Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #23,297 of 46,527
  WOW!Some of those Project Ember is actually way more expensive than the CRACK.

Try to get a B.C. built for $324 the kit price is only $274.99 so how much is the crack again?

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #23,298 of 46,527

WOW!Some of those Project Ember is actually way more expensive than the CRACK.

Try to get a B.C. built for $324 the kit price is only $274.99 so how much is the crack again?

Do you know how much it will cost you to source out all  the EMBE4 PARTS?Compared to the CRACK TRANSFORMER Alone so value for the money you decide.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #23,300 of 46,527
  Zorrofox I have heard good things about that as well.

Two questions for you regarding the Ember.  Did you buy the kit or pre-built?  And did you go with the acrylic chassis or CNC'ed?

I haven't bought the Ember.. yet. I would but it pre-built though. My hands are too shaky these days to attempt building one myself. I think I'd go for the aluminium one if it was my own money.
  Also don't know much about their other offerings, but did you look into any of the other amps they sell before purchasing the Ember?

I had the Ember for 6 weeks and fell in love with it. Coming from an O2 it was a revelation. Just before I moved it on I took delivery of a Polaris and so was able to compare them back to back. The Polaris is very good and there's more in common that differentiates them. I only held on to the Polaris for a couple of days because I just craved the Ember too much.

Ultimately I'd go for the warmth & sound-stage of the Ember over the Polaris but there's honestly not much in it. Both have tons of power for my HD 650's so no worries with either on that front.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #23,301 of 46,527
  I have my HD 650 for a few months now but the clamping force still a little tight,Do you guys bend yours to loosen it?

If you feel the need to loosen it then the general consensus is to fully extend each end and, gripping only the metal (NOT the plastic), gently bend each side straight & hold it for roughly 15 seconds. Alternate each side and then re-size them & wear them for a bit. Rinse & repeat.

Or wait a while, they'll gradually loosen on their own.

There's plenty of photos out there of cracked headbands caused by people benfing them by gripping the plastic headband. Don't do that.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #23,302 of 46,527

I have my HD 650 for a few months now but the clamping force still a little tight,Do you guys bend yours to loosen it?

If you feel the need to loosen it then the general consensus is to fully extend each end and, gripping only the metal (NOT the plastic), gently bend each side straight & hold it for roughly 15 seconds. Alternate each side and then re-size them & wear them for a bit. Rinse & repeat.

There's plenty of photos out there of cracked headbands caused by people benfing them by gripping the plastic headband. Don't do that.

I will try this Very gently,THANKS!

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #23,303 of 46,527

Yeah my first reaction was "man these is tight!" but they must have stretched a little on their own because they're not so bad now with only one week of use.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #23,304 of 46,527
It works THANKS Zorrofox
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #23,307 of 46,527
 Do you know how much it will cost you to source out all  the EMBE4 PARTS?Compared to the CRACK TRANSFORMER Alone so value for the money you decide.

The ember kit comes with everything needed to build it AFAIK. It would seem to be against garage1217s purpose to sell a kit that requires you to source your own expensive components to finish their amp..

Either amplifier would make a great purchase. I would reccomend going the DIY route either way; there's nothing wrong with saving money and learning a new skill :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #23,308 of 46,527
  I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).

So...I'm super late to the show but here I am. Purchased my first motl or old school totl Sennheiser. I gotta say, I really like this phone (factor in novelty points of course)! Detailed but without ANY harshness. Running off the NFB-11 now which puts out 300mw onto 300ohm. Is that doing justice to this phone? Also these are new, do they need to settle and if yes about how long til that sweet spot?

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #23,309 of 46,527
So...I'm super late to the show but here I am. Purchased my first motl or old school totl Sennheiser. I gotta say, I really like this phone (factor in novelty points of course)! Detailed but without ANY harshness. Running off the NFB-11 now which puts out 300mw onto 300ohm. Is that doing justice to this phone? Also these are new, do they need to settle and if yes about how long til that sweet spot?

oh yea, thats definitely enough juice.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #23,310 of 46,527
I just got my HD650's today the first time I tried them they were so soft. Although they weren't as loud as I wanted them to be the softness of these headphones are great. The open sound is amazing too. The only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't loud enough because I like loud and really bassy headphones. These are somewhat bassy though. I think I'll only use these at home even though I bring my headphones everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back