Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #21,496 of 46,514
  ^^ Now that I see Fearless and Lorspeaker chiming in, my curiosity is peaked.
blink.gif
  I have not looked at the Beyers since I owned the dt770/990 years ago. This dt150 doesn't look like the typical Beyer build quality. But I will certainly have a look at it.

..and I just brought my 15+ year old DT770 Pro 600-ohm Beyers into work to compare with my new HD650. Yea, I think I'm gonna have to leave these DT770s in the past, as comfortable as they are.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #21,499 of 46,514
There should be a thread dedicated on how to amp/DAC the HD 650s at different price ranges. I think it would be tremendous help to noobs like me that are confused by all these numbers and weird things like THD etc

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #21,500 of 46,514
Well, the day has arrived to ask the question: Where do I go from Here?

I love my HD 650s, but post-upgrade of my desktop rig, and a lot of listening, I am finding I want something more. I am discovering a growing collection of music that doesn't sound pleasing with the HD 650s. Basically anything with exaggerated lower-mids becomes fatiguing, at some point.

I was trying to listen to Agnes Obel the other night and some of the tracks were downright painful (Agnes' voice is wonderful, if not a little sibilant, and the piano is a horror-show of bad audio mastering).

Part of my problem may be that I've been listening to my 'phones for at least 5 hours a night (often until 2AM before turning in, and I've wondered if I am just tired and need a break). I've also made a point of keeping the volume low(ish). On the Woo WA3, I rarely dial above 10 o'clock with the HD 650s.

Sometimes switching to my Grado RS2i is like opening a window and breathing fresh air ... until I come across music with elevated higher frequencies, where it doesn't sound like real music anymore, or I am listening to music dominated by warm guitars or vocals, where I really miss the HD 650s.

I've played around with EQ'ing, but what I end up doing in the above cases is just cranking down the mids, at which point I ask myself if I just need different cans.

Do I really need to spend $1,500.00 US for something like an HD 800, or am I better off getting a third pair of mid-tier 'phones and switching between them all, depending on the music?

I suspect anyone that's been a heavy user of the HD 650 has hit a similar point and I am very curious what's a next step that makes sense. Rants/thoughts welcomed.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #21,501 of 46,514
There should be a thread dedicated on how to amp/DAC the HD 650s at different price ranges. I think it would be tremendous help to noobs like me that are confused by all these numbers and weird things like THD etc

Don't get too hung up on the numbers. The specifications provide little to no information on how an amp will actually sound. The only way to learn is to start listening to amps yourself. Try things that you will easily be able to return.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #21,502 of 46,514
Well, the day has arrived to ask the question: Where do I go from Here?

I love my HD 650s, but post-upgrade of my desktop rig, and a lot of listening, I am finding I want something more. I am discovering a growing collection of music that doesn't sound pleasing with the HD 650s. Basically anything with exaggerated lower-mids becomes fatiguing, at some point.

I was trying to listen to Agnes Obel the other night and some of the tracks were downright painful (Agnes' voice is wonderful, if not a little sibilant, and the piano is a horror-show of bad audio mastering).

Part of my problem may be that I've been listening to my 'phones for at least 5 hours a night (often until 2AM before turning in, and I've wondered if I am just tired and need a break). I've also made a point of keeping the volume low(ish). On the Woo WA3, I rarely dial above 10 o'clock with the HD 650s.

Sometimes switching to my Grado RS2i is like opening a window and breathing fresh air ... until I come across music with elevated higher frequencies, where it doesn't sound like real music anymore, or I am listening to music dominated by warm guitars or vocals, where I really miss the HD 650s.

I've played around with EQ'ing, but what I end up doing in the above cases is just cranking down the mids, at which point I ask myself if I just need different cans.

Do I really need to spend $1,500.00 US for something like an HD 800, or am I better off getting a third pair of mid-tier 'phones and switching between them all, depending on the music?

I suspect anyone that's been a heavy user of the HD 650 has hit a similar point and I am very curious what's a next step that makes sense. Rants/thoughts welcomed.

Interesting, my story is kind of the opposite where I have lived with statement phones for a few years and ended up coming back to the 650's. I think we all get to the point where we have to try something new once in a while. For me, the thing that really brought the 650's up to the next level was the Sennheiser amp balanced. I should say that the music I mostly listen to plays to the 650's strengths with a lot of fairly naturally recorded acoustic music.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #21,503 of 46,514
Interesting, my story is kind of the opposite where I have lived with statement phones for a few years and ended up coming back to the 650's. I think we all get to the point where we have to try something new once in a while. For me, the thing that really brought the 650's up to the next level was the Sennheiser amp balanced. I should say that the music I mostly listen to plays to the 650's strengths with a lot of fairly naturally recorded acoustic music.

Thanks for your thoughts on this... the Sennheiser amp looks like an end-game solution and congrats!

What's interests me how upgrading my desktop rig's electronics, and switching to tubes, really emphasized both the good and bad of each of my cans. That is, Roberta Flack never sounded so glorious (original tape hiss and all
wink.gif
 ) and Agnes Obel's piano never sounded so painful. Similar experience with with my Grados, but with different tracks. It really is a journey, this Head-Fi thing.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #21,504 of 46,514
Thanks for your thoughts on this... the Sennheiser amp looks like an end-game solution and congrats!

What's interests me how upgrading my desktop rig's electronics, and switching to tubes, really emphasized both the good and bad of each of my cans. That is, Roberta Flack never sounded so glorious (original tape hiss and all :wink:  ) and Agnes Obel's piano never sounded so painful. Similar experience with with my Grados, but with different tracks. It really is a journey, this Head-Fi thing.

It really is a journey. I got my first grados and Melos amp back in 1992 and still at it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #21,506 of 46,514
  Got Grado SR60s in '94, have Senn 650s on my head and the 800s are sitting in the corner.  
biggrin.gif

Somewhat similar story on my part, approx. 3 yrs ago;  after ordering the 800s I sold the 650s thinking I was upgrading (live & learn).  Within a week or so after listening to the HD800 I began to miss really miss my HD650s.  Within a few weeks I had another pair of HD650s & a few months later I sold the 800s with no regrets.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #21,507 of 46,514
Tonight I have had the pleasure of plugging the 650 into the Woo wa3 with some nice tubes. I'm about an hour into listening to the combo, so I'll reserve any judgments, but let me say that I've had a "wow" "hot damn" "holy schiit" moment.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #21,509 of 46,514
Once I receive my OTL amp.....I may revisit these cans again

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #21,510 of 46,514
  When I compared the hd600/650/800 and he-90...the hp signature that was most similar to the Orpheus was the 650.
ph34r.gif

I've auditioned the Orpheus numerous times myself and I agree about the HD 650 being the most similar of those headphones to the Orpheus. The Orpheus and the bass-heavy R10 are the two absolute best headphones I have ever heard. The both simply nail the tonality and sound more life-like than any other headphones I've heard, they simply sound real.

I've had the chance to compare my friend's HD 650 and my HD 600 heavily lately and I liked the HD 650 enough to decide I plan on getting the HD 650, it's the better headphone to my ears in terms of refinement and I prefer it's sound signature as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back