Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #27,871 of 46,553
  I feel bad that I'm dragging the thread off topic now. :O
Cheers.

I am quite sure we are helping eachother in doing that 
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #27,872 of 46,553
I have the X2 and its that lack of mids and slightly harsh highs that is making me shop around for a different headphone.

I know the HD650 likes tube amps, but would a SS like magni2 uber work well? I may end up getting a tube later next year if money permits.

Yes Magni 2 Uber should be good until you upgrade for sure.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #27,873 of 46,553
Nothing strange with T1 being replaced after more than five years (?). That's what many other manufacturers do (take Audeze or Hifiman). They listen to their users and make changes. Some never do (take Sennheiser)

What you write about the sound balance of Beyers is your personal opinion, not a fact. I could say exactly the same about AKG and their unnatural mids and plasticky sound but I can accept there are thousands of people actually enjoying AKG. Many people think Sennheisers are veiled and lacking in details. I can accept that. We have different ears and different preferences in the head-fi world and we are very subjective. I have no problems with Beyer at all. Actually I love their crispy sound and think they are a great complement to Sennheiser's house sound (warm and laid-back). But this is my personal opinion. 

The problem with childish remarks of the kind you did is that you are making fools of people who actually love a certain sound signature. That is disrespectful and not fair.

Sennheiser has two house sounds today.
the HD800 is more beyer style from what i see here. Not a warm HP

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #27,878 of 46,553
Think I'm going to go with the hd650. I have a modi/magni now, and will probably add a tube to this setup sometime fall 2016. Going to keep an eye on amazon and slickdeals, wait for that $300 price point to come up again like it usually does a few times holiday season.

Is there a quick and easy way to see if I got the latest revision?

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #27,879 of 46,553
Think I'm going to go with the hd650. I have a modi/magni now, and will probably add a tube to this setup sometime fall 2016. Going to keep an eye on amazon and slickdeals, wait for that $300 price point to come up again like it usually does a few times holiday season.

Is there a quick and easy way to see if I got the latest revision?

If you're buying new you're for sure getting the latest revision: the change was years ago.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #27,881 of 46,553
  Can you explain why? If the paint is chipped, why not? I have had my HD650 for 10 years and I can guarantee you they don't look nice after so many years of use. Chipping paint and scratches. Of course I would also recommend re-painting only if they look really bad. 

If they really are 10 years old, maybe consider new pads instead of paint.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #27,883 of 46,553

It's the thread that keeps on keepin' on.

beerchug.gif

The HD 650's keep going... and going... and going, even longer than the Energizer - hence why this thread is still active. 
wink.gif

I think the only way to break these 'cans are by insane amping or natural disasters - otherwise they only get better over driver burn'in and scaling with sources.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #27,884 of 46,553
  The HD 650's keep going... and going... and going, even longer than the Energizer - hence why this thread is still active. 
wink.gif

I think the only way to break these 'cans are by insane amping or natural disasters - otherwise they only get better over driver burn'in and scaling with sources.

One of my drivers on HD650 broke after 7 years. I replaced both with new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back