Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #21,736 of 46,515
I suppose I can't know what any of that means since I have no experience with OTL amps, but I do like a clean analytical sound, so I believe I will enjoy my Lyr 2 when it gets here.

Sorry about the Audiophile speak, yes, you will enjoy the Lyr 2, it is an excellent amp.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #21,737 of 46,515
Also nice to hear that you're 50. I'm 51 and often get the feeling I'm relatively ancient compared to others on this thread.

Especially on the Senn 650 thread... if we were on the Grado thread, well then... 
eek.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #21,739 of 46,515

Well, I am still learning about head-fi, but one thing I've learned so far - it's a different animal from 2-channel speaker systems.

I was in a similar place, years ago, and had an interesting e-mail exchange with Jason Lim from NuForce on the same topic (and even discussing a Yamaha receiver). Receivers and AVRs are just fine, and they are competent and very enjoyable with headphones (even HD 650s); but in my experience, even an entry level dedicated headphone amp will be ear-opening for someone coming from a receiver/AVR for headphone listening. That was very much the case for me and started me on the journey that is Head-Fi. For starters, the AVR headphone outs are noisy.

And don't kid yourself: it *is* a journey. You listen to different systems, maybe attend meets and hear a variety of rigs, and start to acclimate to sound characteristics that work for you.

I'm 50 years old and have been a stereo fiend since I was a kid (my Dad and step-father were both heavy audiophiles with expensive systems), but the head-fi experience has been one lesson after another, speaking just about myself.

And, yes, I have a 2-channel system (but head-fi is where I do my critical listening these days):

Thank you for this post. I'll give my AVR some more listening time and research the world of dedicated amping of cans.
If you have anything at the ready, may you private message more more technical articles which go deeper into measurements/etc regarding the two methods?

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #21,740 of 46,515
Especially on the Senn 650 thread... if we were on the Grado thread, well then... :eek:

Funny. Actually the first good headphones I ever got were the Joe Grado SR 225 in 1991. I really loved the HP 2's with the Melos SHA-1

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #21,741 of 46,515

Thank you for this post. I'll give my AVR some more listening time and research the world of dedicated amping of cans.
If you have anything at the ready, may you private message more more technical articles which go deeper into measurements/etc regarding the two methods?

Well, I'm not an expert in sound science (there's a thread for that, on Head-Fi, which is good and the folks there are reasonable and forgiving of neophytes like myself, unlike on most other forums). I studied physics in college and have read a lot on the topic of Head-Fi (e.g. voltage for high impedance cans and current for low impedance cans, blah, blah, blah...).

But, the best way to learn more about the hobby is to attend a meet. Seriously. You get to speak with folks that have a lot of experience and knowledge and test drive a lot of gear with your own music and/or your own cans.

Here's my opinion: the benefits of moving to a dedicated headphone amp are real, but incremental and diminishing as you move up the food chain. That is, you need to sort-of acclimate to appreciate the sound differences (kind of like learning to appreciate great wine, as opposed to just good wine).

In the meantime, use your AVR and spend your money on your 'phones and your music collection (you are already off to a great start on the former - I firmly believe that for the money, the HD-650s are the greatest headphones in the world).

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #21,742 of 46,515
Yeah, the law of diminishing returns also keeps me from going full retard or listening to such (general consensus) advice at the high-end of the spectrum... 
Balance is usually struck somewhere in between the extremes.

I'm definitely enjoying the music section of this site though. Listened to an album last night 'The Future sound of London - Environment Five' on the HD 650s.. I felt like I was transported. Now that's a sound that I enjoyed up close to my ears.

FSoL is wonderful. I have listened to Environment and Dead Cities innumerable times on each of my headphones. HD-650s do great but AKGs analysis of sound and detail retrieval and HE-500s ortho lushness are also wonderful with these albums, which is probably why I've listened to them so many times. Each headphone offers a different experience of the same album. Would be great to hear this on speakers too.

Edit: I meant to say "Lifeforms": lovely album.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #21,743 of 46,515
Got my HD650 today. Only spent a few hours with them but for me, it was instant love. It is my favorite headphone. I prefer it to the DT880 Pro 250 Ohm and the Audio Technica AD700. I think I'll eventually add the Fidelio X1 or X2 to my collection and the Q701, and I'll be done with headphones. It's fun discovering all these different sounding headphones.

I use the AD700 with TV and PS4 because they are low impendance. The DT880 was my daily driver for PC until today, it'll be the HD650 from now. Running these through Aune T1 btw. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #21,744 of 46,515
What tube are you running on the Aune? Does the 650 sound too dark coming from the dt 880? That's my only reservation in ordering it.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #21,745 of 46,515
Voskhod ECC83 6DJ. The stock 6922 tube sounds a bit wider and brighter. Imaging isn't as accurate as with Voskhod. Love this Voskhod tube, it has a nice bass punch and while it doesn't produce as wide a soundstage as other tubes, it remains very accurate.

I wouldn't worry about the HD650 being dark. It's truly an amazing headphone. I do not regret buying it, not one bit.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #21,746 of 46,515
The Spendor is an excellent choice. If I was looking for speakers, that would be the one. I 've heard it several times and I absolutely agree that it has a lot in common with the 650.

Also nice to hear that you're 50. I'm 51 and often get the feeling I'm relatively ancient compared to others on this thread.

I'm pretty close to you guys as well.  (turning 48 this year) so please don't feel like you don't have people in the same boat.  :) 

Been into HiFi since I was 9, but never even knew there was an audiophile community like this until last year.  Glad that I finally found you guys!

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #21,747 of 46,515

I'm pretty close to you guys as well.  (turning 48 this year) so please don't feel like you don't have people in the same boat.  :) 

Been into HiFi since I was 9, but never even knew there was an audiophile community like this until last year.  Glad that I finally found you guys!

Glad you found Head-Fi, as well. I've abandoned most other audio forums for cultural reasons. Head-Fi.org has an inclusive, welcoming culture and I've enjoyed learning and participating.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #21,748 of 46,515

I'm 51. Maybe we should start an older audiophile thread?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back