Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #38,791 of 46,514
This is VEILED...
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #38,797 of 46,514
to get the Eyrie sound that hd650 users like so much, you need to get into the Vale.

#spellingking

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #38,799 of 46,514
  Okay, so now it's either my system's fault, my hearing damage, or my other's headphones fault that the HD650 has an audible veil. 

Still cannot just be the HD650 itself... Okay.

I have another hypothesis on this... maybe it's cause my ears are dirty... I'll go clean them with a q-tip.

deadhorse.gif

Look, I apologize if you think I was beating you up over your choice in amp.  I'm sure its a fine amp..... for Audeze headphones.  Maybe you you just found some poor synergy, which is what I think.  Trust your ears, I do...

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #38,800 of 46,514

Look, I apologize if you think I was beating you up over your choice in amp.  I'm sure its a fine amp..... for Audeze headphones.  Maybe you you just found some poor synergy, which is what I think.  Trust your ears, I do...

​I would agree with the possibility of "poor synergy" causing the "veil" for that individual but it could also be how we all hear differently and the same sound can be "veiled" to one and not to another.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #38,802 of 46,514

​I would agree with the possibility of "poor synergy" causing the "veil" for that individual but it could also be how we all hear differently and the same sound can be "veiled" to one and not to another.

..Or "veiled" in comparison to other headphones. I think this has more relevance as we all compare the sound to other headphones on here - we don't have Plato's "headphone" on hand :)

With that in mind I still stand by the argument that "objectively" or "subjectively" there is no veil. Only a treble that is not etched or peaky. A veil by definition would implicate that the sound was not clear. The sound of the HD650 is very clear! Clearer in the mids with more resolution than its newer brother HD700! And that headphone doesn't get hammered for being veiled! You know why? Because it has etched treble. 

Our differing hearing will always cause us to have different opinions on sound quality of course. But if we are to get anywhere then the majority should decide... And the majority don't think the HD650 are veiled. 

All my opinion of course, as I don't believe in "facts" :D      

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #38,803 of 46,514
  ..Or "veiled" in comparison to other headphones. I think this has more relevance as we all compare the sound to other headphones on here - we don't have Plato's "headphone" on hand :)

With that in mind I still stand by the argument that "objectively" or "subjectively" there is no veil. Only a treble that is not etched or peaky. A veil by definition would implicate that the sound was not clear. The sound of the HD650 is very clear! Clearer in the mids with more resolution than its newer brother HD700! And that headphone doesn't get hammered for being veiled! You know why? Because it has etched treble. 

Our differing hearing will always cause us to have different opinions on sound quality of course. But if we are to get anywhere then the majority should decide... And the majority don't think the HD650 are veiled. 

All my opinion of course, as I don't believe in "facts" :D      

​To me the HD700 is clearer in the mids than the HD650, but its recessed a bit and the highs are not etched, just peaks that will irritate some and be no problem for others.  The HD650 is a touch rolled of in the highs and also has a touch more grain than the HD700 which is what I think gives the impression of being "veiled" to some, and add the mid bass bump which can be muddy depending on the audio chain used.  As always YMMV and this is based on my HD650/HD700, DACs and amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back