Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #27,947 of 46,499
  @pfillion - you're lurking again lol. Whatcha been up to and what are you wearing now? (Damn that sounds all wrong...)

Hello Ian,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away from head-fi for a couple of months but I'm back in the HD650 family!  (I just bought a brand new pair from Buysonic.)

Cheers

Patrick

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #27,948 of 46,499

Mandarin's got the most people who speak it as a first language, but those lists are just absurd for saying that English only has 360million speakers. Far as I can tell they just add up the populations of the countries where it's the "official" language because and call it a wrap. Fact is that people in nearly every country end up learning English as a second language at some point, sort of like how US students learn Spanish, except over there they actually become conversational (if not fluent) in it.

Think about the internet these days. How many people do you see on English websites apologizing for not being native speakers? I've run into folks from Singapore, Italy, Estonia, Peru, France, the Netherlands, India, pretty much any country and they all speak English to some degree. How many Americans or Brits do you run into on non-English websites chatting it up? Just a consequence of commanding the means of communication early on. :p

How many non-English websites do you frequent?

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #27,949 of 46,499

You guys are lucky to be born with the most spoken language in the world !
No big need to learn something else. 
cool.gif

But always good to learn other languages. Head-fi is being part of my training with english recently
biggrin.gif
 Thanks to all native speakers here. 
Other training is listening to more audiophile music, the HD 650 with its mids is able to clear up the lyrics very well.
You can get some suprises when you finally understand that song that you liked when you where not able to understand english.
But sometimes you are like 
blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif
 with some hip hop and rnb songs. xD

I'm far more impressed with your written English.  That's far more difficult to master.  At least with spoken, you can immerse yourself in it...

+1

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #27,950 of 46,499

Like most other native English speakers: zero. XD

I've jumped onto a few Japanese sites for videos as well as Russian, but I can honestly say I've never known a Westerner who frequents non-English websites outside of anime fans.

I'm not like, being "American arrogant" or whatever, it's just that English is essentially a global language. May not remain that forever, especially if China starts taking over economically, but right now such is the case. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #27,952 of 46,499
Hello so I just picked up a new pair sen 650's finally and currently only have a fiio x5 to power it as an amp. so I was wondering if you guys could knew if a 600$ solid state amp (want to avoid the endless cycle of tube amps) would make an appreciable difference and if so, which ones?

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #27,953 of 46,499
  Hello so I just picked up a new pair sen 650's finally and currently only have a fiio x5 to power it as an amp. so I was wondering if you guys could knew if a 600$ solid state amp (want to avoid the endless cycle of tube amps) would make an appreciable difference and if so, which ones?

Tubes can last a lifetime, being content with just one set is fleeting.

Some of my favorite SS amps I have owned/own and enjoyed with the 650(within your stated budget)

Project Polaris (clean and solid)
Gustard H10 (a bit tube-like)
Headroom  Desktop (really great with the HD650)
Meier Audio: Corda Classic (a bit over budget, but really good)
Audio GD (lots of good stuff there, I own SA31 SE, great with the HD650)

A Vintage recapped receiver! (I have owned a few and all make the HD650 sing)

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #27,954 of 46,499

Honestly, you don't need a $600 amp for the 650. The Polaris sounds very good with it.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #27,955 of 46,499

Like most other native English speakers: zero. XD

I've jumped onto a few Japanese sites for videos as well as Russian, but I can honestly say I've never known a Westerner who frequents non-English websites outside of anime fans.

I'm not like, being "American arrogant" or whatever, it's just that English is essentially a global language. May not remain that forever, especially if China starts taking over economically, but right now such is the case. 

SomeGuyDude : Je suis entièrement d'accord avec vous. 
size]

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #27,956 of 46,499

I'm waiting on shipment of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which is $599 if you want in on the first batch.  I will be reporting, once I receive it if a few more weeks.

But you should also check out Garage1217.  They make some cool solid state and tube hybrid stuff.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #27,957 of 46,499

Hello Ian,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away from head-fi for a couple of months but I'm back in the HD650 family!  (I just bought a brand new pair from Buysonic.)

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick - full circle eh? :) Glad you're back in with them. I've been doing the LCD2.2 and HD-800 roundabout and the 650's (your old pair) hold their revered spot on the three wise heads. Those are the silly styrofoam mannakin heads I use for stands lol. I can just imagine the merry-go-round you've been on, and back again. Do tell sometime!

Some of my favorite SS amps I have owned/own and enjoyed with the 650(within your stated budget)

I have the H-10 and found it a bit too subdued with the 650's but great with the HE-400 & HD-800. Just IMO. I've heard great things about the Polaris and Audio GD range.

@ButtUglyJeff - oooooh Cavelli! Look forward to your impressions......

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #27,958 of 46,499

Wow thanks man! I didn't even know about garage 1217 before but the Polaris looks like something that would definitely suit my needs. plus its so cheap!!

I'm waiting on shipment of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which is $599 if you want in on the first batch.  I will be reporting, once I receive it if a few more weeks.

But you should also check out Garage1217.  They make some cool solid state and tube hybrid stuff.

Ok man amp looks awesome, look forward to your impressions!

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #27,959 of 46,499
They are available for $300 @ Buysonic

I'm pretty sure that you will like them with bands like Kamelot. :wink:

Never heard of buysonic, looks like I have to make an account to see the deal. Trustworthy site to buy from? How are there return policies on open items if I don't like the sound of the hd650?

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #27,960 of 46,499
Never heard of buysonic, looks like I have to make an account to see the deal. Trustworthy site to buy from? How are there return policies on open items if I don't like the sound of the hd650?

They are a steal at $300. If you don't like the sound, you could always sell them for probably the same cost as you paid, once they're no longer on sale. I doubt you need to worry anyway, for obvious reasons. Just in case, here is the

BuySonic Return Policy

Our return policy strives to be as flexible as possible for you, while allowing us to provide top brand electronics at a steep discount. As a result, not every product can be returned. If you need any further assistance or clarification, please contact us by sending an email at buysonic@sonicelectronix.com. All items can be returned unless the item is marked Final Sale or otherwise noted as non-returnable on the product page.

[size=1.25em]Return Eligibility Window[/size]

Due to the nature of our sales and agreements with manufacturers, we can only accept returns for credit on unopened, manufacturer sealed items within 7 days of receipt of the item. Once you open your item, you may return it only if the item has a manufacturer’s defect and we are notified within 7 days of receipt of the item. In the event your item is defective, we will gladly exchange the item for the same item or issue store credit if the item is not available to be exchanged. All returns must include everything that was included with the item, including all accessories and packaging. If your item is defective after 7 days, you must contact the manufacturer for a repair or replacement request. It is up to you the buyer to pay for return shipping to transport the item to our facility.  If you simply do not like your item, chances are one of your friends will! You can always be a nice friend and gift it too!

1. Returns accepted within 7 days of purchase
  2. Only returns for exchange are accepted
  3. After 7 days contact the manufacturer

[size=1.25em]Return and Exchange Instructions[/size]

It’s easy! To start a return or exchange, please follow the instructions below.

Email us at buysonic@sonicelectronix.com with the information below:

• Your Name, Phone Number, Address
  • Order ID
  • Reason for the Return or Exchange
  • Item Condition, including any defects
Once we validate your Return request you will be provided with a Return Authorization #.
From there you can ship back your product like below:

Prepare your package for shipment[product in Manufacturer’s box,
Manufacturer’s box in shipping box] and write the RA number on all six
sides of the shipping box.

Carefully package the item(s) in a shipping box and return the goods to
the following address:

10645 Freeport Drive
Louisville, KY 40258

Users who are viewing this thread

Back