Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #32,476 of 46,499
  I'm selling my 650. Cardas balanced cable included.
Ad is on CAM. Let's see how long it lasts there.

Just not using it enough these days.

Are you willing to sell just the cable?

Kjas
  I haven't heard the Virtuoso so I can't comment on it.  If it was me, I would get the 4490 Bifrost (currently have uber and MB, thinking of upgrading uber to 4490), either Lyr2, H-10 or even a liquid carbon if you can find one.  Since you already have the BH Crack for your HD-650 I'm thinking you wanted to go to a planar sound with the LCD-2/3, something different than what you currently have?  While I love the warm sound from the LCD-2f its fairly similar to the HD-650 and is more of a side grade to me, I would look at something with a different sound signature, like HE-560/400i, HD-800/700 or if you like a little bass then a TH-600/X00.

Actually this deal was quite interesting, prices are in AUD. once again i have never heard any of these headphones, maybe i should just book out an audition for the whole day? lol

Kjas.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #32,477 of 46,499
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #32,478 of 46,499

Really?

Yup, Magnepan 1.6, KEF Ref 103.3 and TYR Rauna.  the Magnepans are like the HD-800/T1, KEF like HD-650/LCD-2 and the TYR are the K7XX/HD-700.

Actually this deal was quite interesting, prices are in AUD. once again i have never heard any of these headphones, maybe i should just book out an audition for the whole day? lol

Kjas.

If you can audition that's the best way to go

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #32,479 of 46,499
  I'm with you, using my speakers much more these days, everyone can listen at once and I think my speakers sound better than most of my headphones.

Even flagship, summit-fi headphones see their limits when compared to a modest speaker set-up.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #32,481 of 46,499
  How much $$ is modest?

Cost of my speakers which I think are modest:
Magenpan 1.6 - $1800 back in 2005? (I had MG-1 in 1978, $700)
KEF Ref 103.3 - $1870 back in 1984
Rauna TYR - $250 back in 1980
My pre-amps/amps: SAE-P102 ($250 in 1981), Nakamichi CA-7 ($1200 in 1983), Mark Levinson ML-20 ($2300 in 1991), HK Citation XX ($2000 in 1986), SAE-X10A ($300 in 1984), really old stuff, but still good, see my profile for the rest.
Note that the prices are what I paid (to the best of my memory) and the dates are estimates to the best of my knowledge, killed too many brain cells with wine, vodka and beer to be exact.

PS: sitting on my lanai and enjoying my really old Stax SRD-34 with Teac AH-01 amp, similar sound to HD-650 but with bass like a HE-400, mids like HD-650 and highs like HE-560.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #32,483 of 46,499
  FWIW, I'd listen to speakers over headphones any day. Unfortunately my current situation disallows that.

Bummer
frown.gif
 ,​ I still use my headphones for listening, maybe 35% of the time, like out on my lanai now.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #32,485 of 46,499
  wow...most of your speakers are older than i am, probably worth more too, lol.

I'm a old guy, retired from work in Feb 2014 @ 53, my GF will be 45 this year but she looks way younger, have a few pics of her in my profile.  I like to think of fine wine, better with age

As for the speakers, I think they made them better back then, google them to see what they look like, you might be surprised.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #32,486 of 46,499
Wow..Congrats on your retirement! I had a look at your inventory, too bad i suck at golf :frowning2:

I couldnt help but notice you sold your Wa7d

What did you think of the Was7d/LCD2 F combo in comparison with HD650 crack/speedball, as the former is my endgame and most probable near future purchase.

Was it worth it? Any stellar similar combos you can suggest?

Cheers.

Komal

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #32,487 of 46,499
@platinumbird the WA7d was a disappointment to me, I know now that the DAC section was probably the problem but I was just getting in to headphones back then.  Many on these thread put me in the direction of the Ember and Lyr2 for amps that could drive almost any headphone properly and they have not disappointed.  The Ember is one of the most versatile amps due to the adjustable output resistance/impedance and ability to roll many different families of tubes, so it will work quite well with HD-650 to LCD-2 to even Grados.  The Lyr2 is more of the brut force amp and will drive almost anything but you will need to have a few variety of tubes to match different headphones, warm tubes for overly bright headphones and bright tubes for warm ones but changing tubes is much cheaper than a bunch of amps.

If you are looking at the LCD-2f as an upgrade to the HD-650 you might be disappointed, its more of a side grade with better bass to me.  I would be looking for a different sound signature from the HD-650, more like having the right tool for the job thinking.  If you like classical then the HD-800/HE-560/T-1 would be on my short list, it you like bass then TH-600/X00, for movies and games I use a HD-700 since its easy to drive and has a wide sound stage and is fairly dynamic for movie sound tracks, if the HD-700 is too bright then the SRH-1840 is a much smoother headphone with a good sound stage.  Going to the other side you might want to try a Grado (I love the RS2e) or Beyer (like my DT-990 and works great with the BH Crack, fun sounding) or even build a SennGrado, interesting headphone but a little hit or miss, the Senn PX-100ii drivers are not the most consistent but even a average one is pretty good, you can also tune it to suit your preference.

Good luck

David A

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #32,488 of 46,499
Thanks for your input David.

When i first started my foray into headphones in these forums, i stumbled upon the MS1000 (modded Alessandro Ms-1) and since building this headphone its changed my perspective on music in general. 

I listen to mostly hip hop/rap but love my classical and rock/alternative also. Despise Country.  

I've called ahead, the store said they were sold out of LCD-2f but had HD800 with the Wa7 so ill ask them to keep HD-800/560/t1 out for me. I have been eyeing the hd700 (its on sale) but thought after HD800S is released i might as well buy a used HD800 as they should be plenty going around.

I'ts just really hard to know what my end -game will be because I've never tried a Stax 009 setup, or even heard the LCD3, but i completely agree with you in regards to the sound signature.  The way I see it is that I dont mind spending alot of money if i know it will sound good, especially in australia where these components have a premium on them.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #32,489 of 46,499
Komal, l like your way of thinking, I've been really lucky that I have a friend who is very rich and have been able to listen to so much of the summit-fi stuff that he has, but in the end I noted that yes I can hear a difference if I really try but I almost never listen that way so what's the point, it takes the fun out of listening to music.  Granted I went nuts when I started with headphones but it was just as I was retiring and had a $40k bonus so I went crazy.  I've had the SR-009 from Nov of last year, a gift from my friend as he has another newer one, only listened to it for a month before I had to send the SM-007 unit back, still waiting for it, will have to wait until my friend visits again hopefully in Apr.  Its a great headphone but its not something that I would listen to every day, not as musical as the HD-650 to me, in some ways its like the HD-800, too perfect.  If you understand wine, the HD-800/SR-009 are like a Opus One, perfect but boring, something like a Ornelaia, Almaviva or Cain Five would be my choice, not quite as perfect but with lots of character.
As for the HD-700, it gets more use than almost all my other headphones, only the HD-650 gets more use.

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #32,490 of 46,499
Just upgraded my asgard 2 to the soloist sl mk2... first impressions are quite positive!

Good morning Cuiter23!

I know this is the HD-650 thread, so would you mind PM'ing me your thoughts on the ASGARD2 vs the UDA-1 & Burson Soloist SL MK2? I've been considering both as upgrades to myASGARD2, but I am having a difficult time choosing between them. In fact, I'm not sure that either will sound appreciably better than the ASGARD2, so when I saw you had all 3, I knew that you were the right person to ask!

PS: I am extremely happy with the performance of my iFi iDSD as DAC, so I am only considering the amp section of the UDA-1 against the Soloist MK2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back