Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #32,162 of 46,565
  Hi there, a proud HD650 owner here. I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask this question since many of you probably don't bother with low-end cans. What's your recommendations for a cheap closed-back full-sized can with the HD650's sound sig? An even darker sig (more rolled-off treble? I'm very treble sensitive) with good isolation would be nice. I have the HD650 for home use and PX100ii for portable use, but I need another pair to use at work. My budget is $100.

Many thanks.

(and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.)

Try senn momentum 1.0 or senn urbanite.

Agree, you describe the Senn Momentum V1 Over Ears perfectly except for the budget. But since the V2s came out you can find them used on ebay very cheap. I bought mine new and still love them, they are very sensitive work very well with low power portables.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #32,163 of 46,565

Agree, you describe the Senn Momentum V1 Over Ears perfectly except for the budget. But since the V2s came out you can find them used on ebay very cheap. I bought mine new and still love them, they are very sensitive work very well with low power portables.

Thats why i recomend them, yeah they used to be quite above 100$. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #32,165 of 46,565
  Thats why i recomend them, yeah they used to be quite above 100$. 

Original retail of $349.00 in 2013 and very highly reviewed by all at that time. Only complaint was the ear cups were too small for the fatheads.  LOL   So Senn revised them a year later with some bigger cups.  V1s are a steal at today's prices.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #32,166 of 46,565
It is. In some ways it is actually better. It doesn't look as bad in person, but it is very ugly!

Yeah, I want a pair. They are 'business-like'.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #32,168 of 46,565
I'm told the DT150 is somewhat similar, if you can deal with the looks. It's on my shortlist.

I used to see people on the TV wearing these in studios and I wanted some, so retro ugly, then I found out what they were and how good they were and the desire grew.
Then I discovered how much they cost (!) and decided to stick with what I've got.

I did pick up a pair of "Realistic Nova Pro HI-FI Stereo Headphones" for a few bucks for the retro ugly part, but they are SO bad, absolutely vile sounding and nasty plastic - hard to imagine folks paid $40 for these back in the 70s, even the covering on the cushions is like it's cut from builders plastic sheet.

mmfe9EzxRIezRKlsi4ueLSQ.jpg

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #32,170 of 46,565
  is there a reason you guys prefer the momentum 1 over 2? does it sound better? or is it the same just cheaper?

Not a preference, personally I never heard the V2s. It is just the money thing, I don't think there's a better value out there since the prices fell.
There's like 3 on ebay right now for just over a hundred bucks.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #32,171 of 46,565
I'm told the DT150 is somewhat similar, if you can deal with the looks. It's on my shortlist.

I don't know the DT150s are so much ugly as just VERY DIRT CHEAP looking.  Rough black plastic castings held together
with phillips screws.
Compared to the Momentums beautiful leather and stainless steel it's embarrassing.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #32,173 of 46,565
I don't know the DT150s are so much ugly as just VERY DIRT CHEAP looking.  Rough black plastic castings held together
with phillips screws.
Compared to the Momentums beautiful leather and stainless steel it's embarrassing.

Yet sonically they obliterate the momentums.

They are not that bad in person, and they are built for duribilty not ascetics.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #32,174 of 46,565
Yet sonically they obliterate the momentums.

They are not that bad in person, and they are built for duribilty not ascetics.

Heard a pair of DT-150 at a music shop in my area, they are good but they don't "obliterate" momentums, but this is a mater of taste.  I like the sound signature of the momentum for what it is, very compact and stylish, easy to drive from phone or portable DAP.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #32,175 of 46,565
Heard a pair of DT-150 at a music shop in my area, they are good but they don't "obliterate" momentums, but this is a mater of taste.  I like the sound signature of the momentum for what it is, very compact and stylish, easy to drive from phone or portable DAP.

That's your opinion, I stated mine.

Did you hear them amped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back