Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #22,593 of 46,499
From the POV of a pedestrian listener. Who cares?

smily_headphones1.gif

I would imagine someone looking for the best place to put their money would care VERY VERY much what the most effective link in the chain to upgrade would be. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #22,594 of 46,499
Jan 31, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #22,597 of 46,499
  Just a quick word for those looking for 65d0's... Amazon......Don't know why but Amazon has Sennheiser hd65o's for $290.00. Ask not what you can do for your supplier, so, I ordered another pair, love these things! www.amazon.com/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24ZD1S4SRVVZ8&coliid=IL0JCT5KQ7PUK

​

I totally jumped on this, and they sold out in a hurry.  I've been looking at them for awhile, and that was the cheapest I had seen them on Amazon.  Too good to pass up.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #22,598 of 46,499
  US-only: http://www.adorama.com/SEHD650.html?emailprice=t 
cool.gif

beerchug.gif

I followed your link and found them for $290.00 and made a quick purchase.  It said it was "Special Price".  If you do a generic search on the site the price is $499.95.  If you search Price Grabber you will see that NewEgg has them for $369.99.  I don't know were your got that link encoreAC but thanks a lot... Now I just have to go tell my wife what I did.
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #22,599 of 46,499

beerchug.gif

I followed your link and found them for $290.00 and made a quick purchase.  It said it was "Special Price".  If you do a generic search on the site the price is $499.95.  If you search Price Grabber you will see that NewEgg has them for $369.99.  I don't know were your got that link encoreAC but thanks a lot... Now I just have to go tell my wife what I did.
L3000.gif

Reddit is very useful for HD650 deals ;P. Too bad I am in Europe.

Congratz to your HD650! I am sure your wife will love you even more for this.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #22,600 of 46,499
I'm still subscribed to this thread and occasionally read it. I work with audio for a living and the HD 650's are a part of my daily listening chain for audio mastering. I have clients all over the world listening on various listening systems and sometimes, I rely solely on the translation of the 650s (from experience, the importance of an audio chain for me is: DAC, amp, headphones). A couple of observations:

1. I've changed the drivers on my 650's twice. The cushions, three times. There is no "burn-in" period. You simply learn the sound signature of these fine headphones. I've switched out drivers on these cans twice and have resumed working and the first impression is "okay, we're back in business" after a new driver pair (always change both at the same time).

2. Cables matter. I made my own cables using mogami star quad and they open up the translation of these headphones (to my ears) much better than the stock pair (which are somewhere collecting dust).

3. Upper frequencies (above 10k) for me are hit and miss with these headphones. I rely on my Bowers & Wilkins speakers to tell me what is true past that range, but below that - these headphones are money (worth every penny).

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say these headphones are responsible for me getting nothing but happy comments from clients all over the world, when they listen to the work I've done while using these headphones as a main referencing tool.

4. (the most important point): You are blessed if these headphones work for the ears God gave you (they don't work for everyone). I would like to meet whoever designed these headphones and give them a warm hug, you've made my life really easy.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #22,601 of 46,499

Hey! Yesterday i got my hd 650,upgraded from hd 558.And im using them with fiio e10k but i dont know,they dont sound that stuning ;/ maybe its dac/amp fault? What amp/dac combo would you recomend me for 200Eu? 

i THINK the e10k might be a bit underpowered to get the most out of the hd650s.  They should sound good but not their best.  In your budget a lot of people like the Schiit Modi/Magni stack.  I havent heard this combo myself (disclaimer), but just one option to conisder in that range.  I think the O2+ODAC is another option.

Yes, I also went the same path with headphones, and had the same initial impressions. I even went back to the HD-558's because at the time, I found them to reveal what seemed to be a lot more detail, and also exceptional sounding vocals. 

It took me three or four months to finally start accepting that the HD-650s sounded better, but after upgrading some of my gear, the 650's sounded far superior. I would also recommend the Magni/Modi combo if you're on a tight budget... or perhaps buy a used Bottlehead Crack.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #22,603 of 46,499
Now if I con only find some inexpensive but not cheep balanced cables to connect to my ALO Audio Rx Mk3 B+ I'll be set. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #22,604 of 46,499
I'm still subscribed to this thread and occasionally read it. I work with audio for a living and the HD 650's are a part of my daily listening chain for audio mastering. I have clients all over the world listening on various listening systems and sometimes, I rely solely on the translation of the 650s (from experience, the importance of an audio chain for me is: DAC, amp, headphones). A couple of observations:

1. I've changed the drivers on my 650's twice. The cushions, three times. There is no "burn-in" period. You simply learn the sound signature of these fine headphones. I've switched out drivers on these cans twice and have resumed working and the first impression is "okay, we're back in business" after a new driver pair (always change both at the same time).

2. Cables matter. I made my own cables using mogami star quad and they open up the translation of these headphones (to my ears) much better than the stock pair (which are somewhere collecting dust).

3. Upper frequencies (above 10k) for me are hit and miss with these headphones. I rely on my Bowers & Wilkins speakers to tell me what is true past that range, but below that - these headphones are money (worth every penny).

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say these headphones are responsible for me getting nothing but happy comments from clients all over the world, when they listen to the work I've done while using these headphones as a main referencing tool.

4. (the most important point): You are blessed if these headphones work for the ears God gave you (they don't work for everyone). I would like to meet whoever designed these headphones and give them a warm hug, you've made my life really easy.

The HD 650 is a truly special headphone. True, not all headphones work for everyone. I want to thank the designer of the HD 650 as well. Same with the designer of the DT 150. These two headphones are truly special for me. They were the only two headphones I have owned that required absolutely no adjustment period when I first got them. Just clarity and lack of harshness right off the bat to me. They just sounded right to me on the first listen on my system. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #22,605 of 46,499
  The HD 650 is a truly special headphone. True, not all headphones work for everyone. I want to thank the designer of the HD 650 as well. Same with the designer of the DT 150. These two headphones are truly special for me. They were the only two headphones I have owned that required absolutely no adjustment period when I first got them. Just clarity and lack of harshness right off the bat to me. They just sounded right to me on the first listen on my system. 

This. Received two days ago, using them with O2/ODAC, they are truly wonderful. Musical, clean, detailed yet organic and realistic when needed. Best headphones I have ever had. I love them. And superbly comfortable with stunning looks (IMO) and finish. Best Sennheiser headphones ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back