Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #23,146 of 46,514

Funny, the cheap cable comes from the same seller. Lol

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #23,147 of 46,514
The one that was on eBay? If it was, I think it also has a 7236 tube, and a bunch of others. I found the Tung Sol tubes to be powerful with very deep bass, but I prefer 6080's or 7236's.

Have fun rolling with the Senns!

Bought it through CanuckAudioMart (great site and has it's U.S. and other equivalents). From the seller's message:

"
It has the speedball upgrade and an Alps pot. It comes with a nice Mazda input tube and 3 power tubes. 6AS7, 6080 and the great Tung Sol 5998"

Just ordered a gorgeous plank of curly maple to make a custom base for it - will treat with some aniline dyes and polyurethane to really make the figure pop! Ohhhhh the shivers :)

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #23,149 of 46,514
  Bought it through CanuckAudioMart (great site and has it's U.S. and other equivalents). From the seller's message:

"
It has the speedball upgrade and an Alps pot. It comes with a nice Mazda input tube and 3 power tubes. 6AS7, 6080 and the great Tung Sol 5998"

Just ordered a gorgeous plank of curly maple to make a custom base for it - will treat with some aniline dyes and polyurethane to really make the figure pop! Ohhhhh the shivers :)

Nice, I use CAM all the time as I'm in Alberta. Good scoop!

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #23,150 of 46,514
Is there any opinions on whether the HD600 might be more preferable than the HD650? From memory, several weeks ago, i was of the opinion that the HD600 sounded better overall the the HD650, but admittedly that was only on low-grade amping.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #23,151 of 46,514
Is there any opinions on whether the HD600 might be more preferable than the HD650? From memory, several weeks ago, i was of the opinion that the HD600 sounded better overall the the HD650, but admittedly that was only on low-grade amping.

I would say the HD 600 has a more natural sounding tuning than the HD 650, so I can see people's preference for it due to that reason. But the HD 650 edges the HD 600 out in terms of resolution. Both sound great on higher-end amping, but I found the HD 650 to scale up a bit more.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #23,152 of 46,514
I would say the HD 600 has a more natural sounding tuning than the HD 650, so I can see people's preference for it due to that reason. But the HD 650 edges the HD 600 out in terms of resolution. Both sound great on higher-end amping, but I found the HD 650 to scale up a bit more.

When you say "resolution", i interpret that as 'Transparency', because without transparency you wont hear the resolution. But, the HD600 is "Natural sounding" you say, that would definitely be a draw-card for me. I'll have to check-out the HD600 again. If it has the same or a similar overall sonic-signature as the HD650, and doesn't having the glaring fault of the HD650 (according to me, of course) and it's "more natural" as you say, i would happily forego a bit of resolution in favour of these other two attributes.

But i must say, on my first listen of the HD650 the other day with the C5D, i was immediately struck by an initial impression of very good depth, sort of like a 3 dimensional aspect, it was wow-factor for me. Maybe that's more typical of open-back designs, i don't know.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #23,153 of 46,514

When you say "resolution", i interpret that as 'Transparency', because without transparency you wont hear the resolution. But "Natural sounding" you say, that would definitely be a draw-card for me. I'll have to check-out the HD600 again. If it has the same or a similar overall sonic-signature as the HD650, and doesn't having the glaring fault of the HD650 (according to me, of course) and it's "more natural" as you say, i would happily forego a bit of resolution in favour of the other two attributes.

Ah I see, still not sure if they are necessarily one in the same though as many do separate resolution and transparency. It does have a similar overall sonic-signature. What was the glaring fault you found with the HD 650?

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #23,156 of 46,514
many do separate resolution and transparency.

This world is full of 'long-standing' misnomers my friend, even fundamental basic ones; i let my intelligence guide me, and when that fails i turn to God.

PM me for the fault, i consider it too negative to voice in this thread.

Not another secret, lol. What's the glaring fault as far as you're concerned?

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #23,159 of 46,514
  Hmm little confused but then again barely slept at all last night, your link just took me back to the link I had sent.  Unless you linked it earlier and I just didn't see it.

Don't worry, it is not so important. I proposed a cable from the same seller that you got your red cable from. I did my post on the smartphone and that is why somehow your text disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back