Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #23,746 of 46,514
  no, its a line level output, it is not being routed thru the amp section, also why changing the output impedance in the xonar control panel has no effect on the line out.

The sound card has a 1. Line-in Port, 2. Headphone/Front out port, 3. Surround out port, 4. Center/Sub out port, 5. SPDIF Toslink out port. 

There is no line out port that I can see according to the instructions. How does the Magni 2 amp go with the HD 650, it is quite a bit cheaper than the Project Ember at $100. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #23,747 of 46,514
  The sound card has a 1. Line-in Port, 2. Headphone/Front out port, 3. Surround out port, 4. Center/Sub out port, 5. SPDIF Toslink out port. 

There is no line out port that I can see according to the instructions. How does the Magni 2 amp go with the HD 650, it is quite a bit cheaper than the Project Ember at $100. 

Use #2, it is actually the line out port, just tried on my system.

As for the Magni 2, I don't know, I have only have the first gen Magni and it works quite well with the HD-650, I think the Magni being on the brighter side pairs well with the HD-650 since its on the warmer side, just my ears saying.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #23,748 of 46,514

Why I'm keeping the HD650 & why I love this headphone

After a long listening session beginning this afternoon until 8PM (Atlantic time) w/HD800+Auralic Taurus mkII in xlr balanced mode & listening to some Bowie, Steely Dan, Beck, Beatles & the Stones, I realized I was no longer really enjoying listening to music.  Too much listening or sound fatigue ?  Only one way to find out : switch to my trusted HD650 in xlr balanced mode also and switch the music to J.J. Cale (3 different albums) & Clapton's two mellow Cale like albums : There's one in every crowd & Backless.  The result :  it was sound fatigue because as soon as I made the switch it was oh so nice & relaxing.  Nothing lost in the sound quality or detail.  This is why I have more than one set of HPs and that's why I've had the HD650 for quite a while & there not going anywhere.  With a quality amp, which the mk2 is, the HD650 is an excellent HP, especially when I need to mellow out and just relax w/the music.  I've dubbed them : Ol' reliable.

It sounds like you might be a candidate to like the LCD 2.2F.  I love my HD650s, but the LCDs do everything the 650s do but better while keeping the same tonal signature and smooth nature.  I keep both in my collection and will probably never part with them.

Hi Jay,

Good to hear from you again.  I respect your opinion/taste concerning the LCD 2.2 but I had a pair approx. 2.5 yrs ago & did not like them.  At the time I was listening to them w/HA-160D & I preferred the HD650 w/HA-160D even back then.  I've learned over the years & by being a member of Head-fi that that when it comes to listening tastes whether music wise or HPs the diversity is infinite.  I've owned & listened to many, many different HPs & I have always loved the HD650 right from the very beginning.  I can also see where you would feel the same about the LCD 2.2.  Thanks for sharing. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #23,749 of 46,514

Hi Jay,

Good to hear from you again.  I respect your opinion/taste concerning the LCD 2.2 but I had a pair approx. 2.5 yrs ago & did not like them.  At the time I was listening to them w/HA-160D & I preferred the HD650 w/HA-160D even back then.  I've learned over the years & by being a member of Head-fi that that when it comes to listening tastes whether music wise or HPs the diversity is infinite.  I've owned & listened to many, many different HPs & I have always loved the HD650 right from the very beginning.  I can also see where you would feel the same about the LCD 2.2.  Thanks for sharing. 
beerchug.gif

The 650s certainly do have something magical about them that keeps earning them head time.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #23,750 of 46,514
Earsonics is about the closest iem , I could recommend. Both the SM3 & EM3-pro, have the same sound sig. The EM3 does it better than the SM3. With that said , I'm uncertain about their new line of products, but I would like to think that much hasn't changed in the way of the Earsonics , "house sound".
I don't think you will be able to find an iem that sounds like HD650. However, I can tell you my JH16 Pro sounds darker than HD650. I never heard the JH13 but JH16 is known to be darker than JH13. Maybe JH13 is your answer. All being said, I am currently really enjoying my JH16. I am glad that I got the JH16 and not JH13. You might want to do more research at JH16 thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/479434/jh-audio-jh16-pro-first-impressions

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #23,751 of 46,514
  Update on the new 650's that I initially found brighter... The highs are sounding much better now after a good 50 hours of listening; they're presenting a lot more detail than the old worn 650's I had (both pairs have the same drivers). The pad wear definitely takes away from the detail that the newer 650's have. I'd never heard a new pair, so wasn't aware of the level of detail they have with new pads. The soundstage was also narrower on the new pads, but I think it's about the same now. Just my opinion on the first 50 hours with new 650's, compared to the old pair I still have and now think need new pads. 
smily_headphones1.gif

New pads would be nice, mine are worn; but, wow, $70 US on Amazon. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #23,753 of 46,514

New pads would be nice, mine are worn; but, wow, $70 US on Amazon. 
rolleyes.gif

That price seems high, I would contact Sennheiser directly for a pair of replacement pads.

$42.80 + shipping on the Sennheiser USA site...but...currently out of stock:  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650#accessories

-Mark in St. Louis

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #23,754 of 46,514

Hi Jay,

beerchug.gif

+1

1st thing will be that Sennheiser sweeeet sound, it just feels like im inside a jazz bar~
2nd that is something about that presentation~ the vocal is sounds higher and instruments all over the bottom separated nicely while LCD 2 sounds big but more towards left and right (bad explanation)

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #23,755 of 46,514
Hi guys, whixh amp do you consider the best for 150-350$ for the HD650(mostly for rock/some live concerts/movies, fps games)
I've got some choices in my mind:
Valhalla 2, Bottlehead Crack, o2+odac,modi 2+magni2? One of the amps that I have listed with some other DAC?
BTWI did forget to mention that I have a Creative Sound Blaster ZX, I don't know if that's enough as a dac but I'll let you guys decide, moreover I have both Audio Technica ATH-A700X and Shure SE215 that I would like that my amp be able to drive, It'll be nice if the amp will be able to drive them but not a mandatory.
Thanks a lot guys

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #23,756 of 46,514
Hi guys, whixh amp do you consider the best for 150-350$ for the HD650(mostly for rock/some live concerts/movies, fps games)
I've got some choices in my mind:
Valhalla 2, Bottlehead Crack, o2+odac,modi 2+magni2? One of the amps that I have listed with some other DAC?
BTWI did forget to mention that I have a Creative Sound Blaster ZX, I don't know if that's enough as a dac but I'll let you guys decide, moreover I have both Audio Technica ATH-A700X and Shure SE215 that I would like that my amp be able to drive, It'll be nice if the amp will be able to drive them but not a mandatory.
Thanks a lot guys

Hi!

I just received my HD650 today and hadn't a chance to unpack it.

However, I have (or had) a few of the amps in your shortlist.

My comments:
Bottlehead Crack is the winner for the HD650 (based on using it with T90, T1, HD800)
Valhalla 2 second

BUT both of the above cannot drive in ears so well. The crack has an output impedance of 150 Ohm. 

So if you want to drive lower impedance IEMs or headphones as well I would recommend the Modi2, Magni2Uber stack or the O2+Odac. 
Another very well performing Amp/DAC is the Aune T1 Mk2 that can be had for $169 - lots of juice and the benefit of having a tube in the DAC part (yes it's a tube DAC, not tube amp)..

Give me a day and I can test the HD650 with:
- Crack (with Speedball)
- Aune T1 Mk2
- Modi2Uber/Magni2Uber
- Centrance DACMini CX
- Cayin C5
- JDSLabs C5D
- Audioengine D3

Overall I am pretty sure with my experience with the T90 and HD598 that you should be happy with the Schiit stack or the Objective stack - if you need to drive other headphones as well.

If you want the best the HD650 can deliver, then I would go with the Crack....
Cheers,
K

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #23,757 of 46,514

Hi!

My comments:
Bottlehead Crack is the winner for the HD650 (based on using it with T90, T1, HD800)
Valhalla 2 second

BUT both of the above cannot drive in ears so well. The crack has an output impedance of 150 Ohm. 

So if you want to drive lower impedance IEMs or headphones as well I would recommend the Modi2, Magni2Uber stack or the O2+Odac. 
Another very well performing Amp/DAC is the Aune T1 Mk2 that can be had for $169 - lots of juice and the benefit of having a tube in the DAC part (yes it's a tube DAC, not tube amp)..

- Crack (with Speedball)
- Aune T1 Mk2
- Modi2Uber/Magni2Uber
- Centrance DACMini CX
- Cayin C5
- JDSLabs C5D
- Audioengine D3

Overall I am pretty sure with my experience with the T90 and HD598 that you should be happy with the Schiit stack or the Objective stack - if you need to drive other headphones as well.

Cheers,
K

This is good advice. When just considering the 650, the crack will win. The Val 2 is much more versatile and takes second place. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #23,759 of 46,514
Hi!

My comments:
Valhalla 2 second

- Crack (with Speedball)
- Aune T1 Mk2
- Modi2Uber/Magni2Uber
- Centrance DACMini CX
- Cayin C5
- JDSLabs C5D
- Audioengine D3

Cheers,
K

What do you say about further mods and upgrades? Anything specific? Should I install the speedball? Which DAC should I buy afterwards?

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #23,760 of 46,514
I can also vouch for the Aune T1 DAC+ hp amp+ pre-amp out with the HD-650's. It can be had for $169US new, and with about a $15 upgrade in capacitors and $90 Amperex 7308 tube, it can sound wonderful. (I've been using it as my DAC for quite a while, and wrote a guide on upgrading the capacitors, with the help of headfi'ers on the Aune T1 thread).

If you want other OTL amp recommendations with the 650s, I think the Figaro 339 or WA2 bests the Crack, but they are more expensive, and also require a solid investment for tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back