Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #23,326 of 46,554
^^ The t1 will always make a huge sound stage improvement over the hd650. A good tube amp like the Crack will make up some of the difference in that regard. But what the Crack and 650 give that very few other hp's can, is that sublime tone of the mids. 

Give it a few days and let it grow on you...

popcorn.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #23,327 of 46,554
  ^^ The t1 will always make a huge sound stage improvement over the hd650. A good tube amp like the Crack will make up some of the difference in that regard. But what the Crack and 650 give that very few other hp's can, is that sublime tone of the mids. 

Give it a few days and let it grow on you...

popcorn.gif

I haven't tried my tube amp yet, it is very good.  I have heard a lot about the Crack, which is also supposed to be very good with the T1, but I'm no about to invest in another amp to pair with the 650.  I already have sublime tone in the mids with my LCD 2F, HE-6 and T1, thanks to my Metrum Octave MKII DAC, the amp paired with this DAC shouldn't make that big of a difference.  Haven't tried the stock cable and no intentions to do that.  I just expected more from the 650, soundstage width is about half of my other phones, maybe slightly taller though.  I normally use my Denon's for most of my listening.  One thing I do remember from when I first had the 650 is that they didn't have this kind of clarity and detail, remember them more laid back.  Like I said a lot of things in my setup have changed!

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #23,329 of 46,554
when there is either a vinyl sample or a vintage vinyl effect put on the music. It retrieves those details so well as to actually become too prominent in some tracks.

Vinyl playback if done right does not pop or hiss it can be as quiet as digital and you would be hard pressed to tell if you where listening to a record or digital source other than the amazingly good sound.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #23,330 of 46,554
Vinyl playback if done right does not pop or hiss it can be as quiet as digital and you would be hard pressed to tell if you where listening to a record or digital source other than the amazingly good sound.

I may be wrong but I don't think he's referring to actual vinyl. Think how Moby sounds, it's deliberate. I use Moby quite often purely to test resolution.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #23,331 of 46,554
I may be wrong but I don't think he's referring to actual vinyl. Think how Moby sounds, it's deliberate. I use Moby quite often purely to test resolution.

^This
It's mainly on electronic music often where an old track has been sampled or just has been added as an effect, I'm not talking about real vinyl. Please don't panic, these are not a defective unit. Nor am I criticising glorious vinyl. I'm just saying that coming from the HD650 I am hearing an emphasis on the top end that I'm not as used to. Nothing unusual or unexpected. The ultimate decider as to whether these get to stay or not is if I conclude that the extra detail is a positive and not just irritating.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #23,332 of 46,554

That of course all depends on your needle and if you properly cleaned it/replace the stylus and the cartridge.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #23,334 of 46,554

when there is either a vinyl sample or a vintage vinyl effect put on the music. It retrieves those details so well as to actually become too prominent in some tracks.

No offense, Jamie, but can you explain how to do it right?
I'm not saying you're wrong but I have my friendly doubts.
"as quiet as digital" is hard to believe since with great equipment you can actually hear the record turning.
Are you EQing out frequencies or using compressor/limiters?
Are you using $1000.00 record cleaners? (which in my experience with Nitty Gritty couldn't remove all dirt pops.)
Do the $5000.00 turntables fix this problem?

I can tell a lot of times when a professional CD is mastered from vinyl as you can here the odd pop.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to show you up... I'm just not a vinyl enthusiast.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #23,336 of 46,554

"as quiet as digital" is hard to believe since with great equipment you can actually hear the record turning.
Are you EQing out frequencies or using compressor/limiters?
Are you using $1000.00 record cleaners? (which in my experience with Nitty Gritty couldn't remove all dirt pops.)
Do the $5000.00 turntables fix this problem?

I can tell a lot of times when a professional CD is mastered from vinyl as you can here the odd pop.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to show you up... I'm just not a vinyl enthusiast.

Quiet vinyl records are as quiet as CD when you play them at normal listening levels. If you purposely crank up the volume to identify the pops and hisses, you'd hear them from TOTL digital setups too.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #23,337 of 46,554
"as quiet as digital" is hard to believe since with great equipment you can actually hear the record turning. Often, with a very good pressing, the dead space between the tracks sounds virtually silent, but not black-silent like digital. As mentioned above, listening volume plays an enormous role. I play my system loud. Really loud.
Are you EQing out frequencies or using compressor/limiters? Not me
Are you using $1000.00 record cleaners? (which in my experience with Nitty Gritty couldn't remove all dirt pops.) I've owned a VPI 16.5 for ~ 20 years and use a number of fluids for specific applications. It also helps that it was I who unsealed most of the LPs; they're in pristine condition. That's a crucial variable.
Do the $5000.00 turntables fix this problem? If you mean productive LP playback, if setup properly, yes.

I can tell a lot of times when a professional CD is mastered from vinyl as you can here the odd pop.Sure, it happens.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to show you up... I'm just not a vinyl enthusiast. I'm not, either, but I do love LPs, records, and albums.

Sorry to barge in; couldn't resist. Reply in bold.

:)

Edit: text

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #23,339 of 46,554

What?  
blink.gif

Yeah...I think people complained so much about CDS sounding so cold that some companies recorded off vinyl.
I believe the entire BLACK SABBATH CD box set was recorded off vinyl.
It was either that box set or some other BS CDs (I own so many versions)
That's just the ones that come to mind.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #23,340 of 46,554
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IJMZWKO
This box set? This vinyl to cd thing is very interesting stuff, I'd like to try more if any more come to mind (anyone).
Yeah...I think people complained so much about CDS sounding so cold that some companies recorded off vinyl.
I believe the entire BLACK SABBATH CD box set was recorded off vinyl.
It was either that box set or some other BS CDs (I own so many versions)
That's just the ones that come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back