Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #22,606 of 46,550
I'm still subscribed to this thread and occasionally read it. I work with audio for a living and the HD 650's are a part of my daily listening chain for audio mastering. I have clients all over the world listening on various listening systems and sometimes, I rely solely on the translation of the 650s (from experience, the importance of an audio chain for me is: DAC, amp, headphones). A couple of observations:

1. I've changed the drivers on my 650's twice. The cushions, three times. There is no "burn-in" period. You simply learn the sound signature of these fine headphones. I've switched out drivers on these cans twice and have resumed working and the first impression is "okay, we're back in business" after a new driver pair (always change both at the same time).

2. Cables matter. I made my own cables using mogami star quad and they open up the translation of these headphones (to my ears) much better than the stock pair (which are somewhere collecting dust).

3. Upper frequencies (above 10k) for me are hit and miss with these headphones. I rely on my Bowers & Wilkins speakers to tell me what is true past that range, but below that - these headphones are money (worth every penny).

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say these headphones are responsible for me getting nothing but happy comments from clients all over the world, when they listen to the work I've done while using these headphones as a main referencing tool.

4. (the most important point): You are blessed if these headphones work for the ears God gave you (they don't work for everyone). I would like to meet whoever designed these headphones and give them a warm hug, you've made my life really easy.

I thought everyone who used Senn hp's for mastering used the 800. Would have never guessed the 650. Very cool though. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #22,607 of 46,550
I'm still subscribed to this thread and occasionally read it. I work with audio for a living and the HD 650's are a part of my daily listening chain for audio mastering. I have clients all over the world listening on various listening systems and sometimes, I rely solely on the translation of the 650s (from experience, the importance of an audio chain for me is: DAC, amp, headphones). A couple of observations:

1. I've changed the drivers on my 650's twice. The cushions, three times. There is no "burn-in" period. You simply learn the sound signature of these fine headphones. I've switched out drivers on these cans twice and have resumed working and the first impression is "okay, we're back in business" after a new driver pair (always change both at the same time).

2. Cables matter. I made my own cables using mogami star quad and they open up the translation of these headphones (to my ears) much better than the stock pair (which are somewhere collecting dust).

3. Upper frequencies (above 10k) for me are hit and miss with these headphones. I rely on my Bowers & Wilkins speakers to tell me what is true past that range, but below that - these headphones are money (worth every penny).

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say these headphones are responsible for me getting nothing but happy comments from clients all over the world, when they listen to the work I've done while using these headphones as a main referencing tool.

4. (the most important point): You are blessed if these headphones work for the ears God gave you (they don't work for everyone). I would like to meet whoever designed these headphones and give them a warm hug, you've made my life really easy.

I should unsubscribe this thread since I just placed an order for the Philips Fidelio X2 and reading text like these makes me seriously reconsider....

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #22,608 of 46,550
^^ Or do like me and just get both. 
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #22,610 of 46,550
I currently own both the HD650 and the Philips Fidelio X2, and love them both for different reasons.
They are both excellent, and have their own strengths and weaknesses...
The 650's lovely midrange and organic tone, and the X2's sub bass, soundstage, and dynamics.
On some recordings I prefer the 650's, and on some I prefer the X2.
Also, my mood dictates which one I prefer.
Very nice to own both.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #22,611 of 46,550
If I never own another pair of headphones I won't care. The 650's are that good.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #22,614 of 46,550
Agreed, they are a destination phone.

Yeah, I feel that too. Anything else that might be better sadly costs as much as a car.

I almost bought a second pair to have as a backup. :xf_eek:  That's how much I like them. 

I would consider doing the same if I could afford too. The thing is if the HD 650 was ever to be discontinued I'd be screwed because nothing else does what the 650 does. Imagine that.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #22,615 of 46,550
^^ IMO there are other hp's that offer a similar signature to the 650, but usually for more money. The lcd2.2 and the pm-1 come to mind. I actually prefer the signature of the lcd2.2 pre-fazor but it's just too heavy and uncomfortable. I can wear the 650 all day and keep some coinage in my pocket. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #22,616 of 46,550
And that's the thing about headphones. They are probably the only audio component where sound quality is not the only consideration. Comfort is right up there, for me at least.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #22,617 of 46,550
You are right about that. The comfort factor is very high for me. When I had the lcd2.2, I listened to it occasionally but most of the time I reached for the 650. Eventually I sold the lcd2.2. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #22,620 of 46,550
Yeah. Sound may be the main goal but if they're not fun to wear then out they go. 

The fit was a huge reason I ended up selling my Final Audio PH6. Those are probably the best closed-back headphone that doesn't need an amp, they're just ridiculously beautiful. Unfortunately the headband is kinda loose and the ear cups slide along rather than being on a "ratchet" system so if you jostle around a bunch they'll move. It's hard to enjoy the stellar sound when I'm fiddling with the ear cups.

I loved my LCD-2.2 to bits, it's still my pick for "best audio I've heard", but they were big and heavy and didn't stay in place too well. I remember that being one thing I was AMAZED by with the HD800s was that they felt like a comfy helmet that made music. 

Hey! Y'know what? We talk about the headphones themselves a lot, so let's try something different.

What are you listening to in your HD650s right now?

For me, it's Fall of Efrafa's three-album set. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back