Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #28,366 of 46,499
I really need to stop reading this thread for a while, all this talk about LCD's and Stax and I want to go to my storage and dig up my Stax SRD-41 and LCD-2 along with SAE-X10A amp I was using for the Stax
tongue.gif
I've had my Stax SRD-41 from back in 1982 or 83, still one of the most unique sounding headphones I've heard.  Had to modify the cups a little to install new ear pads as the original Stax pads are $60 + $19.95 shipping.  Another Head-fier that heard them couldn't stop listening to them and this was when we were listening to HD-800/700/650, T1, LCD-2, TH-600, Alpha Primes, RS2e, and a few others.
I think at this rate my friends table will look like this in a few weeks:

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #28,368 of 46,499
The hd650 continues to be the one headphone that I've been faithful to. I have always been impressed with how much better the 650 sounds on higher end gear. Recently I picked up some new upstream gear. The Gungnir MB and the Questyle cma800r ( I bought the amp almost exclusively for the hd800 ). The amp does sound good with the hd800 and with the Ether, but the biggest improvement of the new gear shows up best on the lowly hd650.

I've always loved the 650 for the tonality especially in the mids with voices and instruments. But now the pleasant enjoyment that is the hd650 has taken over my headtime over much more expensive headphones. The detail and timber coming from the 650 is just intoxicating.  I have to make myself stop getting lost in the music and take moments to listen for specific areas of improvement. I think that the Gungnir MB is giving all this extra detail. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #28,369 of 46,499
  The filter is not for the polaris as such it is for the 650 to smooth out the frequency responce.  Frans (the designerof the Ember-polaris) has designed several headphone filters that are going between the source and the amp, the filters for the 650 are described here............https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/....this is one member that has tried the filter with the 650's observation.....What I am finding to my great enjoyment, is I don't need to turn it up anymore to hear all the details and ambient cues etc. the vocals are so clear with only the silibance that was on the master recording. I am hearing lyrics clearly that have always seemed smeared and difficult to understand. The veil is gone and the highs are just right. But turn it up too much and that sub-bass will rattle your jaws and start to cause problems in upper frequencies. Adjust it as you suggested Ian, mids first then minor adjustments for sub-bass and treble and you can listen for hours with no fatigue or risk to your hearing.

most of the job on the hd650 is IMO to deal with the low midrange.  the EQ Zorro( AKA Solrighal AKA Highlander AKA Gordon^_^) showed is a little massive for my taste(didn't bought a hd650 for nothing), but has the benefit of being an obvious way to "lift the veil". and most of the job in the lower midrange is what makes all the difference. I use a smaller gain value (and actually make a total mess of the mids) but the idea is always the same. deal with the 200-800hz until you feel the sound has the right balance of warmth and detail. for most people that will be all they need.

now a hardware filter can make a lot of sense to use with CD or SACD player as the source, but if the music source is the computer, then it makes little sense IMO not to use a nice little parametric software EQ(some EQ are crap HW or SF, but many are much better than the guy using them
biggrin.gif
).

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #28,370 of 46,499
100% agree. I've brought this up before and was ostracized by the Audeze fan boys.
To me, the dynamic drivers have much better resolution than any planars I've heard. I own LCD-3 fazors and the 650's hands down kick their ass with micro detailing.

I've been comparing the Stax to the 650's, and the Stax has an ability to create a very intimate sound. I had convinced myself they had decent resolution, then went back to the 650 Zana Deux combo last night and heard everything I was missing. I can at least live with the Stax, but whenever the LCD's come back from their second repair job, they'll be back up for sale.
Agreed, I'll give props to the he-560 & the k-712 is highly underrated imo.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #28,371 of 46,499
A wall of sound, exactly how id describe the LCD-3's. Actually mine was, "sitting directly beside two large speakers". It can be very immersive, but I have yet to really enjoy it much. Worked well for a couple of genres, along with the planar speed. I enjoy estats quite a bit... Definitely ethereal sounding, can be very airy, but they are differrnt experience that I can get behind a little easier.

You know I'm a fan of the 2.2c, but I can't agree more with how you describe the stage above. Immersive is almost an understatement, but it does feel like sitting between two very well-extended (and very large) speakers. The 650 is very 3-blobbish compared to the 800 but at least it's some spread.

Out of the 2.2c, HD800 and HD650 I'll give the mid-range nod to the 650 every time. Bass to the 2.2 and treble to the 800. That's a pretty coarse way to gauge them, but also a pretty impressive feat for the "mid-grade" 650.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #28,372 of 46,499
I had been using my HD650s with E10k and Schiit Vali for some time before trying them with Ibasso DX50. I plugged DX50 as DAC to my laptop and plugged HD650s straight into the DX50. And, yet again, I am amazed. How can it sound much much better from the previous setup? More detail, more lively sound, basically everything sounds much better. I have no idea why, but I guess it's a matter of synergy. You'd think a dedicated DAC and Schiit Vali would seem like a better setup..

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #28,373 of 46,499
I had been using my HD650s with E10k and Schiit Vali for some time before trying them with Ibasso DX50. I plugged DX50 as DAC to my laptop and plugged HD650s straight into the DX50. And, yet again, I am amazed. How can it sound much much better from the previous setup? More detail, more lively sound, basically everything sounds much better. I have no idea why, but I guess it's a matter of synergy. You'd think a dedicated DAC and Schiit Vali would seem like a better setup..

Why? You're talking parts cost of ~$30-$40 including the casework.

You got a better piece of equipment. No supersize it sounds better. It gets even better, still. Good luck.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #28,374 of 46,499
Hi, this is my first post here in head-fi. This is an amazing community.
I just bought my first audiophile can, HD650(a second hand, actually).
The sound is very good. As all newbies would say, I heard sounds that I've never heard before.

I hope I can learn a lot from all the masters and gurus here.

Mofai, Malaysia

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #28,375 of 46,499
The sound is very good. As all newbies would say, I heard sounds that I've never heard before.

Mofai, Malaysia

Welcome to headfi Mofai!! You've bought yourself a wonderful headphone. Just a fantastic way to start your journey. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #28,376 of 46,499

Mofai, Malaysia

Welcome Mofai - it is a great community, and this thread is one of the longest running!

Welcome to headfi Mofai!! You've bought yourself a wonderful headphone. Just a fantastic way to start your journey. 

+1 - how many have said they tried everything else first? :) Starting with a 650 is a pretty good way to go....

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #28,377 of 46,499
  The filter is not for the polaris as such it is for the 650 to smooth out the frequency responce.  Frans (the designerof the Ember-polaris) has designed several headphone filters that are going between the source and the amp

So it's basically EQ implemented in hardware, right? Wouldn't EQing in the player end (software) be much more flexible? I don't get it, but that's OK.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #28,378 of 46,499

So it's basically EQ implemented in hardware, right? Wouldn't EQing in the player end (software) be much more flexible? I don't get it, but that's OK.

I'll admit, I don't get it either. It's like someone pre-setting a multi-band EQ (maybe to a very pleasing sound for that headphone for them or for a chart), removing all the sliders and sending it to you. But I guess you could EQ that....

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #28,379 of 46,499
  Fidelio X2 vs HD650?

I have the X2 and I generally like it. A lot of people say that it's on the same level, others say that X2 is "consumer-oriented" and HD650 is "audiophile oriented". I think there is some truth in that. There is something that doesn't quite sit right with me about the X2. The wide soundstage sounds artificial at times, like added reverb, and I hear a graininess in the highs. Pianos and acoustic bass don't sound natural to me. Bass is nice, but I think it's a bit too much.

If anybody has both these phones, I'd like to hear your impressions. I like detail and fairly neutral presentation leaning on forgiving. I have pretty much decided to try HD650 once a deal comes along. Classic is a classic.

I used to own the X2, and just recently purchased the HD650 (to replace the X2).

My analysis about the X2 is pretty much what you described.  I find the HD650 to be a worthy replacement so far.  Bass is still there, though a bit tighter and less muddy.  Plus I find the midrange to be more present and the highs to be smoother.  Only drawback is a smaller soundstage, though I felt at times the X2 had too large of a soundstage. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #28,380 of 46,499

Mofai, Malaysia

The fact that you have, by reading but not asking a single question, somehow managed to intuit that the HD-650 is a (? the) excellent first purchase for audiophile-class headphones suggests that we will be soon calling you Professor Mofai.

(Keep reading please; in the not-too-distant future I may need to pick your brains for recommendations for my next step-up for an amplifier.)

In the meantime, welcome, and enjoy your tunes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back