Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #28,576 of 46,499
Quote:Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As to Cowboy Junkies,
I have the original Trinity CD bought back in the day when it was first released. Amazing sounding recording
both in tone and imaging. I use it as a equipment reference and demo disc but that's about it for me. I have no
interest in the music, boring IMHO, so no interest in spending more $ money for the Revisited.

The songs and lyrics are sublime for decompressing late night after a long day's work, when in a melancholy mood, etc. imho.
:cool:

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #28,577 of 46,499
  And it still sounded veiled? Maybe with "Death Gripes" or whatever your favourite band was. Have you still got that McIntosh? You traded it for a Dragonfly??
Your post history is telling. And can you link where I said that?

Again you are bringing up my post history and my favorite band as if somehow that has anything to do with 650 vs any other headphones.  Tell me what band is ok to like?

No I don't own the McIntosh. Since you are going on about me owning a dragonfly I see you own several Fiio products. Last time I checked these were not Summit Fi so we can safely disregard anything you will ever say from this point on.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #28,578 of 46,499
Again you are bringing up my post history and my favorite band as if somehow that has anything to do with 650 vs any other headphones.  Tell me what band is ok to like?

No I don't own the McIntosh. Since you are going on about me owning a dragonfly I see you own several Fiio products. Last time I checked these were not Summit Fi so we can safely disregard anything you will ever say from this point on.

Musical enjoyment does not always carry a steep price tag, but often, that is the case, since quality comes from R & D, which costs money to achieve. That cost is often absorbed by the consumer.

Since when was Summit Fi the standard- bearer for all that's great in HPs?

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #28,579 of 46,499

Fiio Summit-Fi? Again, link please? It seems by your 2004 tenure and the post you made about liking the Dragonfly over the Asgard 2 etc makes me think it's your primary chain. Disregard away, just drop the "we".

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #28,580 of 46,499
Musical enjoyment does not always carry a steep price tag, but often, that is the case, since quality comes from R & D, which costs money to achieve. That cost is often absorbed by the consumer.

Since when was Summit Fi the standard- bearer for all that's great in HPs?

It doesn't he called me "dragonfly" since I own one implying the fact that I own a portable DAC invalidates my opinions. He also owns several Fiio products none of which are top end, so I am following what he said to its logical conclusion.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #28,581 of 46,499
Sep 6, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #28,582 of 46,499
Hi! I'm new to head fi. I'm also very new to high quality headphones. I have been doing a bit of research, and I like what I've seen from the hd650 and hd600. I am wondering if these headphones are good to use in public, and if they work well with a MacBook even without an amp. I plan on buying an amp as well once I find the right pair of cans for me, but I still would like to know what the sound quality will be like without one.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #28,583 of 46,499
Hi! I'm new to head fi. I'm also very new to high quality headphones. I have been doing a bit of research, and I like what I've seen from the hd650 and hd600. I am wondering if these headphones are good to use in public, and if they work well with a MacBook even without an amp. I plan on buying an amp as well once I find the right pair of cans for me, but I still would like to know what the sound quality will be like without one.

These headphones are generally not good for public use because they leak sound both in and out making them often hard to hear in noisy environments and disturbing others in quieter places. But...they are one of the more "special" that you'll find anywhere IMO. Great to start off this crazy journey with and they do in fact scale considerably with better amps. 

They won't quite sound like poo-poo from a phone. Maybe kaa-kaa, but definitely not poo-poo. 
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #28,584 of 46,499
  Hmmmmmm....

With that (your words) 10-year-old LD with the nasty distortion in the right channel and the 580's you claim are failing I'm just skeptical of your assessment of the 650 with the Dragonfly or it's scalability or veil.

I am not using the Little Dot. I specifically bought the Asgard 2 because of the issues with the Little Dot which I am debating if I should try and tube swap or just buy a new amp. I have also owned a lot more amps then the LD/Asgard. Notice in my sig it says I have sold more then I own.

I tossed my old 580 drivers in the trash after I bought a new pair of 580s off of ebay.

Again my post history is irrelevant to the discussion. No doubt the 650 scales well but it does not have some magical fairy dust ability to scale with gear that every other headphone lacks.

You can shift the goal posts and dig through my post history if you like, by all means dig all the way back to 2004 I am flattered. I won't do the same with you because I don't care about your post history.

There is no logical reason to say the 650 can scale immensely well and the 580/600 cannot when they have such a similar sound signature.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #28,585 of 46,499
These headphones are generally not good for public use because they leak sound both in and out making them often hard to hear in noisy environments and disturbing others in quieter places. But...they are one of the more "special" that you'll find anywhere IMO. Great to start off this crazy journey with and they do in fact scale considerably with better amps. 

They won't quite sound like poo-poo from a phone. Maybe kaa-kaa, but definitely not poo-poo. :p

Thank you for the reply. Since these aren't great for use in public, would you say it is preferable to have this for home use primarily and a separate pair of closed over ears for mobile use? I've also considered getting the ath m50x or momentum 2.0 for mobile use, while purchasing the hd650 for home use.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #28,586 of 46,499
Thank you for the reply. Since these aren't great for use in public, would you say it is preferable to have this for home use primarily and a separate pair of closed over ears for mobile use? I've also considered getting the ath m50x or momentum 2.0 for mobile use, while purchasing the hd650 for home use.

That is the goal. I brought my old 595s to work once and I was so paranoid about them leaking volume I had to keep them super low. Closed for outside the home, open for home.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #28,587 of 46,499
 I've also considered getting the ath m50x or momentum 2.0 for mobile use, while purchasing the hd650 for home use.

For mobile in a hotel room or at my Toronto place, I recently used a Sony MDR-1R. It sounds a LOT like the 650 -- a touch of that superb warmth, very forgiving. Just closed-back and very light and comfy. Easy to drive out of my iPod Classic 160GB.
 imho.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #28,588 of 46,499

Not a great choice on either count. HD 650 has high input impedance and low sensitivity so they won't play very loud without a good amp. Also since they are open back phones they let in all the outside noise and just aren't good choices for use in public.  
In the Sennheiser family a Momentum over the ear phone would be a much better choice, A sealed phone to keep out outside noise and high sensitivity/low impedance allows them to play fairly loud with low amp power. Since the Version 2s were released you can steal a v1 for around $200 brand new on ebay.
I own both and have good experience with both when used as I recommended.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #28,589 of 46,499

I bought the Momentum 2 for portable use and couldn't be happier with them. I use them several times a week. AND...they do not sound like poo-poo from my phone. In fact they sound very good from my HTC. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #28,590 of 46,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back