Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #28,471 of 46,499
  I would say it leaks about 75%, maybe more, not all open headphones leak the same amount but most are 50% or more.

Remember these answers can be deceiving, others aren't going to have their ears pressed right against the back of your phones.  Put your current phones on and play at normal volume, then take them off and move away the distance of the person your afraid of disturbing. Levels drop rapidly with distance.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #28,472 of 46,499
  Remember these answers can be deceiving, others aren't going to have their ears pressed right against the back of your phones.  Put your current phones on and play at normal volume, then take them off and move away the distance of the person your afraid of disturbing. Levels drop rapidly with distance.

I understand what you are saying, I had my GF listen from about the same distance on the outside of the ear cup and we approximated how different the volume was, that is why I said "about".  Also, the amount someone around you will hear is very dependent on the angle they are from the headphone, if directly in front or back there is very little sound while directly to the side will give the highest level.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #28,474 of 46,499
Hey all, I have been drooling all over the 650's ever since I heard them, although I have yest to get a pair, sadly.

Anyway, I just bought an iPhone 6. Has anyone used the 650 straight out of the iP6?

Would this be a good pairing?

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #28,475 of 46,499
  Hey all, I have been drooling all over the 650's ever since I heard them, although I have yest to get a pair, sadly.

Anyway, I just bought an iPhone 6. Has anyone used the 650 straight out of the iP6?

Thanks!

If you don't listen your music ear-shattering loud, then no problem. I've been using it straight from iP6. Sounds nice, just not so loud.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #28,476 of 46,499

If you don't listen your music ear-shattering loud, then no problem. I've been using it straight from iP6. Sounds nice, just not so loud.

Thanks for your input, good to know info! 

EDIT: Does anyone know if there is to be a sale price on these (from an authorized/reputable dealer) for labor day? Where is the best place to purchase these online?

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #28,477 of 46,499

Thanks!

You'll hear your music alright but it's very far from an ideal pairing. As a stop-gap before getting a separate amp it'll work OK though. Look at the Fiio E12 if portability is essential, otherwise look for a good OTL tube amp.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #28,479 of 46,499
  Hi im new to Head-Fi, can anyone tell me if the HD650 since it's an open headphone leaks the same volume that the user is listening too?

I would say it's not as bad as people say. I am using it at work currently (open office and I work as a part of a group and sit close to my colleagues) and people tell me they do not hear the music I am listening, let alone being bothered by it. As long as you are not listening at full volumes, you will be alright.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #28,480 of 46,499

Thanks!

Sounds OK to me, from an iPod Classic 7G, just not loud on some tracks. iPhone-4/6 is decent too, but an amp, as you know, will work wonders for 650.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #28,481 of 46,499
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
When you hear someone else's headphones it sounds like a mosquito buzzing. It's annoying no matter how quiet it is.

Amen! 

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #28,482 of 46,499

Thanks for your input, good to know info! 

EDIT: Does anyone know if there is to be a sale price on these (from an authorized/reputable dealer) for labor day? Where is the best place to purchase these online?

Labor Day sales usually aren't that great. The best prices will tend to be around November-December with Black Friday and pre-Christmas sales and I believe at that point last year they could be had on Amazon in the $300-325 range. I got mine in December last year for $288 delivered from an ebay vendor who claimed to be an authorized dealer, though I didn't bother to verify that. Razor Dog used to have consistently good prices on Sennheisers but it looks like they don't carry the brand anymore.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #28,483 of 46,499
For portable use which amp will work better with the HD 650, Fiio E12 or JDS Labs 02?

The JDS Labs O2 isn't very portable.  I read on a review here that it is more transportable than portable.  It can run on 2x 9V batteries but it would be kind of big in a pocket.  The Fiio E12 is meant for portability and isn't much bigger than a cell phone.  If you're just looking to move it between the house and the office I think the O2 wins, but if you want to use it on the go you'll want the E12.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #28,484 of 46,499

No, in short.

The HD-650 is my favorite headphone, but one of its shortcomings is it doesn't scale linearly, with respect to power/volume. In particular, IMO, it's a poor choice for low-level listening and a corollary of that is the 650 doesn't sound great when underpowered, which it will be straight out of an iPhone 6 headphone jack.

My advice: (a) stick with the HD-598 it looks like you have from your avatar (I have these cans and they sound pretty darned good right out of a phone) or (b) get a portable amp for the HD-650s. I recommend the FiiO E12 for this task.

Sorry about your wallet... 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back