Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #32,146 of 46,514
  It's perhaps worth remembering that the Steven Wilson remixes are exactly that - remixes. If he does it well (and in my opinion he does) it's a lot better than just a (relatively) simple remaster.

I'm not sure on Steven's Yes releases but many of his recent stuff like the Tull stuff he actually refers to as de-masters. Meaning he has gone back to the original tape and just done a flat master removing all the messin around some of the other "engineers" had done, a flat transfer. A approach that is becoming popular with a number of producer in recent times and one which I very much applaud. Now if we could only get the labels to quit insisting on squashing all the dynamics out of modern recordings.  :frowning2:
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/sw-remixes-for-jethro-tulls-aqualung-and-benefit-available-digitally/
As for the early Yes albums. IMHO I find my very early CD releases sound more than good enough that I wouldn't spend any additional money to replace then with anything else.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #32,150 of 46,514

That really says something about the 650 when you prefer them to the Audeze's, considering the price difference. I had that reaction to them too. I mean they sound amazing, but they're sort of cold and calculating. I was recently at an audio shop testing out the LCD2 and LCD3 using a $4500 MacIntosh amp. The sound was amazingly 'clean'. You could even say it was almost 'perfect' sounding, but I just didn't find them engaging. I'm having a similar reaction to the 400i after quite a few hours of listening... maybe I just don't like planars. 

It's kind of funny, I've had the 650s for about 4 years as my primary phone. Then I picked up the 400i a few weeks ago and I loved them at first and had convinced myself that they're better than the 650 but now after going back to the Senns a bit today I remembered what I love about them. They have such a lush and balanced sound. 

Feel the same about the new fazor version, its very clean and precise, even when adding tube distortions in it xD Somehow the senn offer something different which makes come back to them. That´s why i have both. 

Though i couldn´t find a cooler HP for fast electronic music like trance then the audeze, there is a huge difference between the two. Speed indeed matters! 

But for vocals or slow passed rythmic music, the 650 has its own cards. Yeah

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #32,151 of 46,514
Hi there, a proud HD650 owner here. I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask this question since many of you probably don't bother with low-end cans. What's your recommendations for a cheap closed-back full-sized can with the HD650's sound sig? An even darker sig (more rolled-off treble? I'm very treble sensitive) with good isolation would be nice. I have the HD650 for home use and PX100ii for portable use, but I need another pair to use at work. My budget is $100.

Many thanks.

(and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.)

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #32,152 of 46,514
  Hi there, a proud HD650 owner here. I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask this question since many of you probably don't bother with low-end cans. What's your recommendations for a cheap closed-back full-sized can with the HD650's sound sig? An even darker sig (more rolled-off treble? I'm very treble sensitive) with good isolation would be nice. I have the HD650 for home use and PX100ii for portable use, but I need another pair to use at work. My budget is $100.

Many thanks.

i'd recommend the brainwavz hm5, I know that different headphones can sound different to different people, but i feel like they are very comfy and kinda have a neutral with a bit of warmth sound like the 650s...though like always its best to try before you buy, so it might be one to consider. i always use my 650hd at home, but i like the hm5 for portable use because its super comfy, easy to drive and sounds good. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #32,153 of 46,514

Many thanks.

I like my Sony MDR-1R. Warmish glow. It's my mobile HP on some occasions. Easily driven by iPod Classic.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #32,155 of 46,514

Many thanks.

I'm told the DT150 is somewhat similar, if you can deal with the looks. It's on my shortlist.

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #32,157 of 46,514
  how long did y'alls ear pads on the 650hd last before you had to replace them? how long do they last on average?

I'm sometimes concerned about the way the phones are stored. The popular U shaped stand puts constant pressure on the pads and is sure to flatten them in short order.
The hanger type stand puts constant pressure on the headband pad and is sure to flatten it in short order.
I replaced the headpad with a HD 600 which has the gap in the foam in the very center of pad and allows it to be hung on any narrow hanger style without ever putting pressure on any foam.
Had my 650s about a year now and all padding is still like new.

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #32,158 of 46,514
  I'm sometimes concerned about the way the phones are stored. The popular U shaped stand puts constant pressure on the pads and is sure to flatten them in short order.
The hanger type stand puts constant pressure on the headband pad and is sure to flatten it in short order.
I replaced the headpad with a HD 600 which has the gap in the foam in the very center of pad and allows it to be hung on any narrow hanger style without ever putting pressure on any foam.
Had my 650s about a year now and all padding is still like new.

Or storing in the original box helps a lot too, but a stand like the last one is efective too. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #32,160 of 46,514

Many thanks.

Vmoda M80 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back