Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #21,676 of 46,506
Get an HE560, it splits the differences between the 650 and 800 nicely, retains the "organic" sound, head stage, tone, really a great tweeter, IMO of course.

After spending time with my father's HE-560 recently, I completely agree. You would also be experiencing an entirely different driver technology (orthodynamic) should you go this route.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #21,677 of 46,506
I nearly pull the trigger for WA6SE for my 650s. I'm using old Valhalla and standard Bifrost to run them, i got the mixed feeling when a music don't play the way i want it, sometimes i found that my Stax SR002s perform better, and worse sometimes my IpodOrtofon Mhd-q>Ocharaku Donguri-raku would bang my head with some songs i couldn't feel the same with when i'm with 650s, i keep wondering whether it's the recording or it's my source component. 

I haven't auditioned the HDVD series, nor  Crack, i tried them but it was just a for brief moment and i doubt that i'd get significant improvement over my current setup. I was just wondering, were 650s that revealing or i just plain enjoying it with some tracks only? I thought that Bifrost and Valhalla were enough to pump my HD 650s to its full potential but i think i miscalculated something. Well i think i need to pull the trigger and get a rather high end amp and say goodbye to this feeling.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #21,678 of 46,506
I nearly pull the trigger for WA6SE for my 650s. I'm using old Valhalla and standard Bifrost to run them, i got the mixed feeling when a music don't play the way i want it, sometimes i found that my Stax SR002s perform better, and worse sometimes my IpodOrtofon Mhd-q>Ocharaku Donguri-raku would bang my head with some songs i couldn't feel the same with when i'm with 650s, i keep wondering whether it's the recording or it's my source component. 

I haven't auditioned the HDVD series, nor  Crack, i tried them but it was just a for brief moment and i doubt that i'd get significant improvement over my current setup. I was just wondering, were 650s that revealing or i just plain enjoying it with some tracks only? I thought that Bifrost and Valhalla were enough to pump my HD 650s to its full potential but i think i miscalculated something. Well i think i need to pull the trigger and get a rather high end amp and say goodbye to this feeling.

It could be that you just don't like the 650's but the Schiit gear will not bring out their full potential.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #21,679 of 46,506

It could be that you just don't like the 650's but the Schiit gear will not bring out their full potential.

More likely that there aspects of the HD650's sound that he is not content with. I've owned the Bifrost and it is a fine dac. Not sure how the Valhalla pairs with the HD650 but going by the quality of Schiit's other components, I'm skeptical of any assertion that a Schiit amp could stifle the HD650 to such a degree.

Tbh, I cringe when people emphasise and use terms such as "full potential" - particularly for the HD650. There seems to be a trend in this thread to seed doubt into the minds of new HD650 owners - some of whom have already invested wisely in suitable dacs and amps. This is the HD650 we're talking about. Yes, it scales well when comparing a laptop's headphone jack to a dedicated desktop setup, but unequivocally stating that it is hampered by a certain pairing gives the false impression that certain desirable traits can only be discerned through specific setups. This is misleading and a disservice to those who could be enjoying this wonderful headphone for little expense, but are instead put off by, imo, very questionable assertions.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #21,680 of 46,506
+1
More likely that there aspects of the HD650's sound that he is not content with. I've owned the Bifrost and it is a fine dac. Not sure how the Valhalla pairs with the HD650 but going by the quality of Schiit's other components, I'm skeptical of any assertion that a Schiit amp could stifle the HD650 to such a degree.

Tbh, I cringe when people emphasise and use terms such as "full potential" - particularly for the HD650. There seems to be a trend in this thread to seed doubt into the minds of new HD650 owners - some of whom have already invested wisely in suitable dacs and amps. This is the HD650 we're talking about. Yes, it scales well when comparing a laptop's headphone jack to a dedicated desktop setup, but unequivocally stating that it is hampered by a certain pairing gives the false impression that certain desirable traits can only be discerned through specific setups. This is misleading and a disservice to those who could be enjoying this wonderful headphone for little expense, but are instead put off by, imo, very questionable assertions.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #21,681 of 46,506

Thanks for the kind reminder that i should prioritize enjoying the novelty of owning this cans and listening to musics. I think i could agree with you, probably i just don't enjoy enough using 650s for a certain track, though i do love these cans, i think i just need a bit more air, i thought i could remedy this little flaw i'm not content with with another amp. Or might considering using this with a rather high quality recordings when my favorite artists release them.

That was just what i believe it, the term full potential is very subjective imo, and i think i'm using it knowing that it does sound different from amp to amp. I have both Asgard and Valhalla, and the aforementioned Ortofon Mhd-q, not really fancy amps at my disposal but the difference from amp to amp is rather noticable, that's why i keep believing that i might be able to listen to these cans better than i do now. The full potential i'm looking for, might just be a myth and doesn't exist, but maybe if i could have a bit more air, and a slightly brighter sound, i might found that full potential i'm looking for, i hope i'm not asking too much. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #21,682 of 46,506

Not claiming right or wrong as I believe the evaluation itself is subjective...

I will say from personal experience that:
HD-650 from my iPhones/iPad airs = terrible. Too soft, and unclear sounding. Might as well pick up a $50 pair of decent headphones for this level of performance.

HD-650 from my FIIO e17 (any player as source) sounds pretty good. I wouldn't want to return them immediately, but there just isn't enough juice to make them loud enough or really bring out the fullness of the sound. Loud enough to hear, but not enveloping as it has the ability to be.

HD-650 from my iFi iDSD Micro (any player as source) really makes the HD-650s sound better than any other headphones I've ever heard. If I never plugged them up to anything else, I'd not feel like I was missing anything. Killer bass, and nice mids. The highs are not painful like in the GRADO SR225e I tried for a while.

HD-650 from my SCHIIT Audio ASGARD2 just puts the icing on the cake. A little wider soundstage, a little more fullness and "weight" at lower volume than the iDSD Micro, and the BASS seems to tighten-up just a bit.

In terms of return on investment as I moved up, I'd say:

50% increase going to FIIO from iPhones/iPad Airs
25% increase going to iDSD Micro from FIIO
And 10% or less going from iDSD Micro to ASGARD2

To set the record straight, neither my Koss PortaPros, UE Super.Fi3s, or my VMODA Bass FREQs sound any better/worse after I go from the iPhone/iPads to the FIIO. The other amps just make them louder, but not noticeably better or more enjoyable. My Photive PH-BTX6 headphones kick up more bass going from the FIIO to the iDSD Micro or ASGARD2, but that's about all besides getting MUCH louder than I would ever listen to.

Just a personal account with no "theory", dogma, or hearsay to clutter things. I do not assert that my findings are universal or empirically prove able /dis provable. Just what I experience. Others are free and expected to feel otherwise.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #21,683 of 46,506
Have you tried rolling any tubes in your Valhalla? Amazing things happen with the HD-650 with the right tubes.
Thanks for the kind reminder that i should prioritize enjoying the novelty of owning this cans and listening to musics. I think i could agree with you, probably i just don't enjoy enough using 650s for a certain track, though i do love these cans, i think i just need a bit more air, i thought i could remedy this little flaw i'm not content with with another amp. Or might considering using this with a rather high quality recordings when my favorite artists release them.

That was just what i believe it, the term full potential is very subjective imo, and i think i'm using it knowing that it does sound different from amp to amp. I have both Asgard and Valhalla, and the aforementioned Ortofon Mhd-q, not really fancy amps at my disposal but the difference from amp to amp is rather noticable, that's why i keep believing that i might be able to listen to these cans better than i do now. The full potential i'm looking for, might just be a myth and doesn't exist, but maybe if i could have a bit more air, and a slightly brighter sound, i might found that full potential i'm looking for, i hope i'm not asking too much. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #21,684 of 46,506

I totally agree that with the 650 "full potential" is impossible to define because it can scale up as far as you want to take it, however the poster was specifically wondering if his Schiit gear was getting him there. It does not. I never said it sounded bad or shouldn't be used by anybody. I have owned Schiit gear myself and it sounds very good. I'm sure my current system doesn't get there either. The truth is we do the best we can with what we can afford.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #21,685 of 46,506
I'm curious as to what would get them there.
I totally agree that with the 650 "full potential" is impossible to define because it can scale up as far as you want to take it, however the poster was specifically wondering if his Schiit gear was getting him there. It does not. I never said it sounded bad or shouldn't be used by anybody. I'm sure my system doesn't get there either.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #21,686 of 46,506

You're not asking to much. Some people just don't like the basic character of the 650 and no amp or source will change that. It sounds like you do enjoy the 650 for the most part but are just looking for a little more refinement. That can certainly be attained with a better source and amp.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #21,687 of 46,506
I'm curious as to what would get them there.

I wouldn't claim to know, maybe those huge Woo mono blocks? All I can talk about is what I've owned and there is gear that gets closer to that goal than Schiit.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #21,688 of 46,506

I have just got the original Vali (I know, very late to the party) and am really enjoying them with my HD650'S. I have noticed though that there is huge variation between tracks and not always based on bit rates. Some tracks just seem a lot better recorded/mastered than others, sometimes even on the same album. No doubt I'll want to upgrade again soon but for the time being I'm just going to enjoy my current set up.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #21,689 of 46,506
  Big tubes for BIG sound...my intuitive feel...:p
( away with the tiny tubes..zzz)

I am waiting for more impressions on this one....post #11141028

That's a real looker, but plan a big budget if you want to roll tubes in that one....

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #21,690 of 46,506
most of my tubes are  "usd10 to 30bucks" 6as7s and 6sn7s NOS tubes from ebay...
not exactly mega bucks range...good enuf to have some FUN !!  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back