Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #38,611 of 46,514
  stock, they are basically a Chinese knock off LCD-3F.  Modded, they get an amazing clarity but have excellent bass and tonality rarely seen in other headphones.  I'd take them over my HE-6 and HD650 if I could only have one headphone.  

Wait...what?!
Thats a pretty bold statement!
What is it about it that you find is better than a HE6,and how are you amping your HE6?

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #38,612 of 46,514
I say that because the HE-6 can get fatiguing with the amount of time I spend using headphones.  I currently use either Gumby->Freya->Jot or Gumby->Zana Deux.  <-This is the most surprising and amazing combo.  Going by the numbers anyone would say it should sound like ****.  Well, my ears and grin tell me differently.  

I also usually listen at low volumes so bass is the first thing to go, (Fletcher-Munson Curve)  HE-6 sound their best at ~80dBSPL or higher.  

I usually listen at ~70dBSPL.  

The modded M1060 is quite the headphone.  A very pleasing frequency response, with a touch of extra bass and treble.  It's basically a super HD650 with it's sound.  My only critiques are build quality, in general (mine have been absolutely fine), lack of clarity or impact (think slower attack, or overall driver excursion), and comfort (the headband can make a hotspot on your head, but is much improved with Vegan pads).

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #38,613 of 46,514
  I'm using a Steinburg UR22 for a DAC (I don't really believe DACs need to be complicated), into an Elemental Watson with GE JAN5654W tubes, snagged an aftermarket cable because the stock is too damn long. 

Like, I want to get the Elears, but as I sit here listening to Black Math Horseman, I feel like I've hit my peak.

While I enjoyed listening to the Elears, I wouldn't call them a "super HD650" or even necessarily a superior headphone.  They are more lively, and will give you more bass.  But that's a different flavor and not necessarily an elevated music listening experience

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #38,614 of 46,514
  After looping all over the world, I'm pretty close to calling this my endgame now. I want to go higher up the ladder, but man...

The thing is, if you can't think of anything that the sound is missing or you want more of. Then that is as good as it gets! 

Problem is.. when we keep reading about other stuff with words such as "better". Where do you go from a HD650 if you are already very happy with them?? People used to recommend the LCD2 when it came out as the logical upgrade. Wrong. It had narrow soundstage and dull treble - lovely bass but terrible with complex music. People then flocked to the HD800. Wrong. It is nothing like the HD650 on any level. Better? Only if you are after a completely different sound world. Then the HD700 came out  - people had been dreaming about this headphone for a very long time. Described as a bridge between the HD650 and HD800 Again it sounded nothing like the HD650. Better? Again only if you wanted a completely different sound world. None of the Hifiman offerings that I've heard are better at what the HD650 does. Nothing from AKG, Beyer or Audio technica come close either. So we are left with the HD800s... Which I've not heard. But read obsessively about. It sounds to me like it is still the HD800 with more warmth, so this to me does not sound like a natural upgrade or better HD650. Not if you enjoy flat mids, warmth and top treble roll off in a cosy stereo speaker-like presentation.   

Enjoy  
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #38,615 of 46,514
  The thing is, if you can't think of anything that the sound is missing or you want more of. Then that is as good as it gets! 

Problem is.. when we keep reading about other stuff with words such as "better". Where do you go from a HD650 if you are already very happy with them?? People used to recommend the LCD2 when it came out as the logical upgrade. Wrong. It had narrow soundstage and dull treble - lovely bass but terrible with complex music. People then flocked to the HD800. Wrong. It is nothing like the HD650 on any level. Better? Only if you are after a completely different sound world. Then the HD700 came out  - people had been dreaming about this headphone for a very long time. Described as a bridge between the HD650 and HD800 Again it sounded nothing like the HD650. Better? Again only if you wanted a completely different sound world. None of the Hifiman offerings that I've heard are better at what the HD650 does. Nothing from AKG, Beyer or Audio technica come close either. So we are left with the HD800s... Which I've not heard. But read obsessively about. It sounds to me like it is still the HD800 with more warmth, so this to me does not sound like a natural upgrade or better HD650. Not if you enjoy flat mids, warmth and top treble roll off in a cosy stereo speaker-like presentation.   

Enjoy  
beerchug.gif

This is an excellent post. At the end of the day, better is very much an opinion.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #38,616 of 46,514

Enjoy  
beerchug.gif

Great post and I agree with 99% of it.  The only part of the HD650 that I felt could use a little improvement was the dynamics which I have found with the Ypsilon driver.

One of the reason I have different headphones is that each has its own strengths and weaknesses but if you only want one headphone then its hard to find better than the HD650 as a jack of all trades.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #38,618 of 46,514
Can you guys direct me to a few IEMs that sound almost like the HD650? I mean soundsig wise (bass/mids/treble). My budget is below 1800 USD.

My Senn IE8 sound very close. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #38,623 of 46,514
a quick search after you told that lead me to many other memberss posts stating the same too..thank you..did you ever try the ie800 out?

I haven't no. Had the IE8's since they came out, tried a few others including Westone 3 but none had the soundstage that the senns have. They've lasted me 6 year! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back