great comfort and good build quality. DT880 had the latter two and I did like its sound mostly but I found it a bit too bright as well as being a bit too thin and dry sounding. I'm guessing that asking for DT880 performance but without the tonal shortcomings would be too much to ask from my price range.

Try the HE400i, not as smooth as the HD650 but not thin like the DT880 either, currently on sale for $250 at many dealers. Another headphone would be a DIY build using a Nhoord Red V2 driver but it might get up to your limit depending on cups and if you can find a cheap donor grado for the headband, rod blocks and gimbals or you can go with a little bling like this:
Nhoord-R2-1.jpg
Almost all who have heard them like them better than the HD650, smooth and full sounding, faster bass than the HD650 and also goes lower, no mid bass hump, easy to drive so no amp required.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #39,743 of 46,527

I wouldn't say the HD 650 is slow compared to the DT 880, compared to the Tesla Beyers and the HD 800, yes it's a little slow but it does hold up. The HD 600 is about the same as the HD 650 speed wise, though I do recall it being a bit slower but that could of been just my HD 600 vs HD 650. The biggest difference you will likely experience is the leading edge on the HD 650 is a bit blunted compared to the DT 880 but it is much fuller sounding, same with the HD 600, so it won't seem as snappy which is what I feel hurts it more for hyper music than speed and certain systems and even different cables do help with this aspect of the HD 650, a well synergized HD 650 can handle any genre fine. There are few headphones that sound more substantial and fuller than the HD 600/650. The HD 600 has a bit stronger leading edge and I found it does handle energetic genres a little better because of it, even if it may be a little slower than the HD 650.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #39,745 of 46,527
What is slow, how can headphones be slow? I understand wooly or veiled or rolled off, but slow? Does that mean a 5:00 track turns into 5:30 when you listen to 'slow' headphones?
I'd say if the track is at 5:00 then the HD650 is at 5:02, its not that slow, LOL :ksc75smile:

Kidding aside my take is when presented with complex musical passages the HD650 at times can't keep up with music, my definition of "slow".
A better term might be: congested, muddy, or woolly

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #39,747 of 46,527
I really think i am going to sell mine. I just never reach for them. With the th-x00 purplehearts and the k7xx, i just have not listened to them in some time. I dont know. It just seems i have to force myself to listen to them. Its not like i dont like them. I do, i just never listen to them.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #39,748 of 46,527
Ah I see. Yes there were instances when the HD650 sound wooly or congested, I can't replicate that issue with good amps however (LaFigaro 339, AudioGD something I can't remember).
While a good amp will help (BH Crack with updated caps and better tubes for me) its still not going to get to the level of a HE560 or similar planar but then I don't know if I'd like the HD650 if it had those traits. I think one should select a headphone to match the genre of music that they like: HD800 or similar for classical lovers, HD650 for smooth jazz, classic rock or pop, HE560 for EDM, trance, and opera. Its why I have a variety of headphones but sometimes it nice to hear classical on a HD650 for an intimate presentation versus the more sitting in the front row with the HD800.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #39,749 of 46,527
I really think i am going to sell mine. I just never reach for them. With the th-x00 purplehearts and the k7xx, i just have not listened to them in some time. I dont know. It just seems i have to force myself to listen to them. Its not like i dont like them. I do, i just never listen to them.
It's fine to sell them I think if you don't use them. The money can go somewhere else like a tubes if you have a tube amp, or just pool it up for the next upgrade.
Or buy bread. Food is important too.
I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that people love and rave so much and prefer more than other speakers, but I don't use them much compared to my floorstanders. I only have 2 pairs however so I won't sell them.

While a good amp will help (BH Crack with updated caps and better tubes for me) its still not going to get to the level of a HE560 or similar planar but then I don't know if I'd like the HD650 if it had those traits. I think one should select a headphone to match the genre of music that they like: HD800 or similar for classical lovers, HD650 for smooth jazz, classic rock or pop, HE560 for EDM, trance, and opera. Its why I have a variety of headphones but sometimes it nice to hear classical on a HD650 for an intimate presentation versus the more sitting in the front row with the HD800.
Different driver technologies will sound different, so I'm not surprised.
HD800 sounds distant to me however. More like a middle row or back row, with an orchestra stage as wide as the hall. And they all are playing at the same volume. And you'll hear when one clarinet made a mistake while the guy next to him glares at him for the mistake. And some audience whispering. I think its too resolving while at the same time too distant.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #39,750 of 46,527
I feel HD650 can have the speed given the right DAC and amp. You need a very neutral DAC and a SS amp such as the Jotunheim or Neurochrome HP-1. Dynamat and the "coin mod" will improve bass performance and clarity.

Well I'm running a NFB15.32 which should definitely be enough in the amp department to have it perform optimally. It puts out 300mW at 300 Ohms and is rated for 10V RMS. I think it is considered to be a warm sounding unit owing to the DAC, I would consider replacing it with a NFB11.28 which is supposed to be more neutral and analytical sounding. That may compliment the 650 nicely and give the sound I'm after...

I do have a store in my city where I can audition the HD650 so when I have the money I'll have to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back