Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #23,312 of 46,554
So...I'm super late to the show but here I am. Purchased my first motl or old school totl Sennheiser. I gotta say, I really like this phone (factor in novelty points of course)! Detailed but without ANY harshness. Running off the NFB-11 now which puts out 300mw onto 300ohm. Is that doing justice to this phone? Also these are new, do they need to settle and if yes about how long til that sweet spot?
I found they were sweet right out of the box. I was all in on my first listen. Smooth across the board. Fantastic cans! Enjoy

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #23,313 of 46,554
You guys have to realize the source plays a large part in these HPs performance.
Not enough power and forget it...you're not even in the game.

For the past few days I've been playing Goldilocks with 3 different decks connected to my Little Dot MKIII tube amp and the differences were pretty dramatic

Listening to a Social Distortion CD ( a Punk inspired Rock group with edgy distorted guitars) my Marantz player portrayed the guitars on the edge of being shrill which did make the music exciting yet I was limited to a certain volume if I didn't want to cross the unbearable line.
I could easily see this sound being too shrill at any level for someone.

Then I switched to my Oppo BD/SACD player and was amazed how smooth and different the sound was...it was actually too smooth for this music as it took a lot of the excitement out.
It was as though a compressor was being used which took out a little of the dynamics.
I could see others loving this sound as it wasn't harsh at all and pleasing in it's own way...especially with other types of music or even a differently produced rock CD.

I finally connected my Sony BD/SACD Player and found the perfect balance between the first two for me.
The upper mids weren't too boosted like the Marantz so I could hear more details and was able to turn it up much louder without crossing the shrill line.
So the Sony remained exciting to me unlike the Oppo player.

My point is all of us are really hearing different 650's especially when you take into account we all HEAR differently too.

BTW~anyone who complains these cans have no bass should blow their nose because I'm convinced their ears are a little plugged...no joke. :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #23,314 of 46,554
Anyone know of any good budget DACs that go well with the HD 650s? I've been using my iPod Touch 3G with a Fiio L9 cable for along time now. Even though my music sounds fantastic, I have a feeling I'm not getting the most out of them or my Lyr 2.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #23,315 of 46,554
Anyone know of any good budget DACs that go well with the HD 650s? I've been using my iPod Touch 3G with a Fiio L9 cable for along time now. Even though my music sounds fantastic, I have a feeling I'm not getting the most out of them or my Lyr 2.

If your budget is around $200 you could try a NFB12 or 15. Also might be able to score a NFB11 around there... Yulong D100Mk2. A few that comes to mind. All of those have a built-in SS amp too, so some variety to your Lyr2.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #23,319 of 46,554

Is the Schiit Modi 2 any good? It cost $100 which is in my price range.

Edit: if only I could find one being sold outside of Schiits's website. With Tax and Shipping via Schiit.com it comes out to almost $120 :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #23,320 of 46,554

Edit: if only I could find one being sold outside of Schiits's website. With Tax and Shipping via Schiit.com it comes out to almost $120
frown.gif

If you think that's expensive you should try buying the same thing in the UK.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #23,321 of 46,554

Edit: if only I could find one being sold outside of Schiits's website. With Tax and Shipping via Schiit.com it comes out to almost $120
frown.gif

I'm using the modi with my asgard 2 and it sounds great. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

For reference, I also tried hooking up iphone 4s directly to the asgard 2 via 3.5 to rca and I can tell you the modi makes a audible difference. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #23,323 of 46,554

frown.gif

Try www.hifishark.com and look for the original Modi as well. It has a nice, open soundstage.

Never heard the Lyr2, but I imagine that with the right tubes, it could probably compete with the BH Crack, which sounds very, very nice with the HD-650's. The Amperex OG's with your 650's should sound bring out the sweet midrange, whenever they arrive.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #23,324 of 46,554
Hmm I did a quick search and not a single Modi 2 popped up, only the original Modi. I'm not too familiar with Schiit's DACs so maybe there is a reason for this? In any case I still haven't decided, as I don't plan on buying a DAC for another 1-2 months or until I sell some stuff on eBay.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #23,325 of 46,554

Listening to the HD650's, been about four years since I had them last, so a lot of changes in my setup, and I don't really recall much about them.  I am listening now with some very high end aftermarket cables, and I am surprised at how much treble and overall detail they have, IMO very much like my T1 with the same cables, except the T1 is about a year old and the HD650 is new.  Main negative thing I am noticing is how constricted they sound, with aftermarket cables that expand the soundstage on my other headphones.  The return window is 30 days, don't know about the closed in sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back