Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #21,511 of 46,499
Tonight I have had the pleasure of plugging the 650 into the Woo wa3 with some nice tubes. I'm about an hour into listening to the combo, so I'll reserve any judgments, but let me say that I've had a "wow" "hot damn" "holy schiit" moment.

Sounds like fun. That's what it's all about.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #21,512 of 46,499
I've auditioned the Orpheus numerous times myself and I agree about the HD 650 being the most similar of those headphones to the Orpheus. The Orpheus and the bass-heavy R10 are the two absolute best headphones I have ever heard. The both simply nail the tonality and sound more life-like than any other headphones I've heard, they simply sound real.

Yes sir! What is it about these old phones?

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #21,513 of 46,499
Well, the day has arrived to ask the question: Where do I go from Here?

I love my HD 650s, but post-upgrade of my desktop rig, and a lot of listening, I am finding I want something more. I am discovering a growing collection of music that doesn't sound pleasing with the HD 650s. Basically anything with exaggerated lower-mids becomes fatiguing, at some point.

I was trying to listen to Agnes Obel the other night and some of the tracks were downright painful (Agnes' voice is wonderful, if not a little sibilant, and the piano is a horror-show of bad audio mastering).

Part of my problem may be that I've been listening to my 'phones for at least 5 hours a night (often until 2AM before turning in, and I've wondered if I am just tired and need a break). I've also made a point of keeping the volume low(ish). On the Woo WA3, I rarely dial above 10 o'clock with the HD 650s.

Sometimes switching to my Grado RS2i is like opening a window and breathing fresh air ... until I come across music with elevated higher frequencies, where it doesn't sound like real music anymore, or I am listening to music dominated by warm guitars or vocals, where I really miss the HD 650s.

I've played around with EQ'ing, but what I end up doing in the above cases is just cranking down the mids, at which point I ask myself if I just need different cans.

Do I really need to spend $1,500.00 US for something like an HD 800, or am I better off getting a third pair of mid-tier 'phones and switching between them all, depending on the music?

I suspect anyone that's been a heavy user of the HD 650 has hit a similar point and I am very curious what's a next step that makes sense. Rants/thoughts welcomed.

Be aware that HD650 are very picky with gear pairing. I heard them with many different ones, some of them at the meets, and even costing way more than headphones and there is a only 2 I personally heard with are Maverick Audio TubMagic plus and WA7 with stock power supply. Based on what other members I can trust say you can use Bottlehead Crack

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #21,516 of 46,499
Should do them some justice. I take the approach of getting decent equipment at the expense of others addicted to "upgrading" lol. Gear that came out last year and considered by some to be "outdated" , that's the stuff I shop for, and usually discounted from new around 30%. If you're not digging the E10k down the road. Always check the FS forums on here. Most of these people are great to deal with.
Cheers!
Bought the E10k. Cheap compared to your guys gear but its my first so hopefully it's good!

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #21,517 of 46,499
  Well, the day has arrived to ask the question: Where do I go from Here?

I love my HD 650s, but post-upgrade of my desktop rig, and a lot of listening, I am finding I want something more. I am discovering a growing collection of music that doesn't sound pleasing with the HD 650s. Basically anything with exaggerated lower-mids becomes fatiguing, at some point.

I was trying to listen to Agnes Obel the other night and some of the tracks were downright painful (Agnes' voice is wonderful, if not a little sibilant, and the piano is a horror-show of bad audio mastering).

Part of my problem may be that I've been listening to my 'phones for at least 5 hours a night (often until 2AM before turning in, and I've wondered if I am just tired and need a break). I've also made a point of keeping the volume low(ish). On the Woo WA3, I rarely dial above 10 o'clock with the HD 650s.

Sometimes switching to my Grado RS2i is like opening a window and breathing fresh air ... until I come across music with elevated higher frequencies, where it doesn't sound like real music anymore, or I am listening to music dominated by warm guitars or vocals, where I really miss the HD 650s.

I've played around with EQ'ing, but what I end up doing in the above cases is just cranking down the mids, at which point I ask myself if I just need different cans.

Do I really need to spend $1,500.00 US for something like an HD 800, or am I better off getting a third pair of mid-tier 'phones and switching between them all, depending on the music?

I suspect anyone that's been a heavy user of the HD 650 has hit a similar point and I am very curious what's a next step that makes sense. Rants/thoughts welcomed.

I upgraded to HE-500... they go for ~400 used these days, and sound-wise a clear step up (to my ears at least), but needs the right amp

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #21,518 of 46,499
I believe older phones focus a bit more on tonality than modern headphones as a whole. Also those two phones were made with the goal of being the best in the world and are statement pieces of what they can accomplish in headphone audio.

That's true.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #21,519 of 46,499
Be aware that HD650 are very picky with gear pairing. I heard them with many different ones, some of them at the meets, and even costing way more than headphones and there is a only 2 I personally heard with are Maverick Audio TubMagic plus and WA7 with stock power supply. Based on what other members I can trust say you can use Bottlehead Crack

Just placed an order for the Bottlehead Crack.. excited and nervous at the same time.  it will be my first build but have read a lot of people saying its perfect for a first timer.  Just hope I can get through it and then get the Speedball upgrade done as well with the skills I acquire in the base build.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #21,520 of 46,499
This would definitely be my next move when I'm ready to leave my Valhalla. Does the crack use 6922 type tubes?
Just placed an order for the Bottlehead Crack.. excited and nervous at the same time.  it will be my first build but have read a lot of people saying its perfect for a first timer.  Just hope I can get through it and then get the Speedball upgrade done as well with the skills I acquire in the base build.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #21,522 of 46,499

I'll tell you from experience building the Crack wasn't that hard to build. It's time consuming but as long as you can follow the directions perfectly you should be fine. Good luck!

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #21,525 of 46,499
  Got Grado SR60s in '94, have Senn 650s on my head and the 800s are sitting in the corner.  
biggrin.gif

FWIW, I've seen that comment repeated a number of times, across different threads. I had a chance to listen to the HD 800 at a meet, connected to Glenn OTL amp, and I was impressed. In fact, that listening experience made me take a hard look at getting an OTL amp for my 650s.

So, you really don't use your 800s anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back