Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #27,901 of 46,514
Since the 650 represents approximately 65% of a possible score when scaled to 100, I would strongly, strongly urge you to strive for the HD-700, which is 50 "sound points" higher, and also highly recommended by many tinnitus sufferers. If you wish to join the tinnitus suffrage program, the 650's will leave you unsatisfied. In the design of the 700's, the extra 50 basis points were streamlined to produce as many of the tinnitus inducing effects as possible. This was a huge win for Sennheiser, but I feel that they could have done a much better job trying to destroy my hearing with the 650's.

I see where you're coming from saying it the opposite as it is. I have a tiny bit of tinnitus and in hindsight I realise it must have been from those years with the Beyer. DT 880. On the other hand, it seems that the slightly rolled off highs of the HD 650 help prevent tinnitus from worsening... and I think that's what you were saying too

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #27,902 of 46,514
Originally Posted by mikoss 

Since the 650 represents approximately 65% of a possible score when scaled to 100, I would strongly, strongly urge you to strive for the HD-700, which is 50 "sound points" higher, and also highly recommended by many tinnitus sufferers. If you wish to join the tinnitus suffrage program, the 650's will leave you unsatisfied. In the design of the 700's, the extra 50 basis points were streamlined to produce as many of the tinnitus inducing effects as possible. This was a huge win for Sennheiser, but I feel that they could have done a much better job trying to destroy my hearing with the 650's.

I'm confused. So, you're saying above that the 700 produces tinnitus? And what are these "basis points? Who assigns them? 
confused.gif

I've always found the 650 to be smooth at the top end. Not tinnitus-inducing at all.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #27,904 of 46,514
Not sure it was sarcasm. He may have erroneously typed "700" when he meant "650" in that sentence I boldfaced. Changes things completely. Still, I've never encountered anyone stating that 650 worsens tinnitus. Odd.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #27,905 of 46,514
The fact that this thread is still going on doesnt amaze me a bit as I , who got into the hobby late is going to receive the HD 650s tomorrow & I am really excited about that. This decision was off course done after a lot of research & it is testament of the product that even after 10-13 years there is few who can compete with senns HD 650 at this price point.

Moreover, I would like your comments on pairing of the IFi IDSD micro with HD 650s , anyone having this experience I would welcom your thoughts on that. Thanks

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #27,906 of 46,514
  Not sure it was sarcasm. He may have erroneously typed "700" when he meant "650" in that sentence I boldfaced. Changes things completely. Still, I've never encountered anyone stating that 650 worsens tinnitus. Odd.

Come on guys, it's not difficult. He's saying that the extra 50 points over & above the 650 were assigned to inducing tinnitus.
deadhorse.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #27,907 of 46,514
This is probably among one of the best reviews I've ever read... it should explain my somewhat sarcastic, somewhat funny, perhaps intentionally misleading post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614011/sennheiser-hd700-review

At 5.5kHz, we can clearly see that the HD700 is 10db louder than the ESP950. Noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) has been shown to manifest as notches from 3kHz to 6kHz. We are especially concerned with those listeners who do not notice or do not mind the treble characteristics of the HD700. We recommend taking regular breaks to check for any discomfort, ringing, deafness, or nausea. This advice is not restricted to the HD700, but all other headphones with similar characteristics such as the more aggressive Grados, Ultrasones, and some Beyers.

As an aside, we need to have fun sometimes!

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #27,910 of 46,514
  I think its also the language barrier/translation since for many English is not their first or primary language.
"Lost in translation" could be the causes of these funny posts, like Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory who has trouble with sarcasm.

Mikoss (knock knock knock), mikoss (knock knock knock) 
beyersmile.png
 (you won't get it unless you've seen the show, primary language notwithstanding lol). But good point - it's easy enough for native-english speakers to not mis-read each other! Mix in a different first language and @mikoss's wry sarcasm gets even more interesting. Makes my head spin and ears ring lmao.

@Solrighal
@DDDamian
@Liu Junyuan
@whirlwind
Do you PM each other before posting, great banter on the previous page, lol.

Heh Solrighal took us on a strange journey..... :)

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #27,911 of 46,514

Very nice with the BHA-1 and the 650. The SE output on this thing is okay, but the balanced out just kills the SE. Can't wait for the balanced 650 cables to arrive.....

The SE output on the BHA-1 isn't overly impressive.  I actually preferred my NuForce HA-200 for SE. 
Balanced though, the BHA-1 shines.  Definitely worth the investment.

Mike

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #27,912 of 46,514

The SE output on the BHA-1 isn't overly impressive.  I actually preferred my NuForce HA-200 for SE. 
Balanced though, the BHA-1 shines.  Definitely worth the investment.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Seems to be the general consensus too. It just doesn't have quite enough drive power out of the SE output to really make the 650's/800's shine (basically using half the amp).

I've got cables inbound now for the 650/800, and a set of Cardas XLR interconnects came in this morning, so now balanced from DAC to amp. The only can I can listen to in balanced right now is the LCD2.2, and the soundstage does sound a bit wider. Looking forward to hearing the 650 and 800 really sing through this amp: it's got great neutrality and clarity - very vibrant sound but not super-edgy as I feared being a tubehead.

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #27,913 of 46,514
  Thanks Mike. Seems to be the general consensus too. It just doesn't have quite enough drive power out of the SE output to really make the 650's/800's shine (basically using half the amp).

I've got cables inbound now for the 650/800, and a set of Cardas XLR interconnects came in this morning, so now balanced from DAC to amp. The only can I can listen to in balanced right now is the LCD2.2, and the soundstage does sound a bit wider. Looking forward to hearing the 650 and 800 really sing through this amp: it's got great neutrality and clarity - very vibrant sound but not super-edgy as I feared being a tubehead.

+1. heh. Brightston Bryston gear is never edgy.... 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #27,914 of 46,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back