Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #35,222 of 46,553
  If/when I crave soundstage and imaging, I go to floor speakers. Not HPs.
cool.gif

+1

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #35,223 of 46,553

1. The Demo (audition) is everything.
2. After #1, the only opinion that matters is your own.

cheers

I disagree with #1.

In my experience, you have to live with a set of 'phones to really know if you like them or not. My initial impression of the HD-650 was not great and if I'd just heard them at a meet or in a store, I wouldn't be on this thread.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #35,224 of 46,553

1. The Demo (audition) is everything.
2. After #1, the only opinion that matters is your own.

cheers

I disagree with #1.

In my experience, you have to live with a set of 'phones to really know if you like them or not. My initial impression of the HD-650 was not great and if I'd just heard them at a meet or in a store, I wouldn't be on this thread.

For 99% of us, its not possible to "LIVE" with a set of headphones.  Lets be realistic here.  An audition is usually the best we can do, and sometimes there isn't even any place to demo them.  All the headphones I actually purchased was non-auditioned and I ended up enjoying them based of general consensus and realistic expectations. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #35,225 of 46,553

I disagree with #1.

That is true, despite not always being possible to live with a headphone. I had the opposite feeling with the HD 650, liked it a lot initially but eventually grew bored of it, but it did take me a lot longer to grow bored of it than most headphones. Actually that's how most headphones are for me, very few have actually made me like them long term.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #35,226 of 46,553
Is anyone able to compare the upper mids and lower treble of the 650 to the lcd2, hd700, campfire Andromeda or 64 audio u8? Thinking of getting this to replace my lcd2 (heavy) and wondering if I will find the upper mids recessed in comparision (as some describe the 650 as velied) .

I owned a 2016 LCD-2 earlier this year for about a month alongside my 650.

The upper mids/lower treble of the LCD-2 is recessed and the treble kind on wonky in comparison to the 650. Listening to some female vocals or violins makes this apparent.

No veil at all with the 650 if you pair it with the proper gear, doesn't even have to be expensive gear, just the right gear.

Your M&M will suffice for now. Depending on budget, you could upgrade towards many different paths. If you want to stay on the cheaper side, I would grab a Mimby and Vali 2. If you want a cheap tube look at the Philips PCC88 ($40) or GE Jan 5670W with an adapter. ($25)

When somebody says there is a veil, most of the time it is a bad pairing, like trying to use an O2 or Fiio or something with the 650, or the person is used to a boosted treble response like a Beyer or Akg.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #35,227 of 46,553
I disssagree...

the can has no choice but to live WITH me...

Yield...submit to my cajole...manipulation...n yanking...

Then stay in the coldroom for aslongasIplease :grin:

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #35,228 of 46,553
I'm currently considering purchasing these "classics". My first proper full size HP purchase were the TH-X00's but I sold them because I was not overly impressed... Too cumbersome for me, I expected a decent soundstage which I didn't get and being in Australia they build up heat very easily, way too hot to deal with.

I also felt they lacked detail compared to my SE846's so I didn't see much point in keeping them. I currently own the HD800's which are the polar opposite. Amazing detail and clarity, light and comfortable with an incredible soundstage. But. Again I find myself resorting to the SE846's because the HD800's sound like rubbish with about 70% of my music... Too harsh, not very musical and lacking bass.

I've been looking into the Elear's but I'm not sure if I want to spend a lot of money again. People refer to them as a super hd650. Now I'm curious if people think they might be worth 4x what the hd650's cost. If it's only a marginal improvement then I don't see the point really.

TL;DR

Will the hd650 impress an SE846 owner? I listen to all genres of music especially EDM/hip-hop, that's why I love my Shure's so much as they sound great with everything. I want some full size HP's with some actual soundstage and at least some bass, and for them to be detailed and musical at the same time. To anyone who's tried the Elear's and HD650's... How much better are they?

Thanks guys!

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #35,229 of 46,553
  What's the ULTIMATE end-game amp for 600/650? Cost no-limit.....

Zana Deux? GS-X Mk2? Liquid Carbon?

Liquid Carbon is fine with planars but not ideal with dynamics like HD650, nowhere near "ultimate end-game amp" though. GS-X MKII is build great but it sounds like ****. I'm not surprised that people who consider it the best of the best also praise the HD800. Haven't heard the ZD so can't comment on that one.  

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #35,230 of 46,553

I disagree with #1.

It's better than nothing. Too many buy HPs and other gear blind without any demo. Unfortunate but true.

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #35,231 of 46,553
I'm currently considering purchasing these "classics". My first proper full size HP purchase were the TH-X00's but I sold them because I was not overly impressed... Too cumbersome for me, I expected a decent soundstage which I didn't get and being in Australia they build up heat very easily, way too hot to deal with.

I also felt they lacked detail compared to my SE846's so I didn't see much point in keeping them. I currently own the HD800's which are the polar opposite. Amazing detail and clarity, light and comfortable with an incredible soundstage. But. Again I find myself resorting to the SE846's because the HD800's sound like rubbish with about 70% of my music... Too harsh, not very musical and lacking bass.

I've been looking into the Elear's but I'm not sure if I want to spend a lot of money again. People refer to them as a super hd650. Now I'm curious if people think they might be worth 4x what the hd650's cost. If it's only a marginal improvement then I don't see the point really.

TL;DR

Will the hd650 impress an SE846 owner? I listen to all genres of music especially EDM/hip-hop, that's why I love my Shure's so much as they sound great with everything. I want some full size HP's with some actual soundstage and at least some bass, and for them to be detailed and musical at the same time. To anyone who's tried the Elear's and HD650's... How much better are they?

Thanks guys!

If you want detail and bass try HE560.

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #35,232 of 46,553

It's better than nothing. Too many buy HPs and other gear blind without any demo. Unfortunate but true.

Unfortunately there are many that can't demo/audition gear, in Hawaii there is no where to audition even mid-fi gear much less TOTL, haven't even had a meet but I have gotten together with 2 other Head-fier's one on one.  I've been very lucky to have a few friends who have great gear and have gotten to hear them but much of what I got starting out was by reading reviews and taking a chance.

As for living with a headphone to get to know them I partly agree with this but there have been times when with the first listen its either good or bad.  The only headphone that I didn't keep for more than 2 weeks is the Fidelio X2, returned with time frame to Amazon since it was so close to the X1.

@cthomas, you went from one extreme to the other with the TH-X00 to HD-800.  The HD-800 is much more difficult to drive properly and if your source files are not well mastered or recorded the HD-800 will reveal all the flaws as I suspect you have found.  Since your preferred genre's are EDM and Hip-hop I would look at the HE-560 as suggested by @CanadianMaestro but also remember that its not the easiest to drive properly, meaning if you think they lack bass then they are not being driven properly.

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #35,233 of 46,553

As for living with a headphone to get to know them I partly agree with this but there have been times when with the first listen its either good or bad. 

+1.  I suspect most people will know whether an HP is a good musical "fit" for them even after an hour of listening. Based on their musical genres etc. For me, it's usually pretty obvious whether I will like an HP or not, after just a few test tracks of really well-rec'd music.

My advice: Just let the music flow, don't try to overanalyse the SQ of an HP. Heck, only you know your own preferences with your own music, so use that to full advantage. If it sounds right to you, makes your head sway, go for it. (and no, I don't believe in HP "burn-in" for hundreds of hours. Amps yes).

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #35,234 of 46,553
Imo:: The 800 bests the 650's in bass quality and quantity, macro-dynamics, overall soundstage and imaging (the 650's scaling in this area is huge though... soundstaging just gets better and better). The 800's are also tuned differently in general... Much less warmth than the 650's, and also more treble emphasis.

They are IMO complementary headphones; 800's excelling at classical and related compositional music, whereas the 650's are all-rounders, perhaps better suited for guitar/vocals/rock.

Also, the 800's ability to express the quality of the chain feeding them is arguably unparalleled. This is something some people consider crazy and unique to the 800's... Sure, other headphones sound better with better gear, but the 800's can expose nearly any/every flaw in the chain. With the wrong gear, the 650's will perhaps sound veiled, or boring. The 800's may sound sharp/clinical/bloated/thick/thin/etc, and there is a 99% chance it's due to the gear being used with them.

Owning the 800's without the proper gear is like having a race car sitting in your gravel driveway.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Also, with regards to the best TOTL pairing for the 650's, Gumby and ZD works well, in the "magical/immersive/one of a kind experience" way. I would love to hear Yggy and the Eddie Current Studio feeding them, just to hear how they sound being fed from such a precise chain. Also, it's my opinion that stock 650's are at best 80% of the experience you get after the mods. They are a must for the 650 experience.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #35,235 of 46,553
Imo:: The 800 bests the 650's in bass quality and quantity, macro-dynamics, overall soundstage and imaging (the 650's scaling in this area is huge though... soundstaging just gets better and better). The 800's are also tuned differently in general... Much less warmth than the 650's, and also more treble emphasis.

They are IMO complementary headphones; 800's excelling at classical and related compositional music, whereas the 650's are all-rounders, perhaps better suited for guitar/vocals/rock.

Also, the 800's ability to express the quality of the chain feeding them is arguably unparalleled. This is something some people consider crazy and unique to the 800's... Sure, other headphones sound better with better gear, but the 800's can expose nearly any/every flaw in the chain. With the wrong gear, the 650's will perhaps sound veiled, or boring. The 800's may sound sharp/clinical/bloated/thick/thin/etc, and there is a 99% chance it's due to the gear being used with them.

Owning the 800's without the proper gear is like having a race car sitting in your gravel driveway.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Also, with regards to the best TOTL pairing for the 650's, Gumby and ZD works well, in the "magical/immersive/one of a kind experience" way. I would love to hear Yggy and the Eddie Current Studio feeding them, just to hear how they sound being fed from such a precise chain. Also, it's my opinion that stock 650's are at best 80% of the experience you get after the mods. They are a must for the 650 experience.

+1, HD-650 and HD-800 make a great pair of complementary headphones and also agree that if the HD-650 sounds "veiled" or boring or the HD-800 is too bright or thin then its a very good chance that the gear up stream is not a good match but there is still some personal traits and hearing ability that could also play a role.

+1.  I suspect most people will know whether an HP is a good musical "fit" for them even after an hour of listening. Based on their musical genres etc. For me, it's usually pretty obvious whether I will like an HP or not, after just a few test tracks of really well-rec'd music.

My advice: Just let the music flow, don't try to overanalyse the SQ of an HP. Heck, only you know your own preferences with your own music, so use that to full advantage. If it sounds right to you, makes your head sway, go for it. (and no, I don't believe in HP "burn-in" for hundreds of hours. Amps yes).

While I will not fully believe in amp burn-in since I've yet to hear it, with headphones I can believe it but it could be a freak one-off thing: my EL8 went from dark/warm to warm after about 50 hours and continued to change and finally end up warm/neutral after about 200+ hours.  Only reason I really noticed this was my HD-650 had about 300+ hours on it and my GF and I kept comparing them so we both noticed the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back