Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #26,761 of 46,499
How hd650 sound with Fiio e12? Dont want to buy it, just curious:).

Very, very good :) not OTL good but for the price quite excellent.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #26,762 of 46,499
  I don't know the answer, but holy crap does that Renault engine sound good. Much better than today's V6 turbo engines 
rolleyes.gif

Though not all V6's are bad I suppose. McLaren's MP4/4, that was legendary, and it had a V6. 

Did someone say McLaren? I pulled up to traffic light, last week, and saw this in front of me (and, yes, the engine sound was legendary):

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #26,763 of 46,499

I just listened to the 650s at my local Best Buy.

I listened to some heavy metal out of my Nexus 5 smartphone and was surprised by a couple of things:
  1. I got pretty good volume and soundstage
  2. I got lots of bass

This left me wondering:
  1. how much more bass am I gonna get out of these things if I use a desktop amplifier?

Wondering if it's gonna be too much.

I don't believe it will be too much bass....depending on the amp will determine how good the bass is though.

It can overall sound boomy....it can also sound tight and controlled 
smile.gif

Overall I consider it a great can across the whole spectrum.......the same way haters hate Grado's for the bright treble.....haters hate the HD650 for the dark and lack of treble to some.

I would not worry about to much bass....you can EQ a tad of bass out with decent results....adding bass with EQ.....not so much.

They are a great can, I would say you will like them if the first impression was good.

I will be using them with my
  1. HT Omega eClaro sound card which I understand has a solid state amplifier
  2. Denon TX-NR509 stereo receiver which is.... a mystery box because I don't know what its headphone-out resources are, but it powers my rather power-hungry Grado SR 225i's well enough

The 650s definitely had me foot-tappin' in Best Buy when I was auditioning them through my Nexus 5.

I guess the next thing to do is to just get them and find out what they'll do.

-s

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #26,765 of 46,499

The 650s definitely had me foot-tappin' in Best Buy when I was auditioning them through my Nexus 5.

I guess the next thing to do is to just get them and find out what they'll do.

-s

You're in for a helluva surprise once you hit them with some serious power
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #26,766 of 46,499

You're in for a helluva surprise once you hit them with some serious power
beerchug.gif

No doubt.

Honestly that's what impressed me the most about the 650s. I listened to them through a VModa Vamp Verza out of my phone at ACGears in NYC, which is a little store that wasn't what you'd call "quiet", and I was pretty stunned at how "solid" they sounded.

That's what caught me about them, actually. They didn't have any standout features. I wasn't wowed by the bass, the treble, the soundstage, nothing. The flip side was that I couldn't say anything was wrong. And that's a great thing. It was just this really enjoyable cohesive unit. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #26,767 of 46,499

Did someone say McLaren? I pulled up to traffic light, last week, and saw this in front of me (and, yes, the engine sound was legendary):

Whoa, P1. Thats awesome. Really rare to see one of those. 

I don't imagine anyone buying a car this low to the ground in my country though, we have speed bumps literally everywhere and the road surface is terrible. Actually, terrible is an understatement. Its like driving over a teenager's face. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #26,768 of 46,499
Whoa, P1. Thats awesome. Really rare to see one of those. 

I don't imagine anyone buying a car this low to the ground in my country though, we have speed bumps literally everywhere and the road surface is terrible. Actually, terrible is an understatement. Its like driving over a teenager's face. :D  

It's not a lot better here either.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #26,769 of 46,499
It's not a lot better here either.

Haven't been to Scotland unfortunately. However, I have been to some European countries (Germany, Switzerland). The road surface there was really good there. No wonder people max out their cars there, no bumps or unevenness on the road to worry about. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #26,772 of 46,499
Thanks mate, maybe someday i buy hd650 to compliment my dt990 when i feel tired and to hear some excelent vocals or some pop, maybe for some games like fallout 4? where such a classic nice music is present:).

Do it. Do it. Do it. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, my HD650's complement the DT880's extremely well, so I imagine it would be the same for your DT990's. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #26,773 of 46,499
Do it. Do it. Do it. :D

Seriously, my HD650's complement the DT880's extremely well, so I imagine it would be the same for your DT990's. 
Ok, Gonna reserve some money every month and then i have all the money, i immediately buy hd650:). God damn it you head-fi! :DDD Aways wanted can like hd650 when listening Adele or something like that. One Headphone is never enough for all those different genres there is... Always wanted to have one that do it all! That one is not existent... Every real music lover should have atleat few phones if he listen many genres.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #26,774 of 46,499
The HD 650 does well on ALL genres: electronic, jazz, rock, pop, hip hop, noize, etc. and I'm assuming country & classical. The only time many HD 650 owners want another headphone is for a change of sound signature, but perhaps not because it doesn't do that genre well 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #26,775 of 46,499
ugh, the itch and urge to get one HD650 for myself too, a "old silver" HD650 is offered to me for local currency RM1100, which is roughly 290 USD, the new goes for RM1800 - RM2000, which makes the old silver more tempting

currently is ifi iusb -magni modi- q701 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back