Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #27,933 of 46,525
  regarding that hd600 is is similar to hd650 how do they compare to akg k702 7xx? I find them a little light sounding and I've heard the 'senni' sound is also light. My hd518 yuck, apologies were also light. No bass impact etc.

No one's suggested the 650s are "light" that I'm aware of. The main complaint some have is that they're overly warm although IMO they are not at all. They have a bass lift to them but that's all. Nothing severe.

Then again, if you find the AKG K7xx to be "light" the HD650 may give you similar issues given that the K7xx has a much stronger bass response (confession, looking solely at graphs). 

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #27,934 of 46,525
when I mean light I mean mostly lacking bass; thud, impact, solid :)
I did the bass mod on k702 believe me now they are fun, as some have criticized, but I can't help but feel they are close to distortion like I have to baby them abit or am I going deaf I wonder on certain material (even without bass mod) it sort of like the bass is like a hollow wave like a wave 'drawn' picture wise, but not having body. The LCD are quite a revealer of this in AB comparison. I'm not saying the K702 are bad, more that maybe my sound preference dsp etc may push the headphones to their limit abit. I noticed the bassier denon d5000 was also abit close to distortion. MInd you the LCD-2 etc have 3 mm xmass and 130db range without distortion! :) Thank you

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #27,935 of 46,525

No one's suggested the 650s are "light" that I'm aware of. The main complaint some have is that they're overly warm although IMO they are not at all. They have a bass lift to them but that's all. Nothing severe.

Then again, if you find the AKG K7xx to be "light" the HD650 may give you similar issues given that the K7xx has a much stronger bass response (confession, looking solely at graphs). 

Has anyone seen the port on the K7xx vs K702 did they simply drill out the port diameter (removing the seal of course). :) I am tempted to drill it on k702..

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #27,936 of 46,525
when I mean light I mean mostly lacking bass; thud, impact, solid
smily_headphones1.gif

I did the bass mod on k702 believe me now they are fun, as some have criticized, but I can't help but feel they are close to distortion like I have to baby them abit or am I going deaf I wonder on certain material (even without bass mod) it sort of like the bass is like a hollow wave like a wave 'drawn' picture wise, but not having body. The LCD are quite a revealer of this in AB comparison. I'm not saying the K702 are bad, more that maybe my sound preference dsp etc may push the headphones to their limit abit. I noticed the bassier denon d5000 was also abit close to distortion. MInd you the LCD-2 etc have 3 mm xmass and 130db range without distortion!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you

Well the AKG K702 is a notoriously light-bass headphone. Okay you can "mod" it but it's not going to make it like a headphone designed from the ground up to be that way. The AKG K712 and K7xx seem to be SIGNIFICANTLY more bass present based on the reviews and measurements, but without having your modded 702s handy I have literally no way of comparing.

You're also using the LCD-2, which is a planar and thus has flawless bass extension and is known for being especially bassy to begin with, as a point of comparison which is going to be problematic when comparing it to open-back dynamics. There just won't be a headphone that can replicate that. If the bass sounds "hollow" then likely what happened was that your mod gave it a midbass hump with nothing lower so it can't give the tones any body.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #27,937 of 46,525

Well the AKG K702 is a notoriously light-bass headphone. Okay you can "mod" it but it's not going to make it like a headphone designed from the ground up to be that way. The AKG K712 and K7xx seem to be SIGNIFICANTLY more bass present based on the reviews and measurements, but without having your modded 702s handy I have literally no way of comparing.

You're also using the LCD-2, which is a planar and thus has flawless bass extension and is known for being especially bassy to begin with, as a point of comparison which is going to be problematic when comparing it to open-back dynamics. There just won't be a headphone that can replicate that. If the bass sounds "hollow" then likely what happened was that your mod gave it a midbass hump with nothing lower so it can't give the tones any body.

thanks for the insight, I just want to confirm that the mod did not cause the 'lightness' hollow sound. Infact it seemed to increase the low end but in a light sense. If that makes sense.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #27,938 of 46,525

thanks for the insight, I just want to confirm that the mod did not cause the 'lightness' hollow sound. Infact it seemed to increase the low end but in a light sense. If that makes sense.

What I meant was that the mod wasn't really going to make the bass "better" because chances are that speaker's housing wasn't made for it. It's like drilling a hole in a speaker box. If anything it'll mess with the resonance of it so you'll get some bump in the higher bass register but it won't fill out the low end. I mean it just can't. The more openings you have in the housing of an already open-back headphone the more of a "free air" sound you'll get. 

So the 650 are going to sound significantly bassier, yes.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #27,941 of 46,525
  +1, even if English is my first language.

Of all the music genres rap and most hip-hop is not on my listening list.  I like the HD-650 for female vocals, R&B, Jpop, Kpop and Pop.

+2 Same here, can't stand that "ghetto speak".

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #27,942 of 46,525
  You guys are lucky to be born with the most spoken language in the world !
No big need to learn something else. 
cool.gif

But always good to learn other languages. Head-fi is being part of my training with english recently
biggrin.gif
 Thanks to all native speakers here. 
Other training is listening to more audiophile music, the HD 650 with its mids is able to clear up the lyrics very well.
You can get some suprises when you finally understand that song that you liked when you where not able to understand english.
But sometimes you are like 
blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif
 with some hip hop and rnb songs. xD

I'm far more impressed with your written English.  That's far more difficult to master.  At least with spoken, you can immerse yourself in it...

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #27,943 of 46,525
cool.gif

But always good to learn other languages.

I thought Chinese is the most spoken language? Then Spanish. English maybe third?

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #27,944 of 46,525
cool.gif

But always good to learn other languages. Head-fi is being part of my training with english recently
biggrin.gif
 Thanks to all native speakers here. 
Other training is listening to more audiophile music, the HD 650 with its mids is able to clear up the lyrics very well.
You can get some suprises when you finally understand that song that you liked when you where not able to understand english.
But sometimes you are like 
blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif
 with some hip hop and rnb songs. xD

most spoken language in the world, you mean mandarin
biggrin.gif

I'm far more impressed with your written English.  That's far more difficult to master.  At least with spoken, you can immerse yourself in it...

you obviously never heard me talk in english
ph34r.gif
.  ice pick angliche verrry wouel ouizout accent.
deadhorse.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #27,945 of 46,525

most spoken language in the world, you mean mandarin
biggrin.gif

Mandarin's got the most people who speak it as a first language, but those lists are just absurd for saying that English only has 360million speakers. Far as I can tell they just add up the populations of the countries where it's the "official" language because and call it a wrap. Fact is that people in nearly every country end up learning English as a second language at some point, sort of like how US students learn Spanish, except over there they actually become conversational (if not fluent) in it.

Think about the internet these days. How many people do you see on English websites apologizing for not being native speakers? I've run into folks from Singapore, Italy, Estonia, Peru, France, the Netherlands, India, pretty much any country and they all speak English to some degree. How many Americans or Brits do you run into on non-English websites chatting it up? Just a consequence of commanding the means of communication early on. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back