Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #32,086 of 46,499
Yes, had the HE-500 and HE-560.

I don't see a reality where the HD650 beats the HE-500. I wonder if my HD650 are defective.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #32,087 of 46,499
I don't see a reality where the HD650 beats the HE-500. I wonder if my HD650 are defective.

Probably nothing wrong with yours, there's just something about the 650's that I really like. I don't claim the 650's are technically "better" but just make the music the most enjoyable. Other than the HE-1000 and Stax 009, I've had almost all the flagships through my system at one time or another. A few years back I actually brought home the HE-500 and the LCD-2.2 on the same day. Ended up keeping the LCD2.2 for my main phone a couple years then had the LCD-3 for a year before going back to the 650 a little over a year ago.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #32,088 of 46,499
In 2016, there are headphones that objectively measure better, and also subjectively sound better than the HD650s.

I think we can all agree that there is a very special characteristic to the HD650 which makes them so desirable. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #32,089 of 46,499

Exactly. 

If you use JRMC, since Sonarworks offers a free trial, I highly recommend giving it a try. It's easy to take back out of the audio path when you want to listen to any of your other 'phones.

I'm trying it now Doug. So far I'm impressed but I've only been listening for a few tracks & it's Sunday morning. So far I think I like it. It's not hugely different to the PEQ I was using (a collaboration between myself & Solderdude), maybe a tad smoother. Possibly.

Did you buy it or are you evaluating also?

And thanks for the heads-up. I do enjoy experimenting with EQ.

I see Sonarworks are selling calibrated HD 650's for €363. That's not a bad deal for a specifically tuned headphone.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #32,091 of 46,499
@Solrighal nice!

beyersmile.png

Sunny here in the Netherlands too... the good people of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" send their greetings to Norah Jones through some JBL Model 4312 speakers. Too dusty everywhere to take pictures of them and the wonderful APPJ PA09091A driving them, sadly. I'm not decided yet whether this sounds better, or the HD650's being driven by the ODAC/cMoyBB combo sound better.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #32,093 of 46,499

There is nothing wrong with your HD 650. I agree with you too but then in respect to the higher end models of Hifiman. But I don't agree with their pricing however.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #32,094 of 46,499
I can get a decent deal on a used Epiphany Accoustics EHP-02..I'm wondering if it would be a noticable upgrade from my Essence ST (doubt it). However it would be a noticeable upgrade for my laptop...which I havae been using my HD 600 with without any amp/dac (the horror!)... 

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #32,095 of 46,499
When I was looking for my first pair of good quality headphones I eagerly auditioned the 650's because of all of the great things I've read about them. As it turned out I was massively underwhelmed, not to mention disappointed. I ended up loving the HE500 and bought a lightly used pair. Then about a year later I had an opportunity to listen to the 650's at a meet on several different amps. I don't know maybe that pair was well broken in or the original audition had a crummy amp but I left there wanting a pair of 650's. A few months later I bought me a pair and they are a terrific complimentary headphone to my HE500's. I can't ever see myself parting with either headphone.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #32,096 of 46,499
When I was looking for my first pair of good quality headphones I eagerly auditioned the 650's because of all of the great things I've read about them. As it turned out I was massively underwhelmed, not to mention disappointed. I ended up loving the HE500 and bought a lightly used pair. Then about a year later I had an opportunity to listen to the 650's at a meet on several different amps. I don't know maybe that pair was well broken in or the original audition had a crummy amp but I left there wanting a pair of 650's. A few months later I bought me a pair and they are a terrific complimentary headphone to my HE500's. I can't ever see myself parting with either headphone.

Weird...yeah, HE-500 and HD650 are my two main headphones.

Quick question for anyone using HD650 with the Garage 1217 Project Polaris - what settings do you use? Gain and output impedance are the ones I'm wondering about most.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #32,097 of 46,499

This started out as a tale of woe, but turned into a happy ending.

I love stories with happy endings. :) 

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #32,098 of 46,499
 HD650 with the Garage 1217 Project Polaris - what settings do you use? Gain and output impedance are the ones I'm wondering about most.

I use whatever combo sounds best for the music I happen to be listening to at the time.

Out-Z is usually on mid or low. G is whatever gets me about 12 o'clock on the volume comfortably.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #32,099 of 46,499

I'm trying it now Doug. So far I'm impressed but I've only been listening for a few tracks & it's Sunday morning. So far I think I like it. It's not hugely different to the PEQ I was using (a collaboration between myself & Solderdude), maybe a tad smoother. Possibly.

Did you buy it or are you evaluating also?

And thanks for the heads-up. I do enjoy experimenting with EQ.

I see Sonarworks are selling calibrated HD 650's for €363. That's not a bad deal for a specifically tuned headphone.
beerchug.gif

I've now had much more time to get to know this software. I'm buying it!

The bottom end now hits quite a bit harder and still doesn't impinge on the mids. I think the top end is just that wee bit cleaner, emphasized just a bit over stock. It's pretty much the same at the top as I'd managed myself with JRMC's built-in EQ but the bottom end is better than I managed. I'm actually not too sure why that is but it's a done deal for me. Cheers for the heads-up @DougD

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

One more thing though - I have it on pretty good authority that G1217 analogue filters may appear before the year's out. In the same open frame chassis as their amps too. Drool..

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #32,100 of 46,499

I've now had much more time to get to know this software. I'm buying it!

The bottom end now hits quite a bit harder and still doesn't impinge on the mids. I think the top end is just that wee bit cleaner, emphasized just a bit over stock. It's pretty much the same at the top as I'd managed myself with JRMC's built-in EQ but the bottom end is better than I managed. I'm actually not too sure why that is but it's a done deal for me. Cheers for the heads-up @DougD

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

One more thing though - I have it on pretty good authority that G1217 analogue filters may appear before the year's out. In the same open frame chassis as their amps too. Drool..

Can you run Tidal through these other software audio programs? I wouldn't mind being able to EQ some things in Tidal, especially if I'm listening to an entire album on repeat while I'm writing. I have Fidelia, but I never use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back