Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #28,591 of 46,499
The songs and lyrics are sublime for decompressing late night after a long day's work, when in a melancholy mood, etc. imho.
cool.gif

So's 2 fingers of 103 moonshine and a few hits off a big fatty.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #28,593 of 46,499
Sep 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #28,596 of 46,499

Hi! I'm new to head fi. I'm also very new to high quality headphones. I have been doing a bit of research, and I like what I've seen from the hd650 and hd600. I am wondering if these headphones are good to use in public, and if they work well with a MacBook even without an amp. I plan on buying an amp as well once I find the right pair of cans for me, but I still would like to know what the sound quality will be like without one.

They'll sound fine from a Macbook. Not good for use in public.

Don't get sucked into the hype over headphone amps. A lot of the hype you'll see here on head-fi, imo, is at least as much gadget fetish as it is about sound.Get the headphones you like first, then determine whether you need an amp. When deciding, be sure to level match (the volume) as well as your circumstances allow for a fair comparison.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #28,597 of 46,499
  Dang it's getting rough hear tonight.

Heh, sorry mate. Just feeding the trolls, I need "2 fingers of 103 moonshine and a few hits off a big fatty." 
wink_face.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #28,598 of 46,499
For mobile in a hotel room or at my Toronto place, I recently used a Sony MDR-1R. It sounds a LOT like the 650 -- a touch of that superb warmth, very forgiving. Just closed-back and very light and comfy. Easy to drive out of my iPod Classic 160GB.

imho.

Since you mentioned this model, I'll look into it and see if it is a better match in comparison to the m50x and the momentum 2.0. Thanks a lot!

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #28,599 of 46,499

Sue Abbuehl's "The Gift" is full of quiet, jazz ballads perfect for late-night (on speakers too!).

I'd prefer The Orb - Metallic Spheres  with guitar God David Gilmour

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #28,601 of 46,499
Since you mentioned this model, I'll look into it and see if it is a better match in comparison to the m50x and the momentum 2.0. Thanks a lot!

Ordered MDR-1R from Canada Computers earlier this year, on sale. If you're in Canada.....

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1106&item_id=062474

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #28,602 of 46,499
Not a great choice on either count. HD 650 has high input impedance and low sensitivity so they won't play very loud without a good amp. Also since they are open back phones they let in all the outside noise and just aren't good choices for use in public.  
In the Sennheiser family a Momentum over the ear phone would be a much better choice, A sealed phone to keep out outside noise and high sensitivity/low impedance allows them to play fairly loud with low amp power. Since the Version 2s were released you can steal a v1 for around $200 brand new on ebay.
I own both and have good experience with both when used as I recommended.

Is there any difference in sound quality between the 1.0 and 2.0? If so, what kind of difference?

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #28,603 of 46,499

Ordered MDR-1R from Canada Computers earlier this year, on sale. If you're in Canada.....

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1106&item_id=062474

They can be a great little resource - watch 'em for Boxing Day stuff 
beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #28,604 of 46,499
  They'll sound fine from a Macbook. Not good for use in public.

Don't get sucked into the hype over headphone amps. A lot of the hype you'll see here on head-fi, imo, is at least as much gadget fetish as it is about sound.Get the headphones you like first, then determine whether you need an amp. When deciding, be sure to level match (the volume) as well as your circumstances allow for a fair comparison.

I would say that some over hype headphone amps but after hearing a HD-650 driven by an Audio GD Master 7 and Eddie Current Balancing Act I would have to say that some of the hype is justified.  I have a BH Crack which many would consider a fairly good amp for the HD-650 but after hearing them with my friends system its going to be hard going back to the BH Crack.

Also may want to try a MDR-1A.  For me I like the Momentum on-ear, the fabric does not get as hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back