Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #29,897 of 46,514
I can confirm that everything that is said about the 6AS7 Gec tubes are true.....this is one helluva tube to say the least....they deserve all of the accolades that they receive.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #29,898 of 46,514
  I can confirm that everything that is said about the 6AS7 Gec tubes are true.....this is one helluva tube to say the least....they deserve all of the accolades that they receive.

Cool, glad you're enjoying them... at $500/pair that's part of the reason why I was happy to stop rolling with the WA2. Have you tried the WE-421A's? I have only heard the GEC's at meets, and loved their refined, intricate sound. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #29,901 of 46,514

Don't they sound kind of funny with a couple tubes missin?  
confused.gif
  LOL
No offense, I love tubes, ran a set of VTL Monoblocks in my system for 20 years. But when I look at that kit it seems like there's enough there to drive a pair of large speakers.
Enjoy that awesome amp.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #29,902 of 46,514

Cool, glad you're enjoying them... at $500/pair that's part of the reason why I was happy to stop rolling with the WA2. Have you tried the WE-421A's? I have only heard the GEC's at meets, and loved their refined, intricate sound. 

I have both sets and they are are both great tubes. With my WA3, I agree with your description (i.e. refined, intricate sound) for the GEC. It took me some time to love the GECs; don't know if this was burn-in or "brain-in", but the sound became richer after about 100 hours of listening.

That said, the WE421a has better detail and more control of the lower end; the tonal quality of the WE421a is still unmatched, in my limit experience.

To keep on topic: I find I really like the sound signature of the WE421a + more clinical driver tubes (e.g. Siemens or Telefunken) with the HD-650. Good synergy with that combination. I've been spending a lot of time, lately, listening to the HD-700 and am really enjoying the GEC + warmer driver tubes (e.g. Philips or Amperex).

After reading the lengthy tube rolling threads for 6922 tubes, I purchased some 6N23p REFLECTOR Single-Wire, Silver Shield '74 tubes from a recommended source. Looking forward to hearing if these tubes live up to their reputation.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #29,903 of 46,514
Thank you for reminding me about the HD650 virtues!. I kept them inside the box when I bought the LCD-2 two years ago, and never used them again. Not because I didn't like them but because I "had to" use the most recent and expensive purchase.
rolleyes.gif

Sine the leather of the LCD-2 is now decaying like leprous skin, This will be a good time to use the HD650 again.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #29,904 of 46,514
  Thank you for reminding me about the HD650 virtues!. I kept them inside the box when I bought the LCD-2 two years ago, and never used them again. Not because I didn't like them but because I "had to" use the most recent and expensive purchase.
rolleyes.gif

Sine the leather of the LCD-2 is now decaying like leprous skin, This will be a good time to use the HD650 again.

popcorn.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #29,905 of 46,514
Scroll down on this page:
http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_015.htm

"Aggressive" curve (left) is rolled off earlier in the highs, I think. "Mellow" is less rolled off at 10-30KHz.
Methinks these terms refer to the degree of roll-off in the treble, not the final sound. As in "aggressive" rolloff, vs. less rolloff ("mellow").  A bit hairy...

I guess somebody at G1217 must be a treblehead!  :eek:  

Sorry, yes, you are right. It refers to the amount of roll off when you alter the bandwidth.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #29,906 of 46,514

Yeah, they are pretty costly, although I did not pay $500 for them.  They are definitely all that I have heard about them....no doubt they check all the boxes for me.

No I have not tried the WE-421A tubes yet....but look forward to it sometime

I wonder how much each of those tubes cost and how they glow in the dark?
How is the performance of the HD650 on those?

The performance with the HD650 is very, very nice, to say the least.
The 650 and an OTL amp is a very good match.

Cool, glad you're enjoying them... at $500/pair that's part of the reason why I was happy to stop rolling....

Yikes. That kind of dough buys a lot of good music....

Yes, sir....you sure can 
tongue.gif

Don't they sound kind of funny with a couple tubes missin?  
confused.gif
  LOL
No offense, I love tubes, ran a set of VTL Monoblocks in my system for 20 years. But when I look at that kit it seems like there's enough there to drive a pair of large speakers.
Enjoy that awesome amp.

Ha ha....the couple of tube sockets with no tubes in them are for a pair of C3g driver tubes....you can use one 6/12/25 volt SN7 tubes for a driver....or you can use a pair of C3g's as your driver tubes......but you can not have both in at the same time.

No, this kit will not drive speakers, this is for my headphones only...unfortunately speakers are not an option for me anymore.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #29,907 of 46,514
Sorry, yes, you are right. It refers to the amount of roll off when you alter the bandwidth.

No worries, it took me quite some wrangling to figure out the terminology on those graphs.  At first I thought the labels were reversed. 
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #29,908 of 46,514
  Thank you for reminding me about the HD650 virtues!. I kept them inside the box when I bought the LCD-2 two years ago, and never used them again.

Are you daft? 
biggrin.gif

Seriously...once you get acclimated to your 650 with a decent amp driving it, you will sell your LCD.

I did. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back